The Student Room Group

Applying for war studies/int relations AAA courses with AACCE

Im hoping to apply for War Studies at KCL, Birmingham and Kent. KCL War Studies is my absolute no.1 choice. They entry requirements are AAA. They say this excludes general studies in provisional offers but is sometimes accepted if a student has fallen just short. Birmingham and Kent ask for ABB.

As there's not enough "good" universities that do War Studies I've been thinking about applying for International Relations at both Exeter and Durham. Exeter ask for "A*AA - AAB" whilst Durham ask for "AAA".

My AS grades are:
English lit A
History A
Economics C
Politics C
Classic Civilizations E
and General Studies A

When I went to talk to the head UCAS teacher at my school the first time (when only considering war studies) he seemed to approve of the idea. The second time he said "I think you will probably end up at Kent or Birmingham. From a school like ours the other three are more likely to ask for the higher grade boundaries." His snobbish "school like ours" comment meaning a prestigious state grammar.

Realistically am I likely to get an offer, if only a provisional offer? I'm retaking pretty much every exam, including my As to bolster the marks. My economics was close to an A in the first module but I knowingly messed up the second and so I believe i'll make considerable ground up on the that with the retake in January. Furthermore my politics was self taught the night before the exam and I believe with proper revision over Christmas I could achieve an A in the retakes.
Reply 1
For the record this teacher has a history of being pessimistic regarding university applications and inspired one student last year to not apply to Bristol at all. Results came he'd done far better than expected rang Bristol explaining the situation and they let him in.
Don't apply to any courses you won't be happy doing. If you have your heart set on War Studies, then would you really be happy with International Relations? Don't forget you can apply with just the 3 WS courses and then add others later if you wish.

As for your grades... What your teacher meant was that university admissions tutors realise that you have gone to a very good school and have generally had very good teaching - in contrast to some poorer schools. They will therefore expect you to show high ability and prove that you haven't just been spoon-fed.

My advice would be to apply for the courses you want to do and see what happens. If you get an offer from King's - which is definitely THE place to take War Studies - then it will be up to you to get the AAA required. If the Birmingham and Kent offers come through, then you also have those as options.

And if none of them make you an offer, why not work your backside off, get the best A-levels you can (hopefully AAA) and apply next year?
Reply 3
I have looked into International Relations at those unis though and I think I'd enjoy it, be up to standard and be stretched further, so that's why I want to apply there. I know what he meant I just didn't like the way it was expressed, just sounded a bit snobby to me. I do take your point about working my arse off though and I'm going to do that and revise all through now and Christmas to give myself the best chance of getting in.

I feel confident I can get the AAA required if given the opportunity, I'm just curious if they're likely to give me a conditional offer, what do you think the chances of this are? I forgot to put it in my op but I'm also doing and Extended Project Qualification on our involvement in Afghanistan in both a diplomatic and military context.

Sorry if I'm coming across as overthinking it, just starting to get the nerves that come with UCAS applications :L.
I know what you mean about over thinking it! Apply where you want and see what happens. If it works out ok, then no problem. If you get a difficult choice such as being rejected for War Studies but accepted for Intl Relations then cross that bridge when you come to it - though your 2 choices are pretty tough for this subject.

One practical problem, however, might be writing a PS that covers both subjects very well. Have you written it yet?

And just to throw something else into the mix, if you did IR at undergraduate level there are MA courses in War Studies, including King's.
Reply 5
I've just finished my PS written for both and I think it's written quite well (if i say so myself!). I've written it so that it doesn't give the impression that I'm applying for both IR and War Studies, rather it focuses on my interest on international relations and politics and when the failure of those leads to war. Is this advisable or should I allocate specific paragraphs each subject? I'm sure from reading it each university will realise I'm not just applying for their subject but do you think I should make it more overt?

Also after some thought I've decided to change Durham's IR for Sheffield's International Politics and Security Studies as it seems like a better fit for me in lots of ways. They also ask for AAB which makes up the middle ground in entry requirements which seems better.
Original post by junior1211
I've just finished my PS written for both and I think it's written quite well (if i say so myself!). I've written it so that it doesn't give the impression that I'm applying for both IR and War Studies, rather it focuses on my interest on international relations and politics and when the failure of those leads to war. Is this advisable or should I allocate specific paragraphs each subject? I'm sure from reading it each university will realise I'm not just applying for their subject but do you think I should make it more overt?

Also after some thought I've decided to change Durham's IR for Sheffield's International Politics and Security Studies as it seems like a better fit for me in lots of ways. They also ask for AAB which makes up the middle ground in entry requirements which seems better.

Sorry, can't help with the PS - I wouldn't be sure how to approach it.
I think you have every right to apply to any of those universities, as your subject choices in my opinion are spot on. Don't sell yourself short, as many candidates do, by going for 'safe' options and not aiming higher. Say if you came out with AAAB+, A in GS at A2, I bet you'd feel devastated if you had not applied to KCL, whereas if you apply, the worst that can happen is that they reject you. I am pretty sure you'll get a place in Birmingham and Kent anyway, so it's definitely worth it. With regards to your personal statement, I feel that you can definitely get the balance right, as I was in a similar position to you, applying to IR with Economics, IR and History, and PPE courses. I haven't done too badly either, having received 2 offers from Manchester and Birmingham already, with the former coming within a week of my application in mid-October.
Reply 8
Just an update on this, i got all 5 of my offers back really quickly once i'd sent it off. My advice for any uni applicants for any subjects would be apply for everything and anything you want at any 4 unis you want and make just 1 application that is safe. dont set your heart on any unis prematurely; even now with all 5 back I'm not sure which one to go to. The which website is really good for getting an idea for likelihood of your application being accepted. A rejection isn't the worse thing in the world and honestly what are the chances of all 5 unis rejecting you from their course?
As someone who works in Admissions, I can tell you that 'what school you went to' in itself doesnt figure in the decision. We go entirely from predicted grades, personal statement and reference. Yes, more public school types win through - but often because they are more skilled at the process, coached on writing PSs, more confident etc. We certainly do not adjust grade requirements for grammar school students. Your teacher is therefore talking bunkum and is best ignored on this point.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending