The Student Room Group

I'm struggling in maths! Keep failing.

Ok. I'm in Year 11 and I'm doing my maths GCSE (Edexcel). In Year 10 I did 2/3 papers and got Cs. However, my target is an A.

My school keep testing me every half term on what we have learnt. I thought I knew quite a bit to scratch a B but the papers are ridiculously hard and I cannot keep up with my friends who are A/A* level. Instead, I only just got a D! I keep getting awful grades and it's annoying. My school have told me I have to resit the paper because my grades were awful compared to my target. So annoyed! I know I cannot achieve an A but I just want a C or B.

What can I do? I revise and try practice questions but still fail when it comes to papers. I'm an academic person more than a practical person but I just cannot do maths (or physics). Help!
Reply 1
just take your time with it and stop putting yourself down :smile: you and your friends are different, maybe you have just not found your style of learning yet. I'd say go through your book from the lesson and note down things your not as confident with and go see your teacher, or even ask your friends to help. questions wise try and do them and circle the ones you are struggling with, try to work out the area it is in and go over that area again and then go back to the question have another go at it and if your still having trouble then go see your teacher :smile::smile:

nothing is impossible :smile:
Original post by Pokrok
Ok. I'm in Year 11 and I'm doing my maths GCSE (Edexcel). In Year 10 I did 2/3 papers and got Cs. However, my target is an A.

My school keep testing me every half term on what we have learnt. I thought I knew quite a bit to scratch a B but the papers are ridiculously hard and I cannot keep up with my friends who are A/A* level. Instead, I only just got a D! I keep getting awful grades and it's annoying. My school have told me I have to resit the paper because my grades were awful compared to my target. So annoyed! I know I cannot achieve an A but I just want a C or B.

What can I do? I revise and try practice questions but still fail when it comes to papers. I'm an academic person more than a practical person but I just cannot do maths (or physics). Help!

I was also in that position in year 10. I was getting Cs in the tests in class and I wanted to get an A by the end of year 11 but I seemed to reach a dead end.

What I did was use the mathswatch CD to understand the topics and did as many questions as I could on topics I didn't know how to do. Maths is just about practice, so the more you do the more you'll be able to do it in the exam :smile: (I got an A* at the end so I was obviously really chuffed!) Good luck!
Original post by Pokrok

I also found maths hard in year 11. The only thing you can really do it experiment with different ways of revising. I used to write down the question and then make a step by step guide of how to answer it and that seemed to stick whilst I was in the exam. As for physics make sure you know and understand you theory because that will help you to not only answer the theory questions but to understand what it wants you to work out for the maths bit especially if they try and mix the questions up to confuse people. When you sit your paper try and relax and go through things in your head before you start I always thought through definitions and how numbers to a certain power meant different things. good luck and I hope this has helped :smile:
Revise, revise, revise! Nothing is impossible
^^woh. Didn't realise how cheesy that sounded :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest