The Student Room Group

Feel like I'm bad at everything since I started my A levels

So, today is my first day of Year 13, and I had a maths test this morning, which I think I did possibly the worst I have ever done in. I'm doing CS, Physics and Maths.

In my GCSEs I got really good results, but now I'd be lucky to get a B on my class assessments (Except for computer science that's my best subject) and I don't feel good at anything that's actually important any more. It's only a matter of time before I start failing CS as well unless I do something about it.

I used to love most of my subjects in GCSE but I probably just liked being good at something
Reply 1
Original post by Cheemgles
So, today is my first day of Year 13, and I had a maths test this morning, which I think I did possibly the worst I have ever done in. I'm doing CS, Physics and Maths.

In my GCSEs I got really good results, but now I'd be lucky to get a B on my class assessments (Except for computer science that's my best subject) and I don't feel good at anything that's actually important any more. It's only a matter of time before I start failing CS as well unless I do something about it.

I used to love most of my subjects in GCSE but I probably just liked being good at something

i have no advice for you.. just reassurance that it's the exact same for me :frown:
all the teachers said to us "in a levels you start with lower grades but you will see improvement" but i started with Bs and am still getting Bs. i don't know what i'm doing wrong TT

Hi @Cheemgles,

Please don't stress about this, you will definitely improve over the two years.

I think one thing people definitely forget when going from GCSE's to A-Levels is that you've gone from studying around eight or so subjects to a certain level and then you go on to study three in a lot more detail and you also learn more topics and information then you did at GCSE.

I remember in the beginning feeling really disheartened by the grades and marks I was receiving however you cannot come into A-Levels expecting to get A's from the beginning some people are fortunate to be able to do this however for some its just not possible.

For computer science I remember struggling quite a bit on this sometimes and felt like my classmates understood everything much quicker, some recommendations I would have for this subject as this is the only one I did the same. You can access Isaac computer science without having an account and then you can learn all about the different topics in detail and complete some practice questions. If your college has an account with them then you could ask your teacher if you can have an Isaac computer science workbook as I found this really useful.

Another tip for computer science is look into coding and make sure you understand the basics, however you will expand on this across the two years and learn a lot more.

Give time to improve, for my college we did tests every half term so maybe if you see no improvement then discuss with your teachers and see what guidance then can provide.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

hey dw just persevere is the most important thing. Do not back down no matter what and keep going. I really struggled with Alevel biology and was achieving low grades and managed to get an A* in ghe end. So worth it if you just put in the extra effort all throughout year 13. My biggest piece of advice is to keep consistency with ur revision. Open your mind up as much as possible to doing exam qs, flashcards, watching videos, asking trachers for advice etc!! ask ur own classmates fhat achieve excellent grades
Reply 4
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hi @Cheemgles,

Please don't stress about this, you will definitely improve over the two years.

I think one thing people definitely forget when going from GCSE's to A-Levels is that you've gone from studying around eight or so subjects to a certain level and then you go on to study three in a lot more detail and you also learn more topics and information then you did at GCSE.

I remember in the beginning feeling really disheartened by the grades and marks I was receiving however you cannot come into A-Levels expecting to get A's from the beginning some people are fortunate to be able to do this however for some its just not possible.

For computer science I remember struggling quite a bit on this sometimes and felt like my classmates understood everything much quicker, some recommendations I would have for this subject as this is the only one I did the same. You can access Isaac computer science without having an account and then you can learn all about the different topics in detail and complete some practice questions. If your college has an account with them then you could ask your teacher if you can have an Isaac computer science workbook as I found this really useful.

Another tip for computer science is look into coding and make sure you understand the basics, however you will expand on this across the two years and learn a lot more.

Give time to improve, for my college we did tests every half term so maybe if you see no improvement then discuss with your teachers and see what guidance then can provide.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Rebecca

I don't have two years, I barely even have one to turn my grades around. I also don't know where to even start with studying
(edited 7 months ago)

In that case, you need to study more. FOr a level what you need to do is keep studying. That's what I did, only reason why I didn't underachieve that badly in my a levels.

I don't have two years, I barely even have one to turn my grades around. I also don't know where to even start with studying

pomodoro method. use 1focus and stayfocusd to block the procrastinating websites. force yourself to study through a strict study buddy.

Hi @Cheemgles,

Sorry I must have missed the bit about you saying you are in Year 13.

My advice would be to maybe focus on the basics of all the subjects so you at least have that or you could focus on the subject you struggle most with so that by the end you are revising something you have a good understanding of.

I would recommend talking to your teachers and seeing what areas you need to improve on and any resources they can provide and also maybe creating a revision timetable to split up your time equally across your three subjects.

Hope that helps! Let me know if there is anything else :smile:

Rebecca
Reply 7

Don't worry about it. Think about where you could improve. Enjoy the challenge...and practice, practice, practice, and then look at practical situations where you could apply what you learn. You are not alone struggling with A-levels, as many get a shock how different A-levels are from GCSEs. BTW I got a very very low mark in my very first test at A-level Maths, but went on to uni to study a quant degree (Econ and Maths) at Manchester Uni.
Reply 8
Original post by mymelo
i have no advice for you.. just reassurance that it's the exact same for me :frown:
all the teachers said to us "in a levels you start with lower grades but you will see improvement" but i started with Bs and am still getting Bs. i don't know what i'm doing wrong TT

Go on YouTube and find videos which tell you how to gain maximum marks for questions.It is a revelation!
I guess I'm not the only one😔
Reply 10
Original post by siocrystal
I guess I'm not the only one😔

What subjects are you doing?Have you changed school?
I'm doing a computing course equivalent to 3 A levels.
And btw I just started college after being homeschooled for 2 years
Reply 13
Well that is a lot of new stuff to be handling at one time.What is it you are finding most difficult.Are you happy with your subject choice?
Original post by Scotney
Well that is a lot of new stuff to be handling at one time.What is it you are finding most difficult.Are you happy with your subject choice?

Well I really do want to to this course but the first two units are very difficult. It's only been a week aswell and I just feel soo nervous every time I enter college.
Reply 15
I think your nervousness about college is very relatable and I can assure you many ,many others will be feeling the same.Many will be feeling very self conscious,worried about whether people will like them or not plus everyone wants to make friends and fit in.This is exhausting in of itself plus then you have the course.
Re College this will definitely get easier as time passes and you make friends but anywhere new is daunting and tiring so make sure you get plenty of rest
With the course do not be afraid to ask if you are finding a concept difficult Believe me there will be at least 10 others who wish they were brave enough to ask and will be very grateful.You could also try and catch your tutor after class.It is very early days yet so be kind to yourself in the meantime.I am sure things will begin to improve soon.
Original post by Scotney
I think your nervousness about college is very relatable and I can assure you many ,many others will be feeling the same.Many will be feeling very self conscious,worried about whether people will like them or not plus everyone wants to make friends and fit in.This is exhausting in of itself plus then you have the course.
Re College this will definitely get easier as time passes and you make friends but anywhere new is daunting and tiring so make sure you get plenty of rest
With the course do not be afraid to ask if you are finding a concept difficult Believe me there will be at least 10 others who wish they were brave enough to ask and will be very grateful.You could also try and catch your tutor after class.It is very early days yet so be kind to yourself in the meantime.I am sure things will begin to improve soon.

Thx sm❤️
Reply 17
Original post by siocrystal
Thx sm❤️

No problem and if there are you know where we are.🙂

Quick Reply

Latest