The Student Room Group

Mental Health Nursing Interviews

Heey! I couldn't see a thread which was just for the interviews on mental health nursing. So thought I'd start one :biggrin: Has anybody had any interviews yet? And what type of things have they been asking? I'm applying to Chester, Keele, Edge Hill, University of Central Lancaster and Liverpool John Moores so any advise would be useful! - Thanks :]

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was in the last ucas cycle but they ask things like "Why mental health nursing as opposed to the other fields", "What qualities and values do you posses", "What current issues to you think are important and how would you tackle them"
Original post by Soph.Jade
I was in the last ucas cycle but they ask things like "Why mental health nursing as opposed to the other fields", "What qualities and values do you posses", "What current issues to you think are important and how would you tackle them"

Thank you very much(: were the group interviews okay?x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by jademichelle1993
Thank you very much(: were the group interviews okay?x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had an individual interview though they watch you in the waiting room and stuff to see how you communicate. If you have group interviews just don't take over but make sure your voice is heard. Anything you say should have a point - don't say stuff for the sake of being heard :smile:
Original post by Soph.Jade
I had an individual interview though they watch you in the waiting room and stuff to see how you communicate. If you have group interviews just don't take over but make sure your voice is heard. Anything you say should have a point - don't say stuff for the sake of being heard :smile:

Aaah did you talk to others in the waiting room then? Hope hope hopeee it goes okay! Thank you very much for advise! :]

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by jademichelle1993
Aaah did you talk to others in the waiting room then? Hope hope hopeee it goes okay! Thank you very much for advise! :]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah lol, I feel awkward in silence so I just asked a few "Where are you from" "Where else have you applied" type of questions and we all got chatting - it also helped with my nerves so I'd deffo recommend talking to them - you may even make some good friends so you're not alone on the first day of freshers
Reply 6
I have applied for Mental Health at Northumbria, Teeside, City, London South Bank and University of West London.

I have two interviews currently, one at Northumbria this Thursday and another at South Bank on 29th.

For those who have had their interviews...is it best to focus on current issues in mental health....or in nursing as a whole?

Thanks
Original post by NicTre
I have applied for Mental Health at Northumbria, Teeside, City, London South Bank and University of West London.

I have two interviews currently, one at Northumbria this Thursday and another at South Bank on 29th.

For those who have had their interviews...is it best to focus on current issues in mental health....or in nursing as a whole?

Thanks

I have an interview at Northumbria on Thursday too! So nervous as it's my first one!
Reply 8
Yeah it's my first one too Bethany, I'm terrified..just don't know what to expect! I've been reading up on current issues and stuff but have no clue what theyl focus on!

Where else have you applied?
I've got interviews for Northumbria, Teesside and Manchester, but I haven't heard back from Leeds met and Edinburgh Napier! What about you?

Same I don't know whether to look at nursing issues in general or just focus on mental health, I am finding the bbc news website helpful though!!
Reply 10
Hi :smile:

I've applied to Edge Hill, Chester, LJMU, Uclan and Brighton for Mental Health Nursing.
I've been offered an interview for both LJMU and Uclan - really want to go to Edge Hill so fingers crossed for an interview there!

My Uclan interview is on Friday, so nervous! Will let you know how it goes!
Original post by BethanyRosex
I've got interviews for Northumbria, Teesside and Manchester, but I haven't heard back from Leeds met and Edinburgh Napier! What about you?

Same I don't know whether to look at nursing issues in general or just focus on mental health, I am finding the bbc news website helpful though!!

Bethany I've just signed up for this website today but I had the interview for Northumbria on thursday with you. Have you heard anything back?

I got an email the same day saying I was strong enough to go to the next stage. I've sent off the second reference they've asked for on Saturday so they should get it tomorrow.

I've heard nothing from Nottingham, Teeside or Derby. Edinburgh just sent an email a few weeks ago saying they've received my application and are considering it.
Hi what was your name sorry? :smile: I got an email too a few hours later saying the same thing, but I haven't sent off my character reference yet, who did you use?

Yeah I got an email from Edinburgh too and have another interview for Teesside. I really hope we get into Northumbria!
Reply 13
I have received the email too, my problem is I can't get an academic reference from my previous degree tutor as it was over 4 years ago.. I'm now waiting to see if I can give one from previous employer. Rather worried it is going to effect my application.

Is there anyone who has had a similar issue and can advise the best thing to do?
Hi what was your name sorry? :smile: I got an email too a few hours later saying the same thing, but I haven't sent off my character reference yet, who did you use?

Yeah I got an email from Edinburgh too and have another interview for Teesside. I really hope we get into Northumbria!

I'm Ruby :smile:

I was going to use the same person I always use for a character reference but couldn't because she's a family friend. It usually just says must not be a friend or relative so that threw me a bit. I called admissions and asked what I could do since it only really left someone from an employment. They said I could just use a colleague from my current work place even though they've only known me for 8 months. It should be fine if you know anyone working in healthcare or have volunteered anywhere to use them. They are ok on stretching the 2 year stipulation if it's someone relevant.

Original post by NicTre
I have received the email too, my problem is I can't get an academic reference from my previous degree tutor as it was over 4 years ago.. I'm now waiting to see if I can give one from previous employer. Rather worried it is going to effect my application.

Is there anyone who has had a similar issue and can advise the best thing to do?

I thought it had to be within 5 years and it was ok?

Call the admissions office and ask just to make sure and see what they say. That's what I did, you can't go wrong if they've been the ones to advise you.
Hi Ruby I can remember which one you were :smile:

Yeah that's the same situation as me I normally use my mam's friend so I had no idea who to use and I haven't really been in employment for over 2 years so I can't use my manager, I rang them and they said I could use my old tutor from school so I need to get that this week! I thought the interview was much better than I expected it to be :smile:

Will Northumbria be your first choice?
Hi Ruby I can remember which one you were :smile:

Yeah that's the same situation as me I normally use my mam's friend so I had no idea who to use and I haven't really been in employment for over 2 years so I can't use my manager, I rang them and they said I could use my old tutor from school so I need to get that this week! I thought the interview was much better than I expected it to be :smile:

Will Northumbria be your first choice?

I think we all must have done ok at the interview. The person sitting next to me (Jasmine I think) was a little quieter but everyone got a good chance to talk.

It's between Northumbria and Nottingham. I'm only interested in Nottingham though since it's condensed to two years and then the third year is a masters. It would be better for me to have a higher qualification since I already have a degree. I doubt I'll get a place there though so I'm really hoping I get accepted to Northumbria. I already live in Newcastle so I'd save a lot of money.
Yeah definitely I think we all got a chance to say quite a bit, I'm glad there was just a small group of us :smile: Northumbria will be my first choice too, I already live near but I would really want to move out! You'll have to let me know when you hear back, I still need to send off my reference :frown:
Would you be starting in March?
Has anyone got an interview at:
Edge Hill - 19th January or
Liverpool John Moores - 25th January
Not heard from other three unis yet so hoping they arent too long!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah definitely I think we all got a chance to say quite a bit, I'm glad there was just a small group of us :smile: Northumbria will be my first choice too, I already live near but I would really want to move out! You'll have to let me know when you hear back, I still need to send off my reference :frown:
Would you be starting in March?

I emailed them to ask if they received my reference and they said they have and they've passed it to the nursing panel to look at. So more waiting now I assume. I have just been offered an interview at Teeside today but that's not until 21st January. If I get an offer from Northumbria before that date i'll just withdraw from it. If I get a place at Northumbria I'll be starting on 9th September.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending