The Student Room Group

Failing first term of uni?

My deadline is approaching and I'm really worried that my work isn't up to standard. I've missed a few seminars due to illness and it's really left me behind.

If I don't pass this first term, could I be kicked out of uni? Or can I make up for this term with the next two terms work to boost my grades?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Sarah190
My deadline is approaching and I'm really worried that my work isn't up to standard. I've missed a few seminars due to illness and it's really left me behind.

If I don't pass this first term, could I be kicked out of uni? Or can I make up for this term with the next two terms work to boost my grades?

Thanks!

What degree are you working towards?

Typically, you can't be kicked out for failing your first term - I'm not exactly sure how missing this deadline would result in that, mind you, because surely you take more than one module. In a lot of cases, so long that you pass (40%), first year means nothing.

You should've been told all of this at the beginning of the year.
Reply 2
Original post by Dippy Dip
What degree are you working towards?

Typically, you can't be kicked out for failing your first term - I'm not exactly sure how missing this deadline would result in that, mind you, because surely you take more than one module. In a lot of cases, so long that you pass (40%), first year means nothing.

You should've been told all of this at the beginning of the year.

I'm not going to miss the deadline, I just don't think my work is up to it's usual standard, we were told if we fail any of the pieces of work we will have to do them again, I'm just worried if I fail all of the pieces, I will be kicked out?
Reply 3
Original post by Sarah190
I'm not going to miss the deadline, I just don't think my work is up to it's usual standard, we were told if we fail any of the pieces of work we will have to do them again, I'm just worried if I fail all of the pieces, I will be kicked out?

I asked you one question and you didn't answer it.
Reply 4
Original post by Dippy Dip
I asked you one question and you didn't answer it.

:biggrin:
Reply 5
I doubt you'll fail them all.
You could get your GP to write you a not explaining your illness. Your tutor would take it into account when marking your work.
Transitioning to Uni is hard because no-one notices if your ill or missing classes, you've got to say that you ill/worried/struggling etc. which is not always easy.

I would suggest you ask to have a meeting with your personal tutor and/or the module leaders of the modules you are worrying about.

If it helps to relieve stress, 40% is a pass, but better to seek support now rather than when its too late

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending