The Student Room Group

Student finance

In 2020 I started a undergraduate course with foundation year I completed successfully the foundation year , and next year I switched to another university for another course for a law course.I tried so hard but due to personal circumstances I failed and from the 6 modules I passed only one. now for the academic year 2023/2024 I started another undergraduate degree , but the student finance told me that I have to pay back the overpayment , and i would like to ask whats next for me? do i have the right to continue to ask for student finance or i have to pay straight away the overpayment first ? is it possible to set up a payment plan with them (Because obviously I don't have all that amount to pay it directly.) and apply for another degree in the future ? Any advice and answers are helpful because I'm getting stressed because of this development. Thank you
Original post by jimmy448
In 2020 I started a undergraduate course with foundation year I completed successfully the foundation year , and next year I switched to another university for another course for a law course.I tried so hard but due to personal circumstances I failed and from the 6 modules I passed only one. now for the academic year 2023/2024 I started another undergraduate degree , but the student finance told me that I have to pay back the overpayment , and i would like to ask whats next for me? do i have the right to continue to ask for student finance or i have to pay straight away the overpayment first ? is it possible to set up a payment plan with them (Because obviously I don't have all that amount to pay it directly.) and apply for another degree in the future ? Any advice and answers are helpful because I'm getting stressed because of this development. Thank you

Maintenance loans are calculated to cover you for the term and the holidays. If you formally withdrew part way through a term, then you need to repay the maintenance loan for the weeks that you didn't attend. Student finance can arrange a repayment plan if you are struggling financially, and it doesn't prevent you applying for funding for a new course.

In terms of funding a new course, the calculation is:

Length of new course (years) + 1 (gift year) - years of previous study

For example, for a new 3-year course: 3 +1 - 2 = 2 years would be fully funded.

There are some exception courses where previous study is disregarded, such as healthcare courses.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
Maintenance loans are calculated to cover you for the term and the holidays. If you formally withdrew part way through a term, then you need to repay the maintenance loan for the weeks that you didn't attend. Student finance can arrange a repayment plan if you are struggling financially, and it doesn't prevent you applying for funding for a new course.

In terms of funding a new course, the calculation is:

Length of new course (years) + 1 (gift year) - years of previous study

For example, for a new 3-year course: 3 +1 - 2 = 2 years would be fully funded.

There are some exception courses where previous study is disregarded, such as healthcare courses.
Thank you very much for your reply , I really appreciate.
From the above I conclude ( Correct me if I am wrong) that I still have 2 years left for full funding If I arrange a repayment plan .
I would like to ask the following. If I apply for a new three year undergraduate the student finance now will only be willing to finance me for 2 years. Is there any possibility to give me at least for the first year the maintenance?

NOTE

"If you formally withdrew part way through a term, then you need to repay the maintenance loan for the weeks that you didn't attend. Student finance can arrange a repayment plan if you are struggling financially, and it doesn't prevent you applying for funding for a new course"

I did not withdraw from university I attended the whole program, I just didn't Succeed.

Thanks.
Original post by jimmy448

I did not withdraw from university I attended the whole program, I just didn't Succeed.

Thanks.

So you have four years of previous study - foundation year plus a three-year undergraduate degree? If so, my calculation above is incorrect. Also, I don't understand why you have a maintenance loan overpayment if you didn't withdraw or the uni didn't withdraw you from your course.

It would be best if you posted in the Ask SFE forum where an official SFE rep will answer your questions. Be clear about how many years of previous study you have and what degree course you want to apply for.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
So you have four years of previous study - foundation year plus a three-year undergraduate degree? If so, my calculation above is incorrect. Also, I don't understand why you have a maintenance loan overpayment if you didn't withdraw or the uni didn't withdraw you from your course.

It would be best if you posted in the Ask SFE forum where an official SFE rep will answer your questions. Be clear about how many years of previous study you have and what degree course you want to apply for.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910
Two full years of study i have used. I started and I completed successfully only the foundation year in a university, and after I switched to another university for a law degree which I failed the first year , as a result the university asked me to withdraw .Now I started again another degree in another university ( for a bussines and law course ) I applied but the student finance asked me to pay back the overpayment for the failed year.And my questions are 1) if i can apply again for student finance once i set up a payment plan with the student finance? 2) if yes how many more years i still entitled to? If ( 1+3-2=2) that means that i still entitled 2 full funding years , then in that case if i apply for an undergraduate 3 years degree the student finance obviously will be willing to finance me only for two years , is there any possibility for me to receive at least the maintenance for the year that student finance will not cover my tution fees.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending