The Student Room Group

What is considered a useless degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieSmall
Transferable skills, if they don't use absolutely anything from their time at university (not necessarily course knowledge) then yes it is useless.

At long last the government is tackling the myth of transferable skills.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11221081/Nicky-Morgan-pupils-held-back-by-overemphasis-on-arts.html

What are frequently transferable are the opportunities and privileges of well-connected parents.

An awful lot of people without those are being sold a pup about the prospects resulting from traditional arts degrees at decent universities.
Original post by nulli tertius
At long last the government is tackling the myth of transferable skills.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11221081/Nicky-Morgan-pupils-held-back-by-overemphasis-on-arts.html

What are frequently transferable are the opportunities and privileges of well-connected parents.

An awful lot of people without those are being sold a pup about the prospects resulting from traditional arts degrees at decent universities.

The problem is that this -

Addressing the campaign launch in central London, Mrs Morgan said that just a decade ago, pupils were being told to take the maths and sciences only if they wanted a specific skilled career such as a doctor, pharmacist or engineer.

was/is entirely correct advice. A general science degree does not improve employability more than an arts/humanities degree. The profession for which it trains - academic science - has few available positions, that pay about as well as retail, and generally take the form of 2-3 year internships at least into one's mid 30s.

The real conclusion to draw from this is that 'broadening access' was a mistake because university educations, with a handful of known and unscaleable exceptions, aren't actually very useful to employers.

The whole thing was cargo cult policy making based on a crude correlation between career success and higher education at a time when the only people who had university degrees were the most connected (and, I would argue more importantly, intelligent) in society.
Reply 642
Original post by jambojim97
Holy PHUCK this is the most bitchy TSR thread I've EVER seen...

Think we've got a David Beckham studies student here.
Original post by ftr

What university . . . ?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Observatory

was/is entirely correct advice. A general science degree does not improve employability more than an arts/humanities degree. The profession for which it trains - academic science - has few available positions, that pay about as well as retail, and generally take the form of 2-3 year internships at least into one's mid 30s.

The real conclusion to draw from this is that 'broadening access' was a mistake because university educations, with a handful of known and unscaleable exceptions, aren't actually very useful to employers.

The whole thing was cargo cult policy making based on a crude correlation between career success and higher education at a time when the only people who had university degrees were the most connected (and, I would argue more importantly, intelligent) in society.

I don't think this analysis is right because I think there has been a change in the economy. I think there has been a significant decline in the number of jobs for which 16-18 year olds have the skills. That is an historic trend. We don't have 5 year old bird scarers on farms. The 8 year old climbing boy has gone from the chimney sweeping industry. Deliveries are no longer undertaken by the 14 year old shop boy on a bike and every skilled worker no longer has a 17 year "mate" in tow.

Many full time jobs in the economy are really only suited to people who have acquired skills that are only gained by the early 20s.

Therefore a lot of people do need "parking" until they reach that age. However in the competition for those careers amongst graduates, arts graduates are then significantly off the pace in getting those positions. At that point some intending arts student comes forward and that he knows 10 upper middle class private school educated classicists who have landed plumb jobs.

However the statistics tell a different story. When you look at the employability of Leeds Beckett's business studies course

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10003861FT-BUSST/ReturnTo/Search

something that most folk on TSR wouldn't get out of bed for

and

classical civilisation at Leeds

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007795FT-8G42/ReturnTo/Search

the Leeds Beckett degree more than holds its own even without controlling for social position of the Leeds students.

The same is true for those with biomedical sciences at Leeds Beckett

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10003861FT-BIOR3/ReturnTo/Search

Employers used to take graduates with generic arts degrees because that was all that was on offer from the universities. What has now changed is that those arts graduates don't beat the science and business graduates of third tier universities in real employment competitions.

The much vaunted arts transferable skills simply do not match up against the ability to read a balance sheet or a spreadsheet.
A degree that the education could be studied college level is pretty useless and should be demoted to college level related qualification. Stuff like ART/Performing ARTS, Child Care, Graphic Design (Certain Areas in it), Sports, Media, Business (To some extent) and ICT/IT (To some certain extent).

These all could be studied at college so I don't count them as a top degree but such words like useless is pretty harsh.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't think this analysis is right because I think there has been a change in the economy. I think there has been a significant decline in the number of jobs for which 16-18 year olds have the skills. That is an historic trend. We don't have 5 year old bird scarers on farms. The 8 year old climbing boy has gone from the chimney sweeping industry. Deliveries are no longer undertaken by the 14 year old shop boy on a bike and every skilled worker no longer has a 17 year "mate" in tow.

Many full time jobs in the economy are really only suited to people who have acquired skills that are only gained by the early 20s.

Therefore a lot of people do need "parking" until they reach that age. However in the competition for those careers amongst graduates, arts graduates are then significantly off the pace in getting those positions. At that point some intending arts student comes forward and that he knows 10 upper middle class private school educated classicists who have landed plumb jobs.

However the statistics tell a different story. When you look at the employability of Leeds Beckett's business studies course

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10003861FT-BUSST/ReturnTo/Search

something that most folk on TSR wouldn't get out of bed for

and

classical civilisation at Leeds

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007795FT-8G42/ReturnTo/Search

the Leeds Beckett degree more than holds its own even without controlling for social position of the Leeds students.

The same is true for those with biomedical sciences at Leeds Beckett

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10003861FT-BIOR3/ReturnTo/Search

Employers used to take graduates with generic arts degrees because that was all that was on offer from the universities. What has now changed is that those arts graduates don't beat the science and business graduates of third tier universities in real employment competitions.

The much vaunted arts transferable skills simply do not match up against the ability to read a balance sheet or a spreadsheet.

Yet when we compare the most meaningful statistic, earnings at the longest time from completion of the degree (3.x years), we see the following:

Classics (Leeds) - £25k (£20-30k)
Business (Leeds Beckett) - £23k (£19-28k)
Biomed (Leeds Beckett) - £21k (£17-24k)

I suggest that in the long run the earnings average is predicted almost entirely by initial student aptitude. The business course does better at first, probably because of better and more financially motivated students, but the advantage disappears almost immediately. At least business is somewhat vocational, though, even if not a license raj like law and medicine. The general science degree does terribly, no better than the Leeds Beckett English and History degree at the same time.

I think if the government stopped subsidised education entirely we probably would see 14 year olds at the lower end of the aptitude distribution working as tradesmens' mates. I'm not sure that's a bad thing. At 21 they would be skilled and experienced tradesmen with a combined income large enough for a deposit on a house, rather than debtors with no marketable experience.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yet when we compare the most meaningful statistic, earnings at the longest time from completion of the degree (3.x years), we see the following:

Classics (Leeds) - £25k (£20-30k)
Business (Leeds Beckett) - £23k (£19-28k)
Biomed (Leeds Beckett) - £21k (£17-24k)

I suggest that in the long run the earnings average is predicted almost entirely by initial student aptitude. The business course does better at first, probably because of better and more financially motivated students, but the advantage disappears almost immediately. At least business is somewhat vocational, though, even if not a license raj like law and medicine. The general science degree does terribly, no better than the Leeds Beckett English and History degree at the same time.

I think if the government stopped subsidised education entirely we probably would see 14 year olds at the lower end of the aptitude distribution working as tradesmens' mates. I'm not sure that's a bad thing. At 21 they would be skilled and experienced tradesmen with a combined income large enough for a deposit on a house, rather than debtors with no marketable experience.

Turning back the clock on education funding wouldn't automatically turn back the clock on house price inflation and immigration.

Tbh you probably don't want to hire guys too far below the median to fix your car or rewire your house, there'll likely be more minimum wage work wiping old peoples bottoms but the repetitive production line jobs have gone - there isn't going to be enough work for everyone and you can't buy a house on a double minimum wage income.
Reply 648
And what exactly do you study?
It's not the degree, it's the commitment to something for 3/4 years, and the skills you gain from doing a degree. So please stop being a snob.
Original post by Joinedup
Turning back the clock on education funding wouldn't automatically turn back the clock on house price inflation and immigration.

Tbh you probably don't want to hire guys too far below the median to fix your car or rewire your house, there'll likely be more minimum wage work wiping old peoples bottoms but the repetitive production line jobs have gone - there isn't going to be enough work for everyone and you can't buy a house on a double minimum wage income.

The cost of a degree with foregone income is comparable to the cost of a house. If people can buy degrees they can buy houses.

I do not see what the skills argument has to do with it since I think the evidence is that most degrees do not enable people to do more skilled jobs than otherwise. If anything degrees probably mis-train people away from semi-skilled trades like electrician or locksmith towards pseudo-skilled non-trades like biomedical sciences.

I am not disputing that houses are expensive or that some people will have to work bad jobs; I am disputing that higher education addresses any of these problems effectively.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yet when we compare the most meaningful statistic,

I am afraid it isn't the most meaningful statistic.

The earnings at the 40 month point are the national average salaries for these subjects not the salaries at Leeds and Leeds Beckett respectively. The figures for classics are distorted by the high proportion nationally of classics grads who attended Oxbridge. If you look at an arts subject with a much more typical distribution between different qualities of university such as English, http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007795FT-Q306/ReturnTo/Search the national average at the 40 month point lies between business studies and biomedical sciences. You ave referred to English and history which does somewhat worse than straight English nationally.

What the Minister is really saying, albeit without releasing data to back up the assertions is:

"Ignoring outliers, a science graduate of similar intelligence and social position will earn more in the long term then an arts graduate of similar intelligence and background"

What TSR does (but with the advent of the X-Factor generation this has become ubiquitous) is not ignore the outliers but treat the outliers as representative.

What universities do is is advertise the availability of opportunity rather than the chances of achieving that outcome. They advertise that 80% of jobs are open to graduates of any discipline without disclosing how many of those jobs are in practice restricted to a much narrower group of graduates defined either by university attended or subject. In the case of most investments a sales pitch based on theoretical rather than actual likely out-turn would see the seller up before the Advertising Standards Authority. Not so education providers.

I think the penny is starting to drop for a generation of middle class parents in their 50s-60s who are seeing that their children have not become and are not becoming truly financially independent. Many of those children have nice, interesting but poorly paying jobs incapable of ever supporting the lifestyle inherited from their parents who did well in the rush to Britain becoming a middle class society in the 1970s and 1980s. A degree, in most cases, no longer buys access to a protected space where a privileged few can command rewards unrelated to their economic value. Rather degrees now buy access to the economic mainstream in which the holders of arts degrees have little to sell.
I am afraid it isn't the most meaningful statistic.

The earnings at the 40 month point are the national average salaries for these subjects not the salaries at Leeds and Leeds Beckett respectively.

Granted; that'll teach me to read statistics just before bed.

The figures for classics are distorted by the high proportion nationally of classics grads who attended Oxbridge.

Ah, hang on, why would that distort the figures? Because Oxbridge students have unusually high initial aptitude - ? If the return on education is due to the productive value of knowledge accrued and Classics is useless knowledge one would expect no Oxbridge premium.

You ave referred to English and history which does somewhat worse than straight English nationally.

Intending not to distort the figures, just considering that as the closest to Classics.

What the Minister is really saying, albeit without releasing data to back up the assertions is:

I am not sure if you are implying that because a minister has asserted something, such data more than likely exists and supports that assertion. If so I do not agree.

---

So considering the course-specific data, the high IQ classicists still outperform the low IQ scientists. The low IQ scientists barely do better than the low IQ humanities students (£15k vs £14k, which I'd suggest indicates that most of these students in both are simply not getting graduate jobs).

I would like to see the 4 year course-specific data; no doubt it exists albeit possibly with small sample sizes.

A degree, in most cases, no longer buys access to a protected space where a privileged few can command rewards unrelated to their economic value.

I don't think that was ever true. I think IQ still holds a value premium pretty much everywhere outside of academia (ironically) and that it is closely related to productivity. Degrees have simply ceased to be markers for high IQ.
Original post by ftr

A Level student with a firmed choice for Politics at Sheffield. Hardly an engineer, yet hardly David Beckham.
Original post by The Owl of Minerva
A university education that is unable to teach you to be a thinking individual and a citizen in the truest sense of the word is a waste of 3/4 years. But that may often depend upon the effort one makes for his/her own intellectual development (reading and thinking independently) as opposed to one's degree choice.

I agree, I feel that the way things are going now is quite depressing to be honest.

I feel that people recommend others to study STEM subjects more for "career prospects" rather than for interest.
It's almost as if people and individuals are commodified, unless they study engineering or science, they're "useless" economically, and so they are "worthless" and a drain to the taxpayer?:s-smilie:

I absolutely hate this mentality, I used to have it myself too.
I studied maths and science subjects at A level, not because Iwas genuinely interested in them, but because I gave into my fear of securing "job prospects" for the future.
I ended up messing my A levels so badly, even after retaking a year.
And i almost decided to study engineering, which luckily, I avoided doing by taking a gap year.

Now I'm looking to do a psychology or neuroscience degree, because it's they are the only subjects I am genuinely interested int, rather than pretend to be interested in, like a lot of other students do.

Even if I managed to get into an engineering with foundation year for example. Now I know that I would exactly repeat the same things that happened to me at A level, and I would end up dropping out or getting a 2.2. Which would just make me so demoralised.

Even if I did make it through an engineering degree with a 2.1. I would then have to work in engineering, which would just further trap me in a career I would loathe, even if I make good money, or if I can find employment at a drop of a hat.

And then when I find myself hating my engineering job after graduating, then I would be at "square one", and then I would need to find something I am genuinely interested all over again.

I find it very sad, that people, like me, are being pressured and pushed by either their parents or society into studying things which people preach to them as being "for their own good". Even if these things would totally not suit them and even be dangerous to do out of "blindness".

At the end of the day, it's up to the person and how much they are willing to sacrifice out of their life to put up with the stress of "demanding careers". I know that I had enough from my experiences at A level, and I would have no one else to blame but myself if I repeat it again.

I hate how everything is revolved around the economy, job prospects, "prestige and respectability" and overall snobbishness when it comes to studying at university. Maybe it's just TSR though, I'm not sure.

I kind of agree.

I came from the Netherlands where most teens don't go to university, but study vocationally, with a sort of internship at a company.

The only people that go university, are the ones that really want to and need to, and who have kind of proven it by studying at a very rigorous level at high school. It's unequal, and it's not nice that it's harder to go to university in the Netherlands. But at least the job market there is not as over saturated with graduates than in the UK.

Over here in the UK it's insane imo, university is turned into a mainly profit making business, where they convince as many students to study at university, even if it doesn't really suit them.

Now that I'm in the UK, I feel "pressured" to go into university, because otherwise I would compete in a very competitive job market without a degree?

Unless I do apprenticeships or the like, but I am simply not interested in them? I don't want to be chained to one company or one apprenticeship.

If I'm honest, I feel like the UK needs to stop this absurd focus on funneling most of it's students into going to university. It would be much better if there was a "middle ground" where people could study at a lower level, but still be able to get a job at the same time.

I know apprenticeships do this, but I feel that they're unreliable and restricting.

Overall, even though I'm a migrant myself (not really my own choice, my parents did this). I feel that the UK is too overcrowded, and this makes sense economically, because it drives down wages and increases desperation. But it's the people that end up paying the price for this, migrants or not.
Harry Potter studies
Original post by nsolma1
I agree, I feel that the way things are going now is quite depressing to be honest.

I feel that people recommend others to study STEM subjects more for "career prospects" rather than for interest.
It's almost as if people and individuals are commodified, unless they study engineering or science, they're "useless" economically, and so they are "worthless" and a drain to the taxpayer?:s-smilie:

I absolutely hate this mentality, I used to have it myself too.
I studied maths and science subjects at A level, not because Iwas genuinely interested in them, but because I gave into my fear of securing "job prospects" for the future.
I ended up messing my A levels so badly, even after retaking a year.
And i almost decided to study engineering, which luckily, I avoided doing by taking a gap year.

Now I'm looking to do a psychology or neuroscience degree, because it's they are the only subjects I am genuinely interested int, rather than pretend to be interested in, like a lot of other students do.

Even if I managed to get into an engineering with foundation year for example. Now I know that I would exactly repeat the same things that happened to me at A level, and I would end up dropping out or getting a 2.2. Which would just make me so demoralised.

Even if I did make it through an engineering degree with a 2.1. I would then have to work in engineering, which would just further trap me in a career I would loathe, even if I make good money, or if I can find employment at a drop of a hat.

And then when I find myself hating my engineering job after graduating, then I would be at "square one", and then I would need to find something I am genuinely interested all over again.

I find it very sad, that people, like me, are being pressured and pushed by either their parents or society into studying things which people preach to them as being "for their own good". Even if these things would totally not suit them and even be dangerous to do out of "blindness".

At the end of the day, it's up to the person and how much they are willing to sacrifice out of their life to put up with the stress of "demanding careers". I know that I had enough from my experiences at A level, and I would have no one else to blame but myself if I repeat it again.

I hate how everything is revolved around the economy, job prospects, "prestige and respectability" and overall snobbishness when it comes to studying at university. Maybe it's just TSR though, I'm not sure.

If I approached the government and said i wanted a very large low interest unsecured loan with easy payment terms for a yacht or a round the world luxury cruise or a jacuzzi, the government would tell me to take a running jump even though I would benefit from any of them.

I have "bought" degrees with my own money. I have undertaken economically useless studies at my own expense.

If you are studying at the taxpayer's expense, then the taxpayer in the form of the economy has to have a pay back. You can argue whether there is sufficient payback to the taxpayer from the number of students, but you cannot really ask the taxpayer to fund higher education for any other reason than a perceived economic benefit.
A degree in the Beatles.. I mean come on
History is an amazing subject. You need to have a brain to do it just like science. I am at A-level taking History and funnily enough I am also taking Chemistry :smile: I don't know where I stand in this Humanities vs Science war!
If I approached the government and said i wanted a very large low interest unsecured loan with easy payment terms for a yacht or a round the world luxury cruise or a jacuzzi, the government would tell me to take a running jump even though I would benefit from any of them.

I have "bought" degrees with my own money. I have undertaken economically useless studies at my own expense.

If you are studying at the taxpayer's expense, then the taxpayer in the form of the economy has to have a pay back. You can argue whether there is sufficient payback to the taxpayer from the number of students, but you cannot really ask the taxpayer to fund higher education for any other reason than a perceived economic benefit.

Well now you're arguing about the politics and economics of it really.

Is it really my fault that access to university has been increased to around 50%?
And now that the job market is flooded with graduates competing for each other, this puts pressure on me to also take a degree to compete with other's in the job market.

Of course you could tell me to do an apprenticeship or a school leaver job, but what if I'm not interested in those at the moment? I don't want to restrict myself to an apprenticeship/school leaver job, because I know that it's in the company's interest to keep me working there as long as possible.

You could argue that it's more "useful" to the economy if I studied engineering and got a job, but what about me as an individual? Like I said, now I know I would hate engineering after I took my gap year. So it's not in my best interest to study it, as I could probably fail and drop out

So now I am left with studying something I am genuinely interested in and then make the best out of it when I graduate really. I can't do medicine, I want to leave accounting for after I graduate, law is far too competitive etc. So what else can I do?

I personally think that this 50% target was not introduced for society's "benefit" but more for the greedy universities who have turned into huge profit making businesses, rather than institutions for the public good. Not only that but I think that overall the corporation's interest from an economy flooded with graduates desperately competing for each other for any type of job.

I'm personally for no tuition fee's in the first place. I think education should be free, but not for too many people, but for the ones going to university who have the academics and a real interest in studying their subjects. That I think should be proven through work experience or something, but maybe that would be hard to get anyway.

Or we should cap the number of people going to university, I don't know, anything to reduce the number of people should be okay. But this is useless if apprenticeships are not developed at the same time. Not only that but immigration also further adds to the competition.

So I think immigration should be reduced, then reduce the number of people going university and the substitute the gap left with increased emphasis on apprenticeships. I think education should be based on apprenticeships/work experience first, and then academics studies later, for the ones who want to take it further.

But the way it's going now, I think the vast majority of graduates don't manage to pay back their student loan and have that debt hanging for 30 years. And this debt is probably sold off by the banks or something to make their own greedy profits, I don't know maybe I'm wrong. But this is my gut feeling about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending