The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
So as many have received an offer from Zenith, can I assume that because I have not heard from them, I have been rejected by silence?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SIE2013
I literally do not think any rejections for No 5 have been sent out, however they said all interviews will be sent out today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They said everyone would hear today. I'm surprised they've not sent rejections. Last year my friend got her invite in the morning and I got my rejection in the afternoon.
I guess there's always tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 982
Original post by GreenMatt
Actually - 1 COR Brighton appears to only do one round of interviews. Can anyone confirm this? First chambers I've experienced who don't do a first round and then a final round....

Well done on your interview.

Has anyone got back to you regarding whether there is only one round? Does anyone know roughly how many people they invite? Also, does anyone know what to expect from an interview at 1COR Brighton?

Any help much appreciated. Thanks : )
I know nothing! It does seem to say on their website that there is only one round of interviews though....

Matt
Reply 984
Original post by Kessler`
Bad advice from Konran. It's important that you have an idea of potential arguments and answers. Between interviews, when I was travelling by train etc, I would have a notebook and would rehearse in my mind answers to potential IV questions. You can easily guess the sort of topics: trial by jury, Legal Aid, HCA's/QASA, area of law reform. I would jot down, in list form, the points I would make. Then I would reverse whatever stance I had taken and jot down the answers to that as well. Always prepare to do that - it invariably happens that you will be asked to argue the reverse of an argument.

Kessler, did you actually bring notes into interviews?
Reply 985
Original post by willhewonthe
Has anyone heard anything about the Doughty St Media / PI pupillages for Sept 2013?

Still waiting as well.
Reply 986
Original post by SIE2013
Oh really? I thought there was a few ethical problems from what I've been told in the past. Thanks however :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

"I can confirm that there not be a legal problem for the first round interviews just an informal chat with general legal questions but no need to prepare anything"

So it doesn't preclude an ethics question or current affairs but suggests we won't be given a legal problem and have 15 minutes to prepare it and then discuss. Hope that helps!
Original post by Satis
Kessler, did you actually bring notes into interviews?

Not usually. That's why I wrote them down beforehand, to try and drum the salient points into my head.

However, some interviews would give you some prep time. If that was the case, I would jot down some brief bullet points and use them in interview. It's not too dissimilar to the way I use my bluebook now. I have my case info/theory, some important features or info that I've got from the client and about 4/5 bullet points around which my submissions are framed.

I suspect that's what they're trying to see if you can do in interview. These things aren't a memory test and, to be blunt, nobody is testing you on the law. You wouldn't be at an interview if they thought you had no legal knowledge. What they're looking for is an ability to think on your feet, adapt and present arguments and - above all - be persuasive. On that note, despite what many BVC/BPTC studes may think, submissions made calmly and with a smile are a lot more persuasive than submissions made in an overly serious manner with all the imagined pomp of an edwardian celebrity barrister.
Original post by Kessler`
On that note, despite what many BVC/BPTC studes may think, submissions made calmly and with a smile are a lot more persuasive than submissions made in an overly serious manner with all the imagined pomp of an edwardian celebrity barrister.

Surely it would be more entertaining if interviewees all brought their own inflatable cushion?
Original post by nulli tertius
Surely it would be more entertaining if interviewees all brought their own inflatable cushion?

Heh. I think some panels are already struggling to keep a straight face from what I've been hearing!
Reply 990
Dare I ask, has anyone heard from No 5 since yesterday?
Reply 991
Original post by Innerchap

No, I haven't and was wondering the same?

it appears that most of the chambers don't see it as necessary to let us know :frown:

Not a thing. Hopefully something today. Unless anyone is willing to call and say "ooooh I haven't heard anything and its been a while."
BAGSY NOT ME!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 993
Original post by lulu_dudette
Not a thing. Hopefully something today. Unless anyone is willing to call and say "ooooh I haven't heard anything and its been a while."
BAGSY NOT ME!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just emailed. Urgh, I hate doing that, it feels so whiny!
Just emailed. Urgh, I hate doing that, it feels so whiny!

Well done Innerchap. Taking one for the greater good. Did you email Shirley? Hopefully she'll get back to you soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gigit
Nothing from 4SB.

I've had nothing from 5SB either.
Reply 996
Original post by lulu_dudette
Well done Innerchap. Taking one for the greater good. Did you email Shirley? Hopefully she'll get back to you soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, bit of a delay in pulling a response through (damn internet), but she had an out-of-office on. Hope everything is OK, it's a stressful time of year for all concerned as it is.
Reply 997
One Brick Court moved to historic on the Gateway :frown:
Reply 998
Has anyone heard back from 5 essex court post 1st round interview?
Reply 999
Original post by MissTop
Has anyone heard back from 5 essex court post 1st round interview?

No, but there were interviews last night as well (10th). So we probably won't hear until later this week. They said absolute latest next Monday (17th) in the original email. Not looking forward to that email cropping up in my inbox :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending