The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Arachnophobia
What was up with that english paper! Most of those questions made no sense to me! I thought general was tougher than credit (both were incredibly tough anyway) and i didn't know what they asked of me in half of those questions! Is it just me or had the SQA really changed the english paper format, it was so different to the preceeding papers! And what was up with that 'Through, thru' question?!?

I said with the 'through, thru' question that 'thru' represented the illeterate and that 'through' represented the champions/literate.

Oui ou non?

I too found the general paper more difficult than the credit as mentioned by another post. I personally found the credit fairly easy - remember, if "everyone" found the paper difficult then pass marks will be reduced even more than they normally are!
Did you not think this exam was really different from preceeding ones? As in, the question types were really different. And the 'through. thru' question didn't make much sense, i didn't know what they really asked of me.
Reply 22
Arachnophobia
Did you not think this exam was really different from preceeding ones? As in, the question types were really different. And the 'through. thru' question didn't make much sense, i didn't know what they really asked of me.

I didn't think the exam was too different from the former papers but I must admit I didn't really practice for this english exam!

Does my answer above sound right? The "thru, through" answer?
Reply 23
what was the credit passage about this year? I was almost falling asleep last year with that stupid Egypt thing
I thought both Reading papers were fairly easy... for that thru/through thing I wrote something about 'thru' being the modern spelling and 'through' being the traditional and the protesters wanted rid of the traditional...:confused:

What did y'all put for the question about "as though they were crossing a minefield" or something? It was simile!!! Some people put metaphor, but it said "as" so it is a simile!!
Perhaps it was only my friends and I who argued this point.

Nathan, here's a wee overview of the papers.
General: Basically a story of a boy wanting to pass a note to a girl asking her out, and making a big fuss doing so. Then she eats the note. Weird stuff.
Credit: An article from The Scotsman about how spelling bees are really popular in America, and sort of following the contestants.

1st credit question, I kid you not: "What sort of contest are they competing in?"

I'm convinced it must have been a trick question!
Reply 25
no wonder people have lost faith in standard grades :rolleyes:

the answer to the first question in the gaelic credit listening paper is almost always garunteed to be "good morning" or "good afternoon" ....for 2 marks :O
Reply 26
dreamy_girl
I thought both Reading papers were fairly easy... for that thru/through thing I wrote something about 'thru' being the modern spelling and 'through' being the traditional and the protesters wanted rid of the traditional...:confused:

What did y'all put for the question about "as though they were crossing a minefield" or something? It was simile!!! Some people put metaphor, but it said "as" so it is a simile!!
Perhaps it was only my friends and I who argued this point.

Nathan, here's a wee overview of the papers.
General: Basically a story of a boy wanting to pass a note to a girl asking her out, and making a big fuss doing so. Then she eats the note. Weird stuff.
Credit: An article from The Scotsman about how spelling bees are really popular in America, and sort of following the contestants.

1st credit question, I kid you not: "What sort of contest are they competing in?"

I'm convinced it must have been a trick question!

Dreamy Girl, the first question was unbelievable wasn't it? hahah...

Aye the minefield was a similie for sure. I'm not too good in this area but if it uses "like" or "as" I am positive it's a similie.

What did you say to the question which elaborated on the idea of a minefield?
I said that "in choosing letters for spelling the words the contestants were as careful as they would have been choosing their footing while crossing a minefield," or something like that. You?

I know this was general, but what did u put for the why is she called Mrs Moonface? I said cos she had a pale, round face, but so many people went a lot deeper than that so i'm well scared now. Also, at first I thought Mrs. Moonface was actually her real name lol ooops.
Reply 28
dreamy_girl
I said that "in choosing letters for spelling the words the contestants were as careful as they would have been choosing their footing while crossing a minefield," or something like that. You?

I know this was general, but what did u put for the why is she called Mrs Moonface? I said cos she had a pale, round face, but so many people went a lot deeper than that so i'm well scared now. Also, at first I thought Mrs. Moonface was actually her real name lol ooops.

As did I, as did I dreamygirl!

I said she had a large face and possibly that she smiled alot.

I found the general surprisingly hard and at the time the credit was easy - but I thought I was sure-fire to get the 'through, thru' question right but I read it wrong it appears!
ARGH maths tomorrow! I've done plenty of revision, just afraid that i'll forget all my maths in a panic.

Also mad that were having to do exams all day from 10.40 til 16.05!! I'm used to a half day on a Friday! Do we definately have to do the exams in pen? Cos we never do maths in pen at school...
Reply 30
I know not much time for lunch either!

Yeh pretty sure its pen, we started it out using pencil but by the end of the year randomly changed to pens

(your spoiled with half days on fridays:p: )
Reply 31
danielj315
I know not much time for lunch either!

Yeh pretty sure its pen, we started it out using pencil but by the end of the year randomly changed to pens

(your spoiled with half days on fridays:p: )

Yeah you have to use pen. Tomorrow is a daft day for me - I have to go into school at 8:00 due to my geography/dad working at the school and THEN I'm going out later on - meaning I have to remain out.

It'll be a loong day for myself.

PS - Dreamygirl, check your PM's. Just checking if anyone has MSN, any standard graders specifically, [email protected] if you are interested!
Reply 32
dreamy_girl
ARGH maths tomorrow! I've done plenty of revision, just afraid that i'll forget all my maths in a panic.

Also mad that were having to do exams all day from 10.40 til 16.05!! I'm used to a half day on a Friday! Do we definately have to do the exams in pen? Cos we never do maths in pen at school...

use pen for everything but diagrams and graphs :wink:
Ok... Is it true that they don't even mark ur paper if u do it in pencil? :eek: I bet i'll forget! I checked my PMs btw lol.

I've never done a general paper before, what's it like?
Reply 34
Ok... Is it true that they don't even mark ur paper if u do it in pencil? I bet i'll forget! I checked my PMs btw lol.

I *think* that's probably a myth...the whole theory behind the "use a pen" scenario is that people would either lean too hard, or not hard enough on their pencil, thus making the exam script difficult to read, and therefore markers couldn't mark the papers properly....so basically, if you use pencil and it is legible, then you'll be fine :wink:

I've never done a general paper before, what's it like?

general is a write on paper, it covers SOHCAHTOA, basic fractions, shape, number, personal finance, percentages...and i think that's it really

Oh, and you may find the general paper difficult...don't let that freak you out...it could be for 1 of 3 reasons

1. you haven't covered the general work, and therefore won't know what to expect
2. you're looking for a harder solution than is actually required
3. you really don't have a bloody clue :P:
Oooh well it's over now. The general was really easy woooo! I did it in pen (although did very rough work in pencil and rubbed it out :redface:), btu know a few people who didn't...

All was OK except the last question of the credit non-calc. :mad:
Sorry guys, that was dead easy, both credit and general. Both papers, seriously simple! I'm expecting minimum 90%
For the last part of the last question of the non calc, you could either form an inequation to give you your value, or you could use iteration.
dreamy_girl
Oooh well it's over now. The general was really easy woooo! I did it in pen (although did very rough work in pencil and rubbed it out :redface:), btu know a few people who didn't...

All was OK except the last question of the credit non-calc. :mad:

Boo hiss, you're never meant to rub out working!
Reply 39
Arachnophobia
For the last part of the last question of the non calc, you could either form an inequation to give you your value, or you could use iteration.

Iteration is pretty difficult at non-calculator though

Boo hiss, you're never meant to rub out working!

This is true *shakes finger at dreamy_girl*

Latest

Trending

Trending