The Student Room Group

commuting to london (canary wharf)

i have a summer internship in canary wharf. two choices, either commute from Luton everyday or find a house share closer! first choice = free rent at home! but expensive travel ticket every day, dunno how much yet, early getting up. as gotta get taxi or bus to station first, or drive and leave car at station! i suppose im gonna have to work all costs out first.

im sure it must workout cheaper to live at home with no rent or food bill, but im gonna be having LONG days! oh well gotta do what you gotta do!

any tips/advice guys?
if money is your biggest problem, work out exactly how much each option will cost and suggest alternatives. Find which one suits you best :smile:
Reply 2
farnodr
i have a summer internship in canary wharf. two choices, either commute from Luton everyday or find a house share closer! first choice = free rent at home! but expensive travel ticket every day, dunno how much yet, early getting up. as gotta get taxi or bus to station first, or drive and leave car at station! i suppose im gonna have to work all costs out first.

im sure it must workout cheaper to live at home with no rent or food bill, but im gonna be having LONG days! oh well gotta do what you gotta do!

any tips/advice guys?

Every hour of sleep you get will probably be crucial, although it does depend on what division you are in. Taking that into consideration I would say to you find somewhere in London if your budget allows, because it sounds like you will be travelling at least 45 min door to desk each way if you stay at home.
Reply 3
supernova2
if money is your biggest problem, work out exactly how much each option will cost and suggest alternatives. Find which one suits you best :smile:

well im sure i shud have plenty of money as good pay...but also have some nice student overdraft to clear and suppose i dont wanna waste it on expensive renting in london when i can live and eat at home for free!
Reply 4
kb500
Every hour of sleep you get will probably be crucial, although it does depend on what division you are in. Taking that into consideration I would say to you find somewhere in London if your budget allows, because it sounds like you will be travelling at least 45 min door to desk each way if you stay at home.

more like an hour!!! though im in IT risk management, so perhaps not as bad as for traders.
Reply 5
in the short term, moving nearby is expensive - in the long term, the advantages may outweigh the short-term gains.

You get more sleep, you will perform better where performance is important and improve your chances of conversion - if the hours aren't bad, then this is not as important, but you should consider that if you are on the margin, an advantage in performace is critical to your success.
Move into London.
Reply 7
farnodr
i have a summer internship in canary wharf. two choices, either commute from Luton everyday or find a house share closer!

any tips/advice guys?

Hi,

I was in London for a week over Easter and had to commute everyday to Canary Wharf from Euston Station. I'm probably stating the obvious, but for a non London resident i found the tube VERY busy. It took me around 45 mins from Euston to CW. That meant getting up around 6am everyday for a 7.30am start. By the time i left (6pm) and had got back to where i was staying (6.45pm) i was knackered and thats Knackered with a capital k! Living somewhere close, i.e. no more than 30 mins away, is a must in my opinion.

As for finding a house or accomodation to live in, i was looking into renting a student room at one of the London colleges in preparation for an internship. UCL did a weeks accomodation with breakfast included for around £120 and give a some kind of student discount of around 20%. Alternatively, i was going to live with my brother who is now going to UCL in Sep 2006.

Anyway, dont BarCap pay £1000 for accomodation? If you wanted to get a flat, then i've seen them going for around £440 a month although i'm not sure they would take people for odd months.
Reply 8
farnodr
well im sure i shud have plenty of money as good pay...but also have some nice student overdraft to clear and suppose i dont wanna waste it on expensive renting in london when i can live and eat at home for free!

You don't have to rent in the centre of london to have good access to Canary Wharf. You could rent in Lewisham, which is much cheaper, and take the DLR, which is only a few stops away. My friend does this, and door to door it's 25 mins. Stockwell and Kennington are also other areas you could consider which are in easy reach of CW, but rent is probably going to be a little higher than Lewisham because they're closer to town. In any case, either of these areas will be cheaper than central london. Oh yeah, and Stratford's pretty cheap and close to CW.
You could try and get accomodation at a near by uni, I think KCL have a hall close to Canary Wharf (on the other side of the river but I'm assuming its easy to get there by tube). As far as I've heard, from a friend who was looking for summer accomodation aswell, most of the London unis will charge non-members about £20 a night - £140/week. Or you could rent a room, just look on rightmove.co.uk/accomodationforstudents.com.

Would definately agree with the others though, you would do well to move into London if only to save yourself a lot of hassle.
Reply 10
I've just finished a 7 month placement at Deloitte and have been commuting from east suffolk into London every day. Now i know that the hours are very different (longer) in IB, but i was getting up at half 4 and getting home at 10 at night most days and i can tell you that it becomes very exhausting trying to keep that up.

For something as important as an IB internship, i wouldnt recommend that you commute in every day from Luton, its a bit of a trek.

Having said that, living in London always ends up costing more than you would imagine so make sure you budget accordingly.
Reply 11
get somewhere in Tower Hamlets:p:
pogel17

Anyway, dont BarCap pay £1000 for accomodation? If you wanted to get a flat, then i've seen them going for around £440 a month although i'm not sure they would take people for odd months.

Is that a cupboard or per week? Because you won't much in London going at £440 a month which you could really call 'a flat' that is too near CW unless there are countless hidden charges/you live somewhere not easily connected/in what is arguably a "ghetto"... but if it is actually quality, send us a PM :wink:

45 minutes from Euston to Canary Wharf is very long by the way. Takes more like 30 or so... and I do that trip a fair bit from UCL to CW...
Troy :0)
You don't have to rent in the centre of london to have good access to Canary Wharf. You could rent in Lewisham, which is much cheaper, and take the DLR, which is only a few stops away. My friend does this, and door to door it's 25 mins. Stockwell and Kennington are also other areas you could consider which are in easy reach of CW, but rent is probably going to be a little higher than Lewisham because they're closer to town. In any case, either of these areas will be cheaper than central london. Oh yeah, and Stratford's pretty cheap and close to CW.

Lewisham is very far out from the rest of London if you plan to see it. Bit rough around the edges and it'd be tricky to find something to rent for 10 weeks which is the main problem. Same applies in Stockwell, Kennington and Stratford (which post-Olympic decision, isn't all that cheap since any old excuse to ramp up rent will do).

i was getting up at half 4 and getting home at 10 at night most days and i can tell you that it becomes very exhausting trying to keep that up.

For 7 months? You're a legend! :smile: I rate that stamina highly.

I think KCL have a hall close to Canary Wharf (on the other side of the river but I'm assuming its easy to get there by tube).

Yep, there is one right near Waterloo that is a good pick. Might be full by now though... gets snapped up very quick and so isn't very reliable.
Reply 14
Believe me, it becuase a mission over january when it was snowing and the trains are always delayed! - Still, its a means to an ends really!

Latest

Trending

Trending