The Student Room Group

does masters at oxbridge feel like boarding school at all?

At every point in my life I *almost* went to boarding school and didn't.
I realise now how much I want that experience, albeit just one year of it, before I go off and get sucked into that corporate world.

What is student life like at collegiate universities (Oxbridge/Durham) at masters level? What's the same and what's different from undergrad? Are there any courses or colleges where it's closer to that almost snobbish boarding school feel?

I'm not fussed about which postgraduate course to study, which might sound bad but I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy reading about any subject, as long as I qualify for it (my undergrad is in economics and as a hobby I read a lot of philosophy / ancient history / maths / geopolitics).
Reply 1
*on second thought - maybe it's not so much the lifestyle of boarding school itself but the academic seclusion that comes with it that I've wanted? I.e. not being put on an assembly line Canary Wharf bound.
Reply 2
bump^
Original post by olivier_
bump^

Postgrad is less cloistered that undergrad. You are expected to have been a functioning adult for at least 3 years and are treated as such.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
Postgrad is less cloistered that undergrad. You are expected to have been a functioning adult for at least 3 years and are treated as such.

Thank you for the reply - would you be so kind as to expand on what you mean by less cloistered? And which colleges/departments might you have in mind, if you're talking from experience? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending