The Student Room Group

should i go for medicine?

So- at the moment im doing A levels in - Biology, chemistry, and Art

Over the past year i was deliberating doing medicine, i wasn't sure as at the time i wanted more to peruse art and design. I faffed around in my science subjects as i was working harder at my art. but after the summer i decided i wanted to do sciences, towards medicine. So i have applied to biology. I wanted to do biology to possibly do post grad medicine I have 4 offers so far (waiting on Bristol). But although my As grades were not incredible ABBBC (high B's in bio and chem)my teachers are now telling me that i can get A*AA if i keep up my autumn term rate of work (i have been working so much harder this year). Now i want to do medicine straight from college, i know i can deal with the commitment now.

Is it worth dropping my offers in august if i get three A's? and applying again? ( i am prepared to do work experience and ukcat in the summer)or would doing it postgrad be better?
Get some work experience and see for yourself, if you still want to do medicine then take a gap year and apply for 2014 entry, get a job (as a HCA if possible).

Many medicine applicants take gap years and it will put you in a stronger position than most applicants.

Graduate medicine is much more competitive than undergrad so you should try to avoid it at this stage.
Reply 2
Original post by mogg
So- at the moment im doing A levels in - Biology, chemistry, and Art

Over the past year i was deliberating doing medicine, i wasn't sure as at the time i wanted more to peruse art and design. I faffed around in my science subjects as i was working harder at my art. but after the summer i decided i wanted to do sciences, towards medicine. So i have applied to biology. I wanted to do biology to possibly do post grad medicine I have 4 offers so far (waiting on Bristol). But although my As grades were not incredible ABBBC (high B's in bio and chem)my teachers are now telling me that i can get A*AA if i keep up my autumn term rate of work (i have been working so much harder this year). Now i want to do medicine straight from college, i know i can deal with the commitment now.

Is it worth dropping my offers in august if i get three A's? and applying again? ( i am prepared to do work experience and ukcat in the summer)or would doing it postgrad be better?

Do not do a different degree with the intention of applying to grad entry medicine. If you can get three As in your A-levels and arrange some work experience/voluntary work and then apply smart as far as your strengths (UKCAT/not UKCAT etc) are concerned, you should take a gap year and apply to Medicine.
Reply 3
would i be in a stronger position with actual grades instead of predicted grades?
Yes.
Reply 5
Original post by ~*~rAiNbOw~*~
My advice to you would be not to do medicine just because you can. I made that mistake. If you feel you genuinely understand what a career in medicine/ what a medical degree entails and feel like it is something you are 100% sure that you'd like to do then go for it otherwise do something which you are genuinely passionate about.

This is best advice I've read on this forum regarding similar topics, couldn't agree more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending