The Student Room Group

Is it her or her parents?

Hi there.

I've been with my girlfriend officially for a few weeks now. Things have been going really well and our relationship is progressing at a steady pace (we are both quite inexperienced and I am keen not to rush things). The Christmas holidays have come about and as was to be expected I would like to spend some time with her.

Unfortunately work gets in the way of things, so we made a date we could both commit to. Later on, she cancels saying that her parents don't want her going out until the end of her Jan exams :/ So, I have accepted that I won't be able to see her this holiday. However, I have proposed phoning her for a conversation but she finds excuses to keep our conversations over text. She has also said that I should wait until we return to college (the day after her birthday) before giving her her present.

From what she tells me, her parents are very strict and have pursued legal careers. I get the impression that they are very controlling over her life. I've proposed that we have an evening out after our exams to celebrate the end of revision and our belated birthdays which she sounds up for.

This whole situation is really confusing me though, are her parents the issue, or is she trying to brush me off? Please help :frown: (I haven't met her parents yet).
Reply 1
This thread took forever to get approved so, bump!
Reply 2
It sounds like it's mainly just her parents are telling her to concentrate on her studies, I wouldn't take it to heart.
Reply 3
Original post by sarah.102
It sounds like it's mainly just her parents are telling her to concentrate on her studies, I wouldn't take it to heart.

I hope so. Would a few hours one day really kill them though?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I hope so. Would a few hours one day really kill them though?

If I were you I would tell your girlfriend that it's bothering you because after all you are meant to be close and hopefully she will reassure you, but honestly I think her parents just want her to succeed in her exams and don't want her distracted I know one of my friend's mums wouldn't allow her to see her boyfriend because when she came back she wouldn't be in the mood to revise and plus now in the running to the January 13 exam season every moment can be seen to be precious. I hope it's nothing other than that for your sake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending