The Student Room Group

Chalazion removal?!

I'm thinking about having a chalazion removed from my lower right lid; I just wanted to know if the procedure hurts! Specifically, does injecting the local hurt? Please let me know, I'm really nervous! :frown:
Reply 1
Hi, unless you've been consulted already, they usually won't preform the procedure straight away. They usually recommend you apply a warm wet towel to the affected area for a month to see if it can go away first. Regarding the pain I don't suspect their will be much because the sty itself doesn't have a lot of nerve endings. Also the eyelid itself is very thin so the pain will be minimal.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I've been before to look at it, and I've been prescribed antibiotic eye drops :/ I've also been trying the hot compresses. Do chalazia go away on their own? :frown:
Reply 3
No they don't go away on their own. I highly recommend you continue with the hot compresses rigorously before going the surgery route. In any case, you can go on youtube and watch the surgical procedure to see if you could go through with it. I posted it before but I didn't want to needlessly scare you. I hate ptosis surgery a couple of months ago (while awake) and the chalazion surgery looked like a piece of cake to be honest
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Many chalazions will disappear of their own accord. The likelihood increases if you use hot compresses every day. But it's entirely reasonable to get fed up with waiting after say 2-3 months & seek referral from your GP.

Some eye departments direct chalazion referrals straight to a minor operations clinic to speed the process up, so it's possible you might be offered the op at your first visit.

Frankly, the local anaesthetic does sting a bit for about 5-10 seconds. After that it should all be painless.

Op takes about 60 seconds, and the lid will be a bit swollen and bruised for a few days afterwards.

You just have to decide whether the chalazion is bothering you enough to be worth 10 seconds of mild stinging.
Reply 5
Thank you both very much! The chalazion is beginning to have an impact on my vision, so I'm going back to the doctors tomorrow to see what they say. I'm really very good when it comes to things most people shudder at, so I'll Youtube the procedure :smile: thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest