The Student Room Group

UEA or Cardiff

Hey everyone....I am currently stuck between UEA and Cardiff for Pharmacy.

UEA : I loved the university environment and the lecturers seemed really friendly...however, Norwich is a bit cut off from the rest of the UK and I'm not very certain about how good the nightlife is. Also, I really want to go to a big university but UEA has only about 15000 students. Apart from that though, its a campus uni and I quite like their pharmacy department.

Cardiff : I love Cardiff town...soooo many shops. Cardiff nightlife is really good and there are many students there(30,000). The lecturers there were quite friendly but not as friendly as the ones at UEA. My interview went well however, i was not very impressed with the facilities in the pharmacy department....they looked old and outdated.

UEA is rated 1st for pharmacy whilst Cardiff is rated 4th or so. They arent that far apart. I'd like everyones opinion :biggrin:
Thanks Guyzzz
Reply 1
Original post by neldee95

UEA : I loved the university environment and the lecturers seemed really friendly...however, Norwich is a bit cut off from the rest of the UK and I'm not very certain about how good the nightlife is. Also, I really want to go to a big university but UEA has only about 15000 students. Apart from that though, its a campus uni and I quite like their pharmacy department.

Cardiff : I love Cardiff town...soooo many shops. Cardiff nightlife is really good and there are many students there(30,000). The lecturers there were quite friendly but not as friendly as the ones at UEA. My interview went well however, i was not very impressed with the facilities in the pharmacy department....they looked old and outdated.

UEA is rated 1st for pharmacy whilst Cardiff is rated 4th or so. They arent that far apart. I'd like everyones opinion :biggrin:
Thanks Guyzzz

I might be a tad biased but it sounds like UEA is the better option. Not because of reputation but because of the facilities. Norwich isn't really that cut off from the rest of the UK, its less than 2 hours on the train from London and 1 hour from Cambridge & Colchester. It also has lots of shops- all the ones you would expect to find. And the good thing is because its a bit smaller everything is less spread out so you can walk everywhere. Don't let nightlife in Norwich sway your decision, the uni LCR is popular as are Mercy, Tao and Wonderland and there are other clubs as well e.g. Fluke, Essence.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
I might be a tad biased but it sounds like UEA is the better option. Not because of reputation but because of the facilities. Norwich isn't really that cut off from the rest of the UK, its less than 2 hours on the train from London and 1 hour from Cambridge & Colchester. It also has lots of shops- all the ones you would expect to find. And the good thing is because its a bit smaller everything is less spread out so you can walk everywhere. Don't let nightlife in Norwich sway your decision, the uni LCR is popular as are Mercy, Tao and Wonderland and there are other clubs as well e.g. Fluke, Essence.

Thank you for your reply
Reply 3

Thanks Guyzzz

Cant remember if i've already spoken to you on the Pharmacy Applicants forum but I am having the EXACT same dilemma for pretty much the same reasons!!!!

What did you decide in the end?
Reply 4
Original post by Char-
Cant remember if i've already spoken to you on the Pharmacy Applicants forum but I am having the EXACT same dilemma for pretty much the same reasons!!!!

I chose UEA....I like their facilities better + their staff are nicer. You know I had to call Cardiff to get an interview!! I sent my application off and didnt hear anything for 2 months, I finally called them up and then they told me I was in the interview pile so basically, they just hadn't gotten round to calling me....after 2 freaking months. Meanwhile UEA called me for an interview a week after I sent my application off so based on that and the fact that the cardiff pharmacy building is depressing,UEA was my choice :biggrin:
Reply 5
I chose UEA....I like their facilities better + their staff are nicer. You know I had to call Cardiff to get an interview!! I sent my application off and didnt hear anything for 2 months, I finally called them up and then they told me I was in the interview pile so basically, they just hadn't gotten round to calling me....after 2 freaking months. Meanwhile UEA called me for an interview a week after I sent my application off so based on that and the fact that the cardiff pharmacy building is depressing,UEA was my choice :biggrin:

So many people on here are firming UEA.. I may have to join you :P
So excited! Aahhhh
Ha ha ha! New UEA Pharmacy freshers!!

My friends have great plans for you. They're going to adopt you. Don't worry, they're nice, and freshers need to be mothered. I was a runaway orphan myself. Seriously, good choice. :biggrin: It's amazing here.
Reply 7
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Ha ha ha! New UEA Pharmacy freshers!!

My friends have great plans for you. They're going to adopt you. Don't worry, they're nice, and freshers need to be mothered. I was a runaway orphan myself. Seriously, good choice. :biggrin: It's amazing here.

Wow those plans sound very ominous.
Everyone I spoke to seemed lovely although slightly tired seeing as it was your winter ball or something the night before when it was my interview day hahaha.
Original post by Char-
Wow those plans sound very ominous.
Everyone I spoke to seemed lovely although slightly tired seeing as it was your winter ball or something the night before when it was my interview day hahaha.

Not surprised. I can't remember what I did the day after the ball. No, I do. Sat in a dark lecture theatre and attempted to stay awake, unsuccessfully. I didn't even go out because I wasn't 18 yet.
Reply 9
Original post by Char-

I am having the exact same problem too! I have the same offer from both and have already met the conditions in January, so I honestly don't know who to put as my firm. So stuck! :confused:
Reply 10
Original post by sonstaar
I am having the exact same problem too! I have the same offer from both and have already met the conditions in January, so I honestly don't know who to put as my firm. So stuck! :confused:

Awh don't panic, this thread has good reasons for both.
I firmed UEA.
Basically I did really like Cardiff and I probably would of enjoyed going there but went for UEA.
Why? Because on the open days all the students seemed to be a lot more enthusiastic about the course and this was matched by the lecturers.
Which when doing numerous hours of labs and medicial chemistry imma probably need them to be.
& I did want a campus Uni, where I wasn't stuck in the middle of a big City. I'm a country girl and i'd miss being able to wander, even if I can't take my dogs with me.

The good thing with Pharmacy, and Cardiff and UEA is that the standard of teaching is going to be pretty much level, they both have very good feedback and stats, but atmosphere wise even on a snowy day UEA was just that bit better :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Char-
Awh don't panic, this thread has good reasons for both.
I firmed UEA.
Basically I did really like Cardiff and I probably would of enjoyed going there but went for UEA.
Why? Because on the open days all the students seemed to be a lot more enthusiastic about the course and this was matched by the lecturers.
Which when doing numerous hours of labs and medicial chemistry imma probably need them to be.
& I did want a campus Uni, where I wasn't stuck in the middle of a big City. I'm a country girl and i'd miss being able to wander, even if I can't take my dogs with me.

The good thing with Pharmacy, and Cardiff and UEA is that the standard of teaching is going to be pretty much level, they both have very good feedback and stats, but atmosphere wise even on a snowy day UEA was just that bit better :smile:

Thank you so much for your help :smile: I'm a London girl so I don't mind the whole city aspect, I really liked both of the cities and both of the universities. I can really see myself living in both of them. I know this factor seems stupid but being Indian I feel like UEA has a bigger variation in culture compared to Cardiff and there were a lot more international students, also the staff were friendlier, however I liked the Cardiff campus and Pharmacy building more. So hard! I wish we could have seen more of Cardiff on the interview day, I feel like it would have made my decision a lot easier :s-smilie: Haha I was at UEA on a snowy day too! My interview was on the 13th of this month, I might have seen you :smile:
Original post by sonstaar
Thank you so much for your help :smile: I'm a London girl so I don't mind the whole city aspect, I really liked both of the cities and both of the universities. I can really see myself living in both of them. I know this factor seems stupid but being Indian I feel like UEA has a bigger variation in culture compared to Cardiff and there were a lot more international students, also the staff were friendlier, however I liked the Cardiff campus and Pharmacy building more. So hard! I wish we could have seen more of Cardiff on the interview day, I feel like it would have made my decision a lot easier :s-smilie: Haha I was at UEA on a snowy day too! My interview was on the 13th of this month, I might have seen you :smile:

how do the courses compare? and facilities? also consider that uea is a campus university a bus ride from the city (not necessarily a problem)- the majority of accomodation is within 10 minutes of the teaching buildings= roll out of bed into the lecture hall, whilst cardiff is a city university- the teaching buildings are a lot nearer the city centre but some of the accomodation is further away from both the city centre and the teaching buildings.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13

Thanks Guyzzz

Hi

I know you posted this over a year ago now but I'm in the exact same dilemma and I just wondered if you actually went to UEA and if you did do you think you made the right choice.

I would appreciate your opinion so much as I'm leaning more towards UEA pretty for the same reasons you said all the students seemed really friendly and enthusiastic on the open days

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending