The Student Room Group

[OCR] Is C3 Prerequisite to C4?

This year the C4 exam is before the C3 exam, therefore my revision involves a lot more C4 before C3; I've been looking over the Parametric Equations unit and suddenly panicked when I saw trig identities and double angle formulas mentioned.

I'm therefore wondering how much of C3 I should know for the C4 exam? Are there any other areas I need to look at in C3?
Also, is it sufficient just to learn how to derive the double angle formulas from the addition formulas and be done with C3?
Or do I need to revise cot/sec/csc and all the related information in that section to have a good shot at C4?

Ideally I'd like to know it all, but time is fading away quickly here :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Postgate
This year the C4 exam is before the C3 exam, therefore my revision involves a lot more C4 before C3; I've been looking over the Parametric Equations unit and suddenly panicked when I saw trig identities and double angle formulas mentioned.

I'm therefore wondering how much of C3 I should know for the C4 exam? Are there any other areas I need to look at in C3?
Also, is it sufficient just to learn how to derive the double angle formulas from the addition formulas and be done with C3?
Or do I need to revise cot/sec/csc and all the related information in that section to have a good shot at C4?

Ideally I'd like to know it all, but time is fading away quickly here :smile:

I have not yet found the OCR timetable but usually ALL boards have the exams at the same time.

Here are the Edexcel exams. I suggest you check that you have not misread the OCR details.

I have now found the details for OCR and C4 is indeed before C3 and the days are different.
(edited 11 years ago)
Yes, the OCR C4 exam is before the C3 exam, and yes, you need to know C3 back to front for the C4 exam.

C4 takes everything from C3, and also includes the reversal. Remember, you could easily get a tough C4 integration question which involves parts and therefore differentiation of double angles and other stuff. You'll have vectors too, which could involve trig.

basically, you need to know C3 to do C4, although you can miss out the numerical methods bit and some other stuff from C3 as it's not ALL used again

Quick Reply

Latest