The Student Room Group

***Dentistry 2014 Applications***

Hi guys! Who is applying for 2014 entry? How is your preparation going?
Have you sorted your work experience yet?
Introduce yourself in the thread pls:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Prada:)

Hi I'm thinking of applying... Haven't got any work experience as I'm finding it quite difficult to organise!
Reply 2

Hi:smile: Im planning to apply..
I have already done a week of work experience at a dentist and I am going to do a week again in the summer. I am currently phoning up dental labs and orthodontists for more work experience :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by scaharris
Hi I'm thinking of applying... Haven't got any work experience as I'm finding it quite difficult to organise!

Yep it is very difficult. I work as a rep for one of the dental companies and still finding it challenging. Last week one of the practice managers I asked for work experience told me that not many dental practices offer that because of some data protection policy.:s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by sl_lily
Hi:smile: Im planning to apply..
I have already done a week of work experience at a dentist and I am going to do a week again in the summer. I am currently phoning up dental labs and orthodontists for more work experience :smile:

Well done!! Did you do private or NHS? I only have 1 week of ortho organised for April.
Reply 5
Well done!! Did you do private or NHS? I only have 1 week of ortho organised for April.

It was at Bhandal.
The one that I'm going to do during the summer is private. well done on getting at the orthodontist place.. All the orthos rejected me.
Have you thought of which unis you want to apply to?
Reply 6
Original post by sl_lily
It was at Bhandal.
The one that I'm going to do during the summer is private. well done on getting at the orthodontist place.. All the orthos rejected me.
Have you thought of which unis you want to apply to?

Bhandal? Is it corporate? I guess they have a good mixture of private and NHS.
I am thinking about Barts and Kings. How about you?
Hi guys,

I am hoping to get into dentistry as a post-grad student ( to study thr 4 yr accelerated course in kings or St Barts) the only concern I have is the UKCAT test, I hope it goes ok, I haven't really looked into it, but I know a friend who struggled, how about you guys??
Reply 8
Original post by London_girl20
Hi guys,

I am hoping to get into dentistry as a post-grad student ( to study thr 4 yr accelerated course in kings or St Barts) the only concern I have is the UKCAT test, I hope it goes ok, I haven't really looked into it, but I know a friend who struggled, how about you guys??

Barts no longer offer the 4 year course, soon all the other 4 year courses could become 5 year due to EU legislation.
Original post by tsr2013
Barts no longer offer the 4 year course, soon all the other 4 year courses could become 5 year due to EU legislation.

Hey,

I was vaguely aware of this, but even on the university website, it was not confirmed a couple of months ago, oh I am sad to hear that Barts, don't do it anymore, I really want to study in London!!!!
Reply 10
Bhandal? Is it corporate? I guess they have a good mixture of private and NHS.
I am thinking about Barts and Kings. How about you?

I am thinking about Birmingham and Kings's College. :smile:
Reply 11
Hi guys,

Hi,
I am also going to do the UkCat test this summer as well. I just bought UkCat books online and I am going to practice it:smile:
Hey

which books did u get, I got the 600 UKCAT book only, I also heared about ace ukcat website, looks good check it out!!
Reply 13
Hey guys, i am (hopefully), doing AS in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and English Lit. Got work experience at a GP, a dentist, hopefully I can sort out some at an Orthodontist as well.:tongue:
Reply 14
Hi everyone!
I am also going to apply for dentistry! Im currently doing bio, chem, maths and geography. Most probably will drop geography at A2! I have done work exp at two hospitals, one dental practice! I worked as a receptionist in the dental practie for a bit! Volunteered at old age home and have taken part in SNAP! Trying to get work experience at a dental lab and orthodontist. If anyone knows where i could do it in croydon ps let me know!

I am so worried about the UKCAT!!!!!! I have the 600 ukcat bk but it is soo daunting!:frown: Il get to it at some point (hopefully) :wink:
Original post by Rhema_1996
Hi everyone!
I am also going to apply for dentistry! Im currently doing bio, chem, maths and geography. Most probably will drop geography at A2! I have done work exp at two hospitals, one dental practice! I worked as a receptionist in the dental practie for a bit! Volunteered at old age home and have taken part in SNAP! Trying to get work experience at a dental lab and orthodontist. If anyone knows where i could do it in croydon ps let me know!

I am so worried about the UKCAT!!!!!! I have the 600 ukcat bk but it is soo daunting!:frown: Il get to it at some point (hopefully) :wink:

Hey

i am worried about ukcat too, lets worry together !! Lol

I am sure we will be ok, once we practice a lot :0)
Reply 16
Original post by Rhema_1996
Hi everyone!

I think all we need is to practice. I am doing the same AS subjects as you! :smile: But I dont know which subject to drop for A2 Geogrpahy or Maths :/
For the hospital work experience, did you call your local hospital and which department did you do it in? :smile:
Reply 17
I've got http://www.amazon.co.uk/UKCAT-For-Dummies-Chris-Chopdar/dp/1119965845/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358850545&sr=8-2 it is easier to begin with.
Have you guys heard about this preparation course ?http://www.kaptest.co.uk/ukcat/course Do you think it worth the money they ask?
I've got http://www.amazon.co.uk/UKCAT-For-Dummies-Chris-Chopdar/dp/1119965845/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358850545&sr=8-2 it is easier to begin with.
Have you guys heard about this preparation course ?http://www.kaptest.co.uk/ukcat/course Do you think it worth the money they ask?

Hey,
I have heared of kap test, some ppl say its gd, not sure myself,
are you planning to do it??
Reply 19
Hey,
I have heared of kap test, some ppl say its gd, not sure myself,
are you planning to do it??

I haven't decided yet. I am not sure if it is worth it. I head that this website is quite useful for UKCAT http://www.medify.co.uk/ukcat

Quick Reply

Latest