The Student Room Group

PRIVATE SCHOOLS: What's the big deal?

Scroll to see replies

private schools are better than government schools -- not saying that i went to a private school though but a family member did though and the step up in quality and learning environment was just massive.

not that money could ever save government schools, the issue is with government schools is a microcosm of the problems facing society itself -- nihilism, no discipline, anti-intelectualism, hatred of the successful, permissive attitudes to violence and anti-social behaviour, hatred and dismissal of the wisdom of elders, hatred for tradition and heritage.

private schools, although not perfect, retain amore structured and traditional learning environment built around tradition and discipline.
(edited 11 years ago)
Well, in comprehensive state schools, if you're not part of the 'cool' crowd, you pick up symptoms such as depression, low confidence and low self-esteem. They really aren't ideal places for shy introverts - in fact they make people shy introverts. The teachers are too busy and stupid to notice the complexities of emotional bullying - and bullying is something that you can never solve, regardless of the action you take. Some kids are VERY clever at making your life absolute hell.

Private schools on the other hand 'promise' to make your child happy. Despite attending one of the best-reviewed state schools in my county, I still wish I went to a private school instead - not because I'd be academically advantaged, but because it probably would've saved me from years of bullying. My adolescence might've been bearable, and I'd probably be a happier person today.

Having said that, I'm thoroughly against private schools too. I think it's ridiculous to make a profitable enterprise out of education. I'd pay for my children to be educated in a place where they'd be happy, and not have to go through the same trauma and bull**** I went through, but I wouldn't want to give them an unfair advantage in academia. Life's more rewarding when you earn your own privileges...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JamesTheCool
Well, in comprehensive state schools, if you're not part of the 'cool' crowd, you pick up symptoms such as depression, low confidence and low self-esteem. They really aren't ideal places for shy introverts - in fact they make people shy introverts. The teachers are too busy and stupid to notice the complexities of emotional bullying - and bullying is something that you can never solve, regardless of the action you take. Some kids are VERY clever at making your life absolute hell.

Private schools on the other hand 'promise' to make your child happy. Despite attending one of the best-reviewed state schools in my county, I still wish I went to a private school instead - not because I'd be academically advantaged, but because it probably would've saved me from years of bullying. My adolescence might've been bearable, and I'd probably be a happier person today.

Having said that, I'm thoroughly against private schools too. I think it's ridiculous to make a profitable enterprise out of education. I'd pay for my children to be educated in a place where they'd be happy, and not have to go through the same trauma and bull**** I went through, but I wouldn't want to give them an unfair advantage in academia. Life's more rewarding when you earn your own privileges...

Just to say, they already have "unfair" advantages the moment they're born. They live in a first world country with brilliant free healthcare, garaunteed education and a welfare safety net, and with you as a parent they (assumedly, judging most of this on this post and your ownership of a tsr account) live above the poverty line in a stable home environment with a safe, quiet place to study and supportive parents that recognise the value of education and will help them with their goals. You've given them a huge advantage with this, moreso than the majority of children worldwide.

Also, private schools aren't immune from bullies. It's rarer to find children from the average bullying background (it often stems from major home life problems) but when there is bullying, it can normally only be stopped (which they tend to do brilliantly in,my experience) if the child admits there is a problem. As i'm sure you'll know, bullied children are often reluctant to confide in others about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sheldor
Just to say, they already have "unfair" advantages the moment they're born. They live in a first world country with brilliant free healthcare, garaunteed education and a welfare safety net, and with you as a parent they (assumedly, judging most of this on this post and your ownership of a tsr account) live above the poverty line in a stable home environment with a safe, quiet place to study and supportive parents that recognise the value of education and will help them with their goals. You've given them a huge advantage with this, moreso than the majority of children worldwide.

Also, private schools aren't immune from bullies. It's rarer to find children from the average bullying background (it often stems from major home life problems) but when there is bullying, it can normally only be stopped (which they tend to do brilliantly in,my experience) if the child admits there is a problem. As i'm sure you'll know, bullied children are often reluctant to confide in others about it.

Actually I'm a 20 year old non-parent student at a Russel Group university, who is in favour of left-wing politics, and likes to slag off highly privileged people - not all, just the ones who act like complete pompous cun'ts. Whenever I say 'I would send my children to blah blah blah', I'm speaking hypothetically. And fyi tsr is more of a student thing, hence why it's called 'The Student Room'...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JamesTheCool
Actually I'm a 20 year old non-parent student at a Russel Group university, who is in favour of left-wing politics, and likes to slag off highly privileged people - not all, just the ones who act like complete pompous cun'ts. Whenever I say 'I would send my children to blah blah blah', I'm speaking hypothetically. And fyi tsr is more of a student thing, hence why it's called 'The Student Room'...

I know you were speaking hypothetically. So was I. My point still stands, your potential children (just assume I put potential/ly infront of everything from here on if it helps) have an advantage over most children by being born in this country with an educated parent who values education.(That was the basic gist of my post.) The inference from you being on tsr was that you value education. What did you think it was?:confused:

Also, I don't get your point about slagging off privileged people in terms of relevance. I don't really slag off anyone, but if you have too, why focus on annoying wealthy people? What is the difference between annoying people of all classes that means you only dislike rich ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Children at private schools undoubtedly get a lot more help when it comes to exams. It appears to me that children at state schools don't get "pushed" as much by their teachers; you're only going to succeed in state school education if you either enjoy your subject or are prepared to put in a lot of work for the grades that you want. Not to mention the advantage that you have for applying to Oxbridge after going to a private school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending