The Student Room Group

Returning opened iPad from PC World?

I decided to give the iPad 4th gen a go since it seemed decent enough when playing with it in shops. Never really been an Apple person but thought I'd go for it.

Though I was aware that Flash compatitability was an issue with an iPad, I wasn't expecting it to be this big've a problem. Heck I'm even having trouble with YouTube. Its getting quite frustrating now up to the point of me wanting to return it.

Since Ive already opened the the box and have played around with it, will I be able to return it to PC World?
I have everything that came with it including the reciept, but I'm a bit weary since i've never returned anything this expensive.

Also will I be able to return it at a different store than where I purchased it from since I've returned back to uni.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
You could always go and ask. If you are not happy with the item I am sure you are entitled to a refund, but because you have opened the box you might not get the full amount. It is also possible that you will not be able to get your money back but will have to pick something of equivalent value from the store. I guess the only way to know is to go in and ask them.
Original post by Jin3011
I decided to give the iPad 4th gen a go since it seemed decent enough when playing with it in shops. Never really been an Apple person but thought I'd go for it.

Though I was aware that Flash compatitability was an issue with an iPad, I wasn't expecting it to be this big've a problem. Heck I'm even having trouble with YouTube. Its getting quite frustrating now up to the point of me wanting to return it.

Since Ive already opened the the box and have played around with it, will I be able to return it to PC World?
I have everything that came with it including the reciept, but I'm a bit weary since i've never returned anything this expensive.

Also will I be able to return it at a different store than where I purchased it from since I've returned back to uni.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just use the YouTube app. Same with anything else that needs flash.

TBH, I've got a Nexus 7 tablet (Android) and that no longer supports Flash. Aside from the BBC Sport website, I can't think of many place where that really matters any more. Most video website I seem to visit use HTML5 now...
Original post by Jin3011

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

The last time I bought something expensive from PC world I was told I could only return it if it had not been opened, I assume that holds true here unfortunately.

I'm not sure why you're having issues with YouTube, the mobile site either outputs video in HTML5 or redirects to the app if memory serves. If Flash is a deal breaker, bare in mind that also rules out any tablet wit the most recent version of Android.
Reply 4
If PC World won't return it, you could try contacting Apple directly and see if they'll do anything. I know they do a guarantee if you buy from their own stores, but that may not hold since you bought it elsewhere. Worth a try though.
Reply 5
Original post by Jin3011

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

PC World will not accept refunds unless faulty, and are well known for refusing to do so. This is in line with your statutory rights.

Many vendors do offer no quibble return policies provided the item is in a saleable condition, this is all part of their commitment to excellent customer satisfaction and nothing to do with anything they are compelled to do by law.

This has caused confusion in some circles with people believing they are always entitled to change their mind on a purchase. They aren't.

Additionally with internet sales, you have the Distance Selling Regulations, but these do not apply where the purchase is not online.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Jin3011

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would not expect them to return it as there does not seem to be anything amiss

I cannot see them refunding on the basis that you are having trouble with YouTube ... especially since that is not actually an issue on the iPad
Reply 7
As you bought it in the store there's no requirement for them to offer a refund because you don't like it. The only possible exception to that is if they told you the wrong information.

You can try talking to them and see if they'll offer a refund (or voucher) but you're appealing to their better nature. It sounds like you may have had the iPad for a few weeks now so they may be less inclined to offer a refund - The better chance might be if you returned it within 14 days.
Reply 8
You could try using Skyfire or Puffin browser which will process the flash content on its own servers for you, though it wont be ideal (and im not sure if it will work for games or just videos)
Reply 9
I downloaded Photon browser for £1.99, and it works like a charm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending