The Student Room Group

Change my voice?

This may sound silly, since I'm a girl, but I was wondering if there is any way to change your voice.
My voice is 'girly' in real life, which isn't a problem I suppose, but I feel like it's too childish. A friend has told me that on the phone, she thinks I'm 4 years old.
I'm afraid it'll cause someone to not take me seriously. Or at least that it's difficult for me to sound sexy.
What can potentially change your voice?
Reply 1
It's very hard to change your voice and maintain that permanently. Most people don't like their voice, especially if they hear a recording of it. It's one of tho
Se things you are more likely to worry about precisely because you can't really do anything about it. I wouldn't worry about what your sound like on the phone either, most people have a certain tone or 'telephone voice' without realising it. I used to work in a call centre and you could hear the change in people's voices and it was funny because often their whole personality would seem different because of their attempt at professional inflections :tongue: we had this one guy who was totally monotone in person but had this complete sing-song voice for the phone. And if it makes you feel any better, I always get mistaken for my mum on the phone - I'm a guy and my voice dropped about 5 years ago. :wink:
Reply 2
The human voice continues to deepen with age, even after the usually noticeable changes that occur in adolescence. Take solace in the fact that while other women begin to sound like pensioners in their 30s and 40s, yours may sound youthful, if not 'childish'. It is also possible that you are a late-developer and your voice has not completed its adolescent development yet. If you are really hung up on your voice there are ways of altering it. Thatcher underwent voice training to assume a more 'powerful' voice, and there may even be ways of physically altering the stuff in their to change intonation etc, however the former option is probably preferable.
There's speech therapy coaches like what George VI and Margaret Thatcher had, the former to articulate words having a natural stutter, and the latter to deepen her voice.

So there is a way you can. Perhaps get a friend to coach you, see if there's any free coaching videos online. It's like practising an accent.
Reply 4
Darth Vader MasK
Reply 5
Can't really change your voice but maybe you'd benefit from some vocal coaching.
Reply 6
I reckon you probably sound cute.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending