The Student Room Group

How much do GCSEs affect getting into uni?

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I got 1A* 8A's and 3B's (in maths, drama and re) and one D* (btec hospitality and catering) do you think I have a strong chance in getting into medicine?
Your GCSE results will bite the dust by the time you finish A2 :biggrin:
Once you have done a levels or another course GCSEs become less of an issue. However for many courses (nursing, teaching to name two) you need maths, English and science at over C.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vanessadixit
I don't think they carry as much weight as some people say. I didn't do very well at GCSE (4 As, 5 Bs and 1 C) and my college still encouraged me to apply to Oxbridge. If you can showcase your true abilities at AS then there's nothing stopping you.

You didn't do very well? Yeah right 4 As is rubbish isn't it?
I must say I do get annoyed with people who think A* is the be all and end all.
I know some extremely successful people who don't have any GCSEs! When I was doing mine it was 4 Cs or above seems the stakes have got very high in the last 18 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Triple-Sod
True, though could say the same about a lot of people and their degrees when it comes to finding a job.

Agree. Having a degree from a highly regarded institution is not a guarantee of a job. I have a degree from a HE college (now a university) I needed the degree to get me into teaching, being 4 years older than everyone else helped too and I had a bit of life experience.
I said before in a previous post, I'm gobsmacked at people saying "I have 4 A*s 5As and 2Cs, will that get me into such and such a place" and "oh my results were shocking I got Bs and Cs and only one A, who will ever want me"
Yes it can be disappointing when you don't get your predicted grades (for the record I excelled mine) but having grades above C and the commitment and drive to work hard for you want can only be a good thing.
It does get to a point in life where actually these grades cease to matter (unless its medicine or something)
It's not all about grades and how academic you are in the long run it's more about commitment, drive and survival of the toughest in the job market.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
From what i have found out while looking at admissions requirements for most uni's is that only a few are wanting very good GCSE grades . some want an A grade if you are going on to study it at degree level . I was very surprised at Cambridge saying they were not so hung up about GSCE grades , not that my daughter is thinking of applying there . She goes to a school that has been put into special measures , less than half the students achieved 5 GCSE's at grades A*-C she was one of those . She is staying there tho to do her A levels , i would prefer she went to the college in the next town who achieved better A level results this year than the school she is staying at . Hopefully with Ofsted being so involved and the new head things will be ok .
Original post by Robbie242
For Cambridge, they put a more heavier emphasis on your AS level UMS, than your gcse scores, as long as you get C's and B's you should avoid oxford, but everywhere else is fairly lenient.

What about if you do super duper good in the pre test? (Or would you be rejected prior to the test)
Reply 47
Original post by John Stuart Mill
What about if you do super duper good in the pre test? (Or would you be rejected prior to the test)

I think there are only a few tests for Cambridge but the STEP paper sat for mathematics is in June, so you could be rejected prior to the test (provided you didn't do it before you applied)
Original post by DrRasheedah
Hi, I got 1A* 8A's and 3B's (in maths, drama and re) and one D* (btec hospitality and catering) do you think I have a strong chance in getting into medicine?

In short, yes you do, but you will have to be very careful about where you apply, and will definitely need the 4 As at AS level without resitting. You may possibly have to apply after your A2 year if unis aren't sure of your academic ability.

Don't look at any unis that use a points system for evaluating GCSEs, such as Cardiff or Leicester, and forget about Oxbridge and Birmingham. Some just have a minimum requirement for GCSE, which you should make for just about all of those unis, as long as you have English and Maths at grade A. I'd try looking at places like HYMS, Manchester, Barts, Brighton and Sussex, East Anglia, Keele, Peninsula, Southampton etc etc. Basically, more of the "new style" PBL courses than the traditional ones.

Obviously you do not have "bad" GCSEs, but when being compared to other medicine applicants, they will be on the low side. However, I do have a friend who got medicine offers from Manchester and HYMS with similar results, so I know it can be done. If you have any extenuating circumstances, be sure to mention these, as some places may consider you then that wouldn't otherwise.

Basically, work your socks off this year, get amazing AS results, and apply carefully, having done your research thoroughly!

Good luck!
i got 2 astars 5as and 3 bs in igcse cie . iwant to go to a top uni like ucl or lse . would they accept me even i f i do very well in my a levle and as
Reply 50
This is a very interesting post and very important to consider whilst revising and preparing for GCSEs. Firstly, to those of you who just got their GCSEs this Thursday, chill out! Whether they were exceptional, or whether they were lower than expected there will be a course out there for you. And it most certainly does not mean that you cannot reach your goals and dreams.

It all depends on the course which you will be applying to. My chosen course, Medicine, has over 40,000 applicants each year and there are about 6000 places. What you have to realise is that with every course, you will have exceptional candidates applying with a string of A*s and As at AS Level. If you are an admissions tutor and you have two students, one with all A*s and one with lower grades, they will automatically regard the A* candidate more highly. Which is why if you don't do well in your GCSEs you need to work extra hard to get good AS grades and do things which make you stand out to the tutor. For example excellent work experience, if you are hoping to do Maths at Uni then take a STEP paper.

Unfortunately there are those certain universities which have such high competition that GCSEs are very important to them. When searching for a course/university, you need to apply to your strengths. This means that if you do not have the majority A* or A at GCSE then Oxbridge, UCL, Birmingham, Kings (Medicine) are unlikely to accept you. Tbh looking at entry requirements are the absolute MINIMUM (obviously). For Med Birmingham say that they want a few As and Bs at GCSE but I know for a fact that they will have a cutoff of about 9A* at GCSE. Obv this is just Med but other subjects are the same so you have to do a LOT of research.

All you can do is your best and if it is not meant to be then accept it and either reapply or try somewhere else. But be under no illusions, if you want to apply to cambridge or Oxford, the average GCSEs of people who apply are 6A* and of all the people who go to Cambridge, 93% of their GCSE grades are A*s. I saw that figure a few years ago.
Some unis want specific entry requirements like a C in englisg gcse or a B in maths some may ask for an A but thays very few if you got a B or C in English maths and science it will b fine
I got a C in english
A*A* in Science
and an A in Math
am i good enough for a goodish UNI
Reply 53
I got rejected from lse on basis of gcses! Likely same reason I got rejected by Oxford and ucl. I didn't revise for them and regret it still..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oxford tend to look more at the GCSEs than cambridge :wink:
Original post by HeyHoYolo
As in relative performance being having grades in a below average comprehensive school and grades in a highly rated private school, the results at the comprehensive will look better?

Your school will have an average GCSE and A Level score - you will have a personal score - your score being much better than the average would help
Original post by Dalek1099
I'm pleased Oxford are interested in relative performance because I got the best GCSE results at my school so surely I must get joint top for that part of the application pretty much?

Best is not enough

If you got 10 A* but everyone else got 9A* and 1A then this would be no use to you

You really need to have a GCSE score of at least 150% of the average GCSE score for the school for it to mean anything
Original post by igottrolled
I got a C in english
A*A* in Science
and an A in Math
am i good enough for a goodish UNI

Assuming you want to do something science based and you have other C+ grades they will not be a problem
Original post by TenOfThem
Best is not enough

If you got 10 A* but everyone else got 9A* and 1A then this would be no use to you

You really need to have a GCSE score of at least 150% of the average GCSE score for the school for it to mean anything

I have definitely got that only 7 out of around 180 pupils got 9A*/A I got 16:colondollar:
Original post by Dalek1099
I have definitely got that only 7 out of around 180 pupils got 9A*/A I got 16:colondollar:

That will not come out as better I am afraid as your "score" only counts the best 8

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending