The Student Room Group

Funding a second degree

Hi!

I am looking to chase a degree in vet med. I already fit the criteria to apply in terms of qualifications and am well on my way in terms of experience. I am however lacking in funds...

Unfortunately my school/sixth form were insistent on continuing education. I didn't know what career i wanted to go into so was advised to pick something i enjoy and go for it... I therefore completed a degree in Marine Biology. As enjoyable as this degree was... it is not for me. I am however applying for related jobs anyway, since anything beats admin.

Having thought about what i want to do for a while I have confidently set my sights on studying veterinary medicine. I did very much want to do this when i was studying for my GCSEs and even A-levels but was discouraged by teachers as i would not achieve the grades. They didn't think to tell me about the college entry route, or provide any encouragement to get the needed grades/subjects. I even revisited it during my degree, considering swapping/quitting marine biology etc but was told i might as well finish the degree i have started first...

The point - There is no tuition fee loan for people wanting to study a second degree. I could at least save the money myself if it was still 3.5k a year but it is now 9k. I have battled this out with student finance, trying to find a way of securing at least some help but they struggled with giving any advice at all. I am prepared and happy to save a good chunk towards this, but i am not prepared to save £45k as who knows how long this will take and at the age i will be then, i am sure it won't be plausible.

Can anyone give me any sensible advice on finance please? The best i have had so far is... wait until the government changes again and fees might go back down....

Thank you! :-)
Consider doing a part time degree, its cheaper option.
Reply 2
Original post by Vibenation

its not any cheaper as you end up paying the same ammount overall
Reply 3
Career development loan?
Original post by OU Student
Career development loan?

You can't use career development loan to cover university fees, you can only get up to £10,000
Reply 5
Original post by Vibenation

I don't think there is a part time option for vet med unfortunately.
Reply 6
Original post by OU Student
Career development loan?

This is a good suggestion. It is an option i still need to explore - as far as i am aware you can use this towards university fees, but you may not be eligible for the full amount.

As someone else said £10k would obviously not cover it all, but its a hefty chunk!
Remember too if you're already a graduate that postgrad degrees cost more even if you're going back to undergrad level. I knew someone who did the same as you who had to prove she had £50K she did not 'need' before the uni would even consider her application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending