The Student Room Group

Nursing through Extra

Basically I applied for Radiography in November but so far I have had 4 rejections and the other choice offered me a different course, which I am not too sure its something I want to do.

Now am considering Adult Nursing but by the looks of it its very competetive, so I was just wondering what the chances are for to be there on Extra, if anyone has an idea.

Taking a gap year is not an option for me. I really want to go to uni this year. Stress is an understatement right now, can't eat, can't sleep coz I feel like its over for me this year :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
There is a chance that you'll get something through extra or clearing, however, places are very competitive. I'm applying for adult nursing, and all of the unis I'm going for have a 10:1 applicants to places ratio or higher.

Do you have any experience in a caring role? Most unis will expect some work experience, so that is also something to consider. If you are set on nursing, maybe it is better to take a year out and get experience, and research the right course for you?

Why is a gap year not an option?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
First of all, I'm sorry about your rejections, that must be really tough.

I have to say, please don't go for nursing just because you want to go to uni this year. What's the harm in waiting and trying next year? In the meantime you could be doing something to back up another application, get some work experience, maybe another course to gain some skills.

Do you really have what it takes to be a nurse, have you looked into it properly? It's very different from Radiography so I'm just wondering why it's your next choice.
Reply 3
Original post by Gnome :)
There is a chance that you'll get something through extra or clearing, however, places are very competitive. I'm applying for adult nursing, and all of the unis I'm going for have a 10:1 applicants to places ratio or higher.

Do you have any experience in a caring role? Most unis will expect some work experience, so that is also something to consider. If you are set on nursing, maybe it is better to take a year out and get experience, and research the right course for you?

Why is a gap year not an option?

Am prayin that there is something for nursing end of Feb when Extra opens. Which unis did you apply for?

Well yeah I do have some kind of experience which I think is enough because am currently working as a support worker and I have been for a while. The course that I am doing in college also offers 5 weeks of placement per year and I have been doin it for almost 3 years now so I should think thats enough to boost my application. Ideally I have always wanted to do nursing but I found about radiography as I started doing my UCAS and it seemed like something I would like which why I applied for it in the end.

I have been in college 3 years and I feel way behind already as most of my peers are in Uni now, so a gap year will just make it worse I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Pouncey
First of all, I'm sorry about your rejections, that must be really tough.

I have to say, please don't go for nursing just because you want to go to uni this year. What's the harm in waiting and trying next year? In the meantime you could be doing something to back up another application, get some work experience, maybe another course to gain some skills.

Do you really have what it takes to be a nurse, have you looked into it properly? It's very different from Radiography so I'm just wondering why it's your next choice.

Yeh I do get where you are coming from, as I said above, nursing is something I have always wanted to do but it just happened that I came across Radiography as I started doing my UCAS and it really appealed to me.

I have emailed a few universities asking whether the course would be available through EXTRA. Have to say I don't regret applying for Radiography at all coz I think if I didn't I would of felt ten times worse so was deffoe worth a try.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending