The Student Room Group

Glory hunters

No doubt there's already a thread for it but I can't find it. How far is it acceptable for you to live from the team you support? I'm from Wolverhampton and support the Wolves. I have friends that support the big teams and have lived here their entire life so are obvious gloryhunters. Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

The only fan is a local, in my opinion. If you lived in a city or town that has fielded a professional team during your formative years, you must root for that team. Sure, there are some exceptions, but use your head. Only you know your real reason for supporting a team and if "they win a lot" is one of them, the sport is better off without you. :rolleyes:

When you're a local, you generally have family and friends to introduce you to the culture of a team and its history. There's an atmosphere in the city that simply nurtures support of the team, its players, and even its administration. Going to the stadium and watching your team live alongside thousands of supporters equally as passionate and local-rooted as you is truly a feeling like no other.

I'm fully aware of the hypocrisy here as I'm a Newcastle "fan" who's never stepped foot in Newcastle (or anywhere in the UK for that matter) but I'd never even put myself in the same breath as a Geordie who's lived there for his whole life and grew up watching his side beat Barcelona, or travelled to the other side of the country this past January only to watch his side get beaten 2-nil by Brighton. These people are the real fans; these people make me proud to follow the sport.

That said, I proudly support all my local Boston teams in America. :wink:
Reply 2
My local team plays in the conference premier, so as expected like to keep track on how they are doing and support them. But I mainly support Arsenal, due to me enjoying the way they play when I was a youngster, but I know I can't call myself a crazy fan as I'm not a local (From Wales). I do still support them even if they do well or bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by I Kant Spall
The only fan is a local, in my opinion. If you lived in a city or town that has fielded a professional team during your formative years, you must root for that team. Sure, there are some exceptions, but use your head. Only you know your real reason for supporting a team and if "they win a lot" is one of them, the sport is better off without you. :rolleyes:

When you're a local, you generally have family and friends to introduce you to the culture of a team and its history. There's an atmosphere in the city that simply nurtures support of the team, its players, and even its administration. Going to the stadium and watching your team live alongside thousands of supporters equally as passionate and local-rooted as you is truly a feeling like no other.

I'm fully aware of the hypocrisy here as I'm a Newcastle "fan" who's never stepped foot in Newcastle (or anywhere in the UK for that matter) but I'd never even put myself in the same breath as a Geordie who's lived there for his whole life and grew up watching his side beat Barcelona, or travelled to the other side of the country this past January only to watch his side get beaten 2-nil by Brighton. These people are the real fans; these people make me proud to follow the sport.

That said, I proudly support all my local Boston teams in America. :wink:

Got it pretty nice in Boston with the sports teams they have :wink:

Celtics, Bruins, Red Sox and the Patriots. Damn man :tongue:
Reply 4
Essentially, I disagree. I think people will always have different reasons for supporting the teams they do. I don't think it's necessary or very fair to have one yardstick to hold everyone against. Just because someone doesn't or hasn't lived near the team they support doesn't mean that the emotional bond they have with the team is inherently weaker than what someone who has lived close by might have, in my opinion.
Reply 5
I categorically disagree.

What is the purpose of supporting a local team? What defines local? Why should one be coerced by society into supporting a local team? Why should somebody have to support a local football team, but not local music, or produce, or business etc?

For me a glory hunter is somebody that say, by about aged 16, maybe 18, looks at the league table and decides who to support depending on who is top. I also think it is somebody who changes team.

The bottom line for me is that what makes you a proper fan is a) truly loving the club you support and knowing a lot about them, b) sticking with that team through thick and thin and c) making a real effort where financially and personally responsible to go to games.

I'm a Manchester United fan from the Midlands. I've supported them since I was 6, my Parents used to live in Manchester and that is why I support them (My Dad use to watch United whilst in Manchester, Mum used to watch City at Maine Road), I've been to over 50 games, and I've never once changed team. That for me is a proper fan.

We live in an era of globalisation. I want fans from all over the world. I want people in Sydney, Beijing, New York wearing Manchester United shirts. That means my club is a success on the world stage. I wouldn't just want locals. Manchester United fans from Manchester are just a small part of the fan base. And as Manchester City grow they will become like this. Ironic as for so long they tried to claim the moral high ground by only having fans from Manchester. Incidentally, when I went to Israel I saw a few Manchester City shirts. A sign of changing times.

Support who you want and enjoy it all!
My old man lived in Edmonton as a kid. He then moved to Hatfield and had me. Nuff said.
Reply 7
I think everyone has their own reasons for supporting a football team, and those who criticise really need to find something more important to whine about. I'm a fan of Real Madrid because I love the way they play, I think they play beautiful football that is interesting to watch. I've been to Madrid to watch a game and I watch the matches on TV whenever I can; I've been called a glory hunter for that but honestly I don't care what the score is as long as they play an entertaining match; I don't think that's glory hunting.

As for local teams, I was pretty much born supporting West Brom - whole family support West Brom (well, my parents, two cousins and my nan... and then my uncle and aunt and two other cousins are Wolves supporters, has made for some interesting matches in the past :colone: ), I'll always support West Brom, but technically they're not my local team any more - we moved away from the area when I was two. Does that make me a glory hunter for still supporting them? (By the way, where I live now in the holidays, there isn't actually a local team).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
I live in northern ireland atm formely derby in the east midlands, when I was younger I supported derby but kinda grew off football as I got older.

Over here most people are Untd, City or Liverpool fans, glory supporting? I will let you decide, seing as there isnt really any premiership or championship teams here lol but I'd say it is glory supporting xD

Since ive lived here ive came to love the hockey team Belfast Giants, I think enjoying a sport as a spectator is far more fun when its you're local team, feels more personal imo, no different to supporting you're school or university teams :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Dr DaMan
No doubt there's already a thread for it but I can't find it. How far is it acceptable for you to live from the team you support? I'm from Wolverhampton and support the Wolves. I have friends that support the big teams and have lived here their entire life so are obvious gloryhunters. Thoughts?

A gloryhunter is a strange beast. There's no hard and fast definition as such, but you know one when you see one.

In my opinion, everyone should support their own local club. Supporting Utd when you come from London is just completely unacceptable and I'll reserve nothing but scorn for these types. Tbh I get slightly ticked off if you support a team from the other side of London that you come from. One of the most amusing sights you can ever witness are two London lads supporting Utd, LFC respectively, calling each others ''dirty manc scum'' and ''scouse prick'' without a hint of irony. If they had any self respect they'd have gone and gotten a pair of QPR/Palace/Spurs season tickets.

What is even more infuriating are pathetic attempts by gloryhunters to claim a vague, and normally entirely fictitious, link to the club they support. ''My mum's, step father's, brother in law's, Gardner was a season ticket holder'' kind of ****. At least be open about it if you're going to do it.

I was very lucky in that my first home was literally 10 minutes walk from Highbury, and lived within 30 minutes walk until I was 15. I still live within 45 minutes walk so my whole family truly belong to Arsenal and to Islington generally. I'd like to think that if I was born in Shepherd's Bush for example, I'd happily go to see QPR every other week. I've no problem with any random geezer supporting Arsenal, but I would be pissed off if someone from say, Birmingham tried to claim that he was as connected to the club as I am when I've walked the streets of Highbury all my life
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by LukeM90
I live in northern ireland atm formely derby in the east midlands, when I was younger I supported derby but kinda grew off football as I got older.

Over here most people are Untd, City or Liverpool fans, glory supporting? I will let you decide, seing as there isnt really any premiership or championship teams here lol but I'd say it is glory supporting xD

Since ive lived here ive came to love the hockey team Belfast Giants, I think enjoying a sport as a spectator is far more fun when its you're local team, feels more personal imo, no different to supporting you're school or university teams :smile:

I would suggest a lot of them support Celtic or Rangers... And there is an Irish League in Northern Ireland, not to be confused with the League of Ireland in the Republic. Haven't been to any Irish League games but I keep an eye on Sligo Rovers (my dad's club, not my local side) in the LOI and the standard is ok, probably about League 1 level.

Anyway, I think you should support a local side in whatever sport, either that or a team you have some connection with- like family. I don't see a problem with taking an interest in who wins in the big European leagues or the Champions League though. I've always had a soft spot for Barca and Leeds (don't ask) and Cagliari in Italy.
Reply 11
Original post by DK_Tipp
I would suggest a lot of them support Celtic or Rangers... And there is an Irish League in Northern Ireland, not to be confused with the League of Ireland in the Republic. Haven't been to any Irish League games but I keep an eye on Sligo Rovers (my dad's club, not my local side) in the LOI and the standard is ok, probably about League 1 level.

Anyway, I think you should support a local side in whatever sport, either that or a team you have some connection with- like family. I don't see a problem with taking an interest in who wins in the big European leagues or the Champions League though. I've always had a soft spot for Barca and Leeds (don't ask) and Cagliari in Italy.

Nicely put, I agree though I got into Derby through not jus having lived there but friend and family connections, made it more enjoyable.

Plus I think we can all agree the larger competitions are a bit more exciting especialy when it comes to the world cup and everyone (more or less) is following the same team xD

And yeah northern ireland is alot of rangers and celtic tops, I live in Predominantly protestant area, so alot of rangers tops, that being said alot of people follow linfield and glentoran, but its mostly Utd/liverpool ya see
Has anyone here actually met someone who has support United, City and Chelsea in the last few years?

I can honestly say I've never met one person who is like this.
Reply 13
Original post by LukeM90
Nicely put, I agree though I got into Derby through not jus having lived there but friend and family connections, made it more enjoyable.

Plus I think we can all agree the larger competitions are a bit more exciting especialy when it comes to the world cup and everyone (more or less) is following the same team xD

And yeah northern ireland is alot of rangers and celtic tops, I live in Predominantly protestant area, so alot of rangers tops, that being said alot of people follow linfield and glentoran, but its mostly Utd/liverpool ya see

Yeah, a lot of support for Liverpool and Utd throughout Ireland. I think it's a combination of success, geographic proximity relative to the rest of England and the fact they've both had plenty of Irish players, north and south down through the years. So many of my generation support United because Roy Keane was so integral to their success.
Reply 14
It seems different in Ireland, their local teams are so obscure so it's almost acceptable. Over here though it isn't, you support your local team. If they are in the conference south you support them. I can sort of understand people who support another team who are in the higher leagues but only if they're also pretty close to where they live.

What makes me laugh is the whole 'how am I a gloryhunter we haven't won anything in 8 years' or 'my dad supported them so how does that make me a glory hunter'
Original post by Eboracum
I categorically disagree.

What is the purpose of supporting a local team? What defines local? Why should one be coerced by society into supporting a local team? Why should somebody have to support a local football team, but not local music, or produce, or business etc?

For me a glory hunter is somebody that say, by about aged 16, maybe 18, looks at the league table and decides who to support depending on who is top. I also think it is somebody who changes team.

The bottom line for me is that what makes you a proper fan is a) truly loving the club you support and knowing a lot about them, b) sticking with that team through thick and thin and c) making a real effort where financially and personally responsible to go to games.

I'm a Manchester United fan from the Midlands. I've supported them since I was 6, my Parents used to live in Manchester and that is why I support them (My Dad use to watch United whilst in Manchester, Mum used to watch City at Maine Road), I've been to over 50 games, and I've never once changed team. That for me is a proper fan.

We live in an era of globalisation. I want fans from all over the world. I want people in Sydney, Beijing, New York wearing Manchester United shirts. That means my club is a success on the world stage. I wouldn't just want locals. Manchester United fans from Manchester are just a small part of the fan base. And as Manchester City grow they will become like this. Ironic as for so long they tried to claim the moral high ground by only having fans from Manchester. Incidentally, when I went to Israel I saw a few Manchester City shirts. A sign of changing times.

Support who you want and enjoy it all!

Oh here we go :rolleyes:
Original post by Dr DaMan
It seems different in Ireland, their local teams are so obscure so it's almost acceptable. Over here though it isn't, you support your local team. If they are in the conference south you support them. I can sort of understand people who support another team who are in the higher leagues but only if they're also pretty close to where they live.

What makes me laugh is the whole 'how am I a gloryhunter we haven't won anything in 8 years' or 'my dad supported them so how does that make me a glory hunter'

You get local gloryhunters too. Empty seats in the league games then sell outs for the big games. All clubs have them. Gloryhunter isn't synonymous with an out of towner.

People don't make a conscious decision to support a team, usually. When you're 6 or 7 you don't understand things as well as when you're 16 or 17. Once you're at that age where you can think for yourself then there's no excuse. It's just not the same supporting a team if you're not from that place. You can be loyal, you can care about the football, the players and be knowledgeable but you don't get the community feel, you don't walk to the ground with the people you grew up with or see your school mates at the games, you don't feel the "Manchester pride" when you watch them win the league on your stream in south England. You do miss out on a chunk of the experience, I don't care what anyone says.

I walk to my team's home games. Walking distance = local team. The next closest football club of any level is a semi-professional football club about 3 miles away in the next town. I support my local team, it's the closest to my house and I walk to the game. I'm not saying you have to walk to the game for it to be your local team either. If you're from east Manchester then you're on the other side to Man U, but it is still one of your local teams. Supporting Man U and being from Bristol or London is ridiculous.

I have no problem with people supporting who they like, just don't claim it means as much to you as it does to the local boys.

Original post by I Kant Spall

Like this man says. I have no problem with this. At least he's honest.
(edited 11 years ago)
Not really sure where I fit into all this.. - I watch football pretty much every weekend/mid week.. but I dont have a team that I support..

May sound wierd - given that following football, usually goes hand in hand with supporting/following a team.. - but It just neer really happened with me. I only started following football at uni when I was 20.. - none of my family, or friends watch/follow it.. so there were no personal ties to any clubs, no childhood ties - as I didnt follow as a child, no local ties - as there isnt a team in my town, and the nearest one is 15 miles away in a city I dont feel at all close to.. so.. no one to 'support'

Picking a team and declaring loyalty/undying love for them felt stupid, and fake.. so these days I just watch and enjoy.

I have teams I like.. and want to do well, and a fair few teams I dont like.. but none that I would call myself a 'supporter/fan/follwer' of..

Kind of a bit of a shame.. but meh, still enjoy the game :smile:
Original post by fallen_acorns
Not really sure where I fit into all this.. - I watch football pretty much every weekend/mid week.. but I dont have a team that I support..

May sound wierd - given that following football, usually goes hand in hand with supporting/following a team.. - but It just neer really happened with me. I only started following football at uni when I was 20.. - none of my family, or friends watch/follow it.. so there were no personal ties to any clubs, no childhood ties - as I didnt follow as a child, no local ties - as there isnt a team in my town, and the nearest one is 15 miles away in a city I dont feel at all close to.. so.. no one to 'support'

Picking a team and declaring loyalty/undying love for them felt stupid, and fake.. so these days I just watch and enjoy.

I have teams I like.. and want to do well, and a fair few teams I dont like.. but none that I would call myself a 'supporter/fan/follwer' of..

Kind of a bit of a shame.. but meh, still enjoy the game :smile:

I assume you're not from Bristol then?

As silly as it sounds I wouldn't begrudge someone like you saying "lI've no local teams, therefore no matches to go to, my only option is to follow a team on television regularly."

I just don't get why people would choose to support these super clubs like Man U when there's a great club on your doorstep crying out for your support :confused:
I support my local non league team and also a premiership team, supported both since I was a kid :tongue:

(Bath City and Manchester United for those interested)

Quick Reply

Latest