The Student Room Group

Essex blonde, 16, has Einstein IQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
I don't know - at the upper levels of the profession, they can be pretty cool and have a certain global cachet. It would be nice to hear of more famous women architects.

no disrespect to architecture but if someone has a brilliant mind then they should be figuring stuff out that nobody else can figure out, stuff that will advance our species.
daughter of a black cab driver
Was anyone else expecting a black girl?
Original post by CJKay
Neither Einstein nor Hawking have ever taken an IQ test. Einstein because they weren't invented in his time, and Hawking because he thinks (read: knows) they're bull****.
Just. Like. Mensa.

Well additionally, people who are already credited as geniuses have everything to lose, and nothing to gain, from taking IQ tests.

If they get in, everyone just says "well obviously"

If they fail, then there's a massive hoohah. The only people who take IQ tests are those who do it for fun, or those whose intelligence is underestimated.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
if she's that brilliant then she's wasted on architechture.

Why do you say that? I always respected the demand for mathematical and creative proficiency architechture requires
Original post by Tuerin
Why do you say that? I always respected the demand for mathematical and creative proficiency architechture requires

see post 102
see post 102

That post repeats a dismissal of architechture without really explaining why it isn't worth the time of bright minds
Original post by Tuerin
That post repeats a dismissal of architechture without really explaining why it isn't worth the time of bright minds

Because architecture is easier than understanding the currently not-understood aspects of reality. Architects design buildings, and that's fine, I'm not knocking architects, but that's not beyond the capabilities of "normal" people. Making major contributions to something like physics or mathematics generally is. Architecture is great but the ingenuity of a few great scientists has totally transformed our whole lives.
(edited 11 years ago)
Because architecture is easier than understanding the currently not-understood aspects of reality. Architects design buildings, and that's fine, I'm not knocking architects, but that's not beyond the capabilities of "normal" people. Making major contributions to something like physics or mathematics generally is. Architecture is great but the ingenuity of a few great scientists has totally transformed our whole lives.

Define 'normal'. Besides, even if the average joe was intelligent enough to become an architecht - which isn't a given - doesn't mean they'd have the willpower to succeed in that field. Likewise, just because she scored very highly on an IQ test does not mean she could automatically excel in any human endeavour. She might dislike the sciences beyond the kindergarten of GCSE, which would slow her progress in a scientific field and ultimately make less use of her there than could be made in a field which she had a passion for. Just because you consider science to be a more valuable human field doesn't mean she would have been of better use there. And who's to say that sciences are more important than architechture or arts? If it wasn't for the innovation and creativity of architechts we'd be inhabiting utilitarian wastelands conceived by the government. And what would be the point of all of science's transformations if we lived in a place like that?
Reply 108
Original post by Dukeofwembley
they have not allowed comments because the writer knows she will get backlash for writing tripe

the writer should be fired for writing worthless articles

on average at least 10-20 people in every year group have an iq above 160, it is nothing newsworthy but the writer has somehow lost her brain.

The telegraph is nearly as bad as the daily mail

the only news site worth reading is the bbc, even the guardian regularly allows rubbish to be posted

10-20 people in every year group? You mean like a school year group? :confused:

Original post by Bude8
IQ is a load of bull****

No, it's not. It's just a metric used to measure a certain type of ability. Many of the presumptions around it may be BS, such as high IQ equates to amazing performance for example, but that doesn't make IQ itself any less reliable?

Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
Come back when you do something with your IQ.

Agreed.
Reply 109
Yes but I highly doubt she knows the theory of relatively let alone could come up with something comparable..........
Original post by Tuerin
Define 'normal'. Besides, even if the average joe was intelligent enough to become an architecht - which isn't a given - doesn't mean they'd have the willpower to succeed in that field. Likewise, just because she scored very highly on an IQ test does not mean she could automatically excel in any human endeavour. She might dislike the sciences beyond the kindergarten of GCSE, which would slow her progress in a scientific field and ultimately make less use of her there than could be made in a field which she had a passion for. Just because you consider science to be a more valuable human field doesn't mean she would have been of better use there. And who's to say that sciences are more important than architechture or arts? If it wasn't for the innovation and creativity of architechts we'd be inhabiting utilitarian wastelands conceived by the government. And what would be the point of all of science's transformations if we lived in a place like that?

I'm not saying everyone can do architecture, or that architects aren't bright people. I'm not even saying science is necessarily more important than architecture, which is obviously a useful, even indispensable profession.

What I'm saying is that there are way more people who could be architects than there are people who could figure out things that the likes of Albert Einstein have figured out. That stuff can be very difficult to grasp even when it's meticulously spelled out in textbooks, never mind having to work it out yourself from scratch. These people are unique, a tiny minority of exceptional human beings, and they don't come along often. She could be a very successful architect but if she's really capable of solving something unsolved and she doesn't do it then that's a tragedy in my eyes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by M1011

No, it's not. It's just a metric used to measure a certain type of ability. Many of the presumptions around it may be BS, such as high IQ equates to amazing performance for example, but that doesn't make IQ itself any less reliable?

If you wish to argue, then please tell me by describing and explaining what IQ is, and how it is reliable
Original post by 2ndClass
Yes but I highly doubt she knows the theory of relatively let alone could come up with something comparable..........

To be fair, Einstein was often modest about his achievements, "right place, right time", etc. He was building on other people's work apparently. I don't understand relativity very well, and I'm sure it's extraordinary, but not everyone is going to be brilliant at that particular kind of reasoning, stellar IQ or not.

I think I remember reading that people with very high IQs often have personality difficulties and don't always make a success of their lives, society is not particularly welcoming in some ways to very brainy people, especially very brainy people who have eccentricities or character issues.
Reply 113
To be fair, Einstein was often modest about his achievements, "right place, right time", etc. He was building on other people's work apparently. I don't understand relativity very well, and I'm sure it's extraordinary, but not everyone is going to be brilliant at that particular kind of reasoning, stellar IQ or not.

I think I remember reading that people with very high IQs often have personality difficulties and don't always make a success of their lives, society is not particularly welcoming in some ways to very brainy people, especially very brainy people who have eccentricities or character issues.

You go to Oxford right? so your IQ must be somewhat similar?
Reply 114
Original post by Bude8
If you wish to argue, then please tell me by describing and explaining what IQ is, and how it is reliable

Your argument is the equivalent of saying nose length does not correlate to sense of smell, therefore a measuring tape doesn't work.
You go to Oxford right? so your IQ must be somewhat similar?

Well, you know what they say about Oxford and Cambridge being full of eccentrics...
Reply 116
Well, you know what they say about Oxford and Cambridge being full of eccentrics...

lol I wasn't calling you weird, I think eccentric girls are quite charming tbh. It's just that Oxford isn't exactly a run of the mill university hence the people who go there have a brain cell or two. Your IQ must be comparable to hers, that's all.
lol I wasn't calling you weird, I think eccentric girls are quite charming tbh. It's just that Oxford isn't exactly a run of the mill university hence the people who go there have a brain cell or two. Your IQ must be comparable to hers, that's all.

I think the truth is that you would get a fairly wide range of IQs were you to test the student body at Oxford - the minimum would doubtless be above average, but the average at Oxford I seriously doubt would be anywhere near those kinds of scores.

EDIT Waits for the obligatory Cambridge student to turn up and mention that it would be 50% higher over there in the Fens.
I have a really high IQ and im thick as hell. mainly because my mind cant concentrate on one thing. Point is, IQ tests must be as accurate for measuring intelligence as Ray Charles' eyes are for measuring a wall. Nine years after his death.

The girl has big dreams, i'm sure she does well in life.
Original post by M1011
Your argument is the equivalent of saying nose length does not correlate to sense of smell, therefore a measuring tape doesn't work.

You've criticised my argument, but haven't answer my question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending