The Student Room Group

'If you can't find something to live for, find something to die for.'

I'm done looking for something to live for, so it is with regret that I now seek meaning and purpose in death. In search of inspiration, I put it to you, in what cause(s) would you lay down your life and feel content that you had done good?

I have been contemplating donating my organs. I think perhaps if I died knowing that my organs would save peoples' lives and allow them a chance to be happy, have adventures, find love and maybe have a family, I could die knowing that I'd made all of that possible and well that would feel kind of nice.
(edited 11 years ago)
Dude... :frown:

I always found your Marvin avatar depressing, but didn't think it'd manifest to anything like this :s-smilie:

Well...I'd probably say a pound of meat for a pound of meat...I'd only give up my own life knowing that it would save someone's whom I cared for deeply
Ditto. The only situation in which I could contemplate something like that is one in which giving my life would ensure that I would save someone who I cared for very deeply. Can't imagine giving my life for any ideological reasons, and as far as I'm concerned, anyone who would do so is a nutter.
Reply 3
Original post by Futility
I'm done looking for something to live for, so it is with regret that I now seek meaning and purpose in death. In search of inspiration, I put it to you, in what cause(s) would you lay down your life and feel content that you had done good?

I have been contemplating donating my organs. I think perhaps if I died knowing that my organs would save peoples' lives and allow them a chance to be happy, have adventures, find love and maybe have a family, I could die knowing that I'd made all of that possible and well that would feel kind of nice.

How about allowing them to harm others?

I say something worth dying for must be noble and/or grand. It shouldn't be something you fancied after reading about online.

On a different note, why are you so willing to give up your own life yet contemplate saving a life with it? I mean, if you find meaning in doing good to others, there is much more good you can do alive than dead.
Reply 4
Original post by viriol

I say something worth dying for must be noble and/or grand. It shouldn't be something you fancied after reading about online.

On a different note, why are you so willing to give up your own life yet contemplate saving a life with it? I mean, if you find meaning in doing good to others, there is much more good you can do alive than dead.

The simple answer, speaking as someone who isn't necessarily of the same mind as Futility is that life can be hard, sometimes it can be so difficult it feels impossible.
I've had similar thoughts in my past, I live with depression and have come close to taking my own life before.

Truth is there's nothing I can say to revolutionise your life and make everything seem rosy because it doesn't seem to work that way. It's taken me years, on and off medication and an ungodly amount of time meditating and considering my life. Even now I'm undecided as to what I want to do...
I guess what I'm saying is it can get better, it does if you work at it and you're not alone in this.

Ultimately I'm not really living for anything anymore, maybe I'm living to find something worth living for, that's why I study philosophy.
Reply 5
Original post by viriol

Obviously there's no way that I can know for sure that those who's lives were saved using my organs would lead positive lives themselves, but one would hope that having been given an extended lease of life, they would make the most of it.

Original post by viriol

Two lives are not necessarily of equal value.
Reply 6
Are you trying to say what I think you're trying to say?
Reply 7
Original post by Hugga_Bear
The simple answer, speaking as someone who isn't necessarily of the same mind as Futility is that life can be hard, sometimes it can be so difficult it feels impossible.
I've had similar thoughts in my past, I live with depression and have come close to taking my own life before.

My point was why die to let someone live if one finds life that bad.
Reply 8
Obviously there's no way that I can know for sure that those who's lives were saved using my organs would lead positive lives themselves, but one would hope that having been given an extended lease of life, they would make the most of it.

Still, I'm not sure odds are on your side.

Two lives are not necessarily of equal value.

That wasn't my point when I got into this, but why should anybody's life be worth more than your own? I mean, if you think this way, what do other people have to make their lives that much more valuable?

Correct me if I'm going over my head, but I get the impression that people get into the state you're in right now by overthinking life, trying to find meaning in a daily struggle that seems to serve no higher purpose. If this is the case for you, are you saying a person's life can be more valuable if that person just doesn't think about these things?

I know you didn't start this thread to discuss this part, but I'm honestly baffled by your point of view here. Of course, I can't say I wouldn't like it if you changed your mind.
Reply 9
Original post by viriol
My point was why die to let someone live if one finds life that bad.

Because not everybody feels the same way as I, there are many people whom love life and whom, given the chance, would make much more of their lives than I have/will of mine.

Original post by viriol
That wasn't my point when I got into this, but why should anybody's life be worth more than your own? I mean, if you think this way, what do other people have to make their lives that much more valuable?

Correct me if I'm going over my head, but I get the impression that people get into the state you're in right now by overthinking life, trying to find meaning in a daily struggle that seems to serve no higher purpose. If this is the case for you, are you saying a person's life can be more valuable if that person just doesn't think about these things?

I know you didn't start this thread to discuss this part, but I'm honestly baffled by your point of view here. Of course, I can't say I wouldn't like it if you changed your mind.

In my view there is no inherent meaning to life, so one must create their own meaning. Some people are more successful in accomplishing this than others. The value of one's life, in my opinion, pertains to the sum of all aspects of one's life experience which have been subjectively ascribed meaning; anything from academic and career achievements, to love and relationships, travel and adventure and influence and happiness, essentially anything from which one can draw contentment and happiness.

My life is a vacuous husk of torment and despair; it is devoid of all meaning, and thus, worthless. And so I seek meaning in death, in order that I shall not have lived in vain. If I can do this by means of prolonging a more meaningful life, then I can die content.
Reply 10

but then what would happen if your organs went to someone who had your attitude on life and death? would that be classed as a 'success'?
Reply 11
I came to this thread baffled by the title, and now I just feel sad. It's all a bit deep for 3am.
Reply 12
Original post by NWA
but then what would happen if your organs went to someone who had your attitude on life and death? would that be classed as a 'success'?

Somebody who shared my attitude towards life and death would, I suspect, not accept a donated organ.
Reply 13
I struggled to find meaning in my existence for some time. When I registered on this forum, it was actually so that I could ask whether there were any sound philosophical arguments against nihilism, the position I had reached after scepticism had led me to ebb away at everything I believed in.

Luckily, I was able to crawl out of it. I realised that there was only emptiness in living for oneself. Living for others, however, was the solution. If I wanted my life to have purpose, it must be purposeful to something; it must in some way matter to an external perspective whose existence would be affected by mine. Positively affecting others' lives is the only way to achieve true purpose. The 'meaning', I discovered, was compassion.

Two years ago I felt quite similarly to how you do now, but know that by starting from nothing, you will be able to construct for yourself a rational foundation of beliefs free from nonsensical inherited biases, and once you have used it to glimpse this 'purpose', your contentment in life will be as unassailable as reason itself. Think about it for as long as it takes - don't let yourself give up prematurely.

If you want to read my thoughts more completely, I set them out here: http://journalofinterest.com/essays/meaning-of-life/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by miser
x

I have come to much the same conclusion, I mention as much under the term 'influence' in previous posts. But the question for me then becomes, how? How do I positively influence other people's lives? I have nothing to offer. I have no discernible talent or skills, I'm not intelligent or creative, I'm socially inept and a virtual recluse, I crack under pressure and have nobody to love and nobody to love me. The only thing I have to give, is my life.
Reply 15
I have come to much the same conclusion, I mention as much under the term 'influence' in previous posts. But the question for me then becomes, how? How do I positively influence other people's lives? I have nothing to offer. I have no discernible talent or skills, I'm not intelligent or creative, I'm socially inept and a virtual recluse, I crack under pressure and have nobody to love and nobody to love me. The only thing I have to give, is my life.

'How' is the million dollar question. For me, I accomplish it through three principle methods, which are:

1. To live according to my 'life rules', which constrain me to self-improvement and ethical behaviours
2. To eventually inherit my aikido teacher's club and use it as a vehicle to continue his teachings
3. To promote the values of compassion and rationality, and use these to help others where and when I reasonably can

If you have no skills, you can create some. From these posts I see that you are intelligent enough. If you are socially inept then expose yourself to situations that ameliorate that quality. If you have nobody to love, then add value to people's lives and they will wish to be around you.

Do not bother about these details though; the most important thing is to cultivate a disposition towards bettering yourself and others - the rest will come as a matter of course. If you are in a position where you feel you have nothing to lose, then give it a go.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16

You seem smart enough. If you get called upon to pick a side in something that really matters, and one day you will, you're probably the type of person who will choose well and people will appreciate your support more than you might think. Every human being can offer their labour or their mind to an important cause if they really want to, and most can probably offer both.

When was the last time you went on a stupidly long walk away from civilisation? Sounds to me like you could use it. It's easy to feel trapped when you haven't got away in a while, but your fears are rarely as rational as you believe them to be.
Reply 17
Because not everybody feels the same way as I, there are many people whom love life and whom, given the chance, would make much more of their lives than I have/will of mine.

In my view there is no inherent meaning to life, so one must create their own meaning. Some people are more successful in accomplishing this than others. The value of one's life, in my opinion, pertains to the sum of all aspects of one's life experience which have been subjectively ascribed meaning; anything from academic and career achievements, to love and relationships, travel and adventure and influence and happiness, essentially anything from which one can draw contentment and happiness.

My life is a vacuous husk of torment and despair; it is devoid of all meaning, and thus, worthless. And so I seek meaning in death, in order that I shall not have lived in vain. If I can do this by means of prolonging a more meaningful life, then I can die content.

But what have you effectively tried to do to give it meaning? Tried, not thought of?

You have mentioned you don't know how to have a positive impact on the lives of others due to a lack of skills, haven't you? That sounds strange to me, as you don't need any kind of skill to do this. Not even social skills.

The time I remember as the time I did the most good to a stranger was at the time in my life when I was the most socially inept (50% of my interaction with kids my age involved insults, and the interaction with older kids involved fists and bleeding noses). I had been taken to a retirement home and I spent a few hours talking to a 90-year old former History teacher whose short-term memory was as good as none. She asked me who I was about ten times, and repeated information over and over again, but I'm certain we enjoyed each other's company and I somehow made her day better. I certainly didn't need any special ability besides the ability to talk. It was weird introducing myself, but she was surprisingly eager to talk to somebody, and it was actually an interesting conversation - and I guess the memory thing helped with the awkwardness...

Why not set up or join a charity and help even more people. Or just get into the habit of visiting a retirement home and listening to those who want nothing more than to have a pair of receiving ears. Or join a scheme to help disabled children. There will never be a shortage of people who need help. You don't have to be enthusiastic, clever or even particularly understanding. You just need to help where you can. Even if your own life amounts to nothing, you will have given those people the very thing they crave the most, which is voluntary company and companionship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending