The Student Room Group

Child Murderer Murdered in Prison

Scroll to see replies

This also interested me, I support the sheriff's attitude here; while I have zero sympathy for the guy I think this is a more fitting punishment for a child murderer rather than in turn being murdered himself...
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=535708433118119&set=a.479217788767184.111831.479202222102074&type=1&theater
Reply 141
Original post by ecokid
You're misunderstanding. Let me clarify my opinion. Crime exists because of humanity's sense of self-entitlement/self-centredness. To state that he got what he deserves is to place value on your emotional response (i.e disgust at his crime) above our judicial system that governs our society. Often crime is a result of an individual acting out from a sense of self-entitlement/selfishness (regardless of how deluded that is) that conflicts with our social laws.

Violent crimes or crimes of severe domestic abuse, like this case, are usually a result of the individual reacting to their emotional response to the situation - whether that is instantaneously or over a long period of time. Simply put, they feel justified in their actions due to the strength of their emotional response to the situation e.g. revenge.

People who condone violence of any type share a similar point of view, where they priviledge their emotional response over the wider social laws that govern us, claiming that it is justified.

The only difference is that the people condoning this violence are currently looking over the yellow tape at the crime scene , but it is this sense of conviction in response to an emotional response could easily place them on the other side as a result of future circumstances.

Couldn't have said it better. By failing to condemn the behaviour of the killers you are supporting the idea that it is fine to break society's laws if you can justify it. As wrong as he was, the child killer wouldn't have commited the crime unless he felt he that it was justified in breaking the law- he put his own desire to harm the child above the childs right to safety and above our laws. If the killers are to be allowed to break the law simply because they put their hatred above the law then we must also allow him to do the same. It is perfectly understandable to have these strong emotional responses but if we are to condemn him for putting his own desires above our laws we not must do the same. The idea that we should break the law because we feel strongly about it is the cause of crime and is something we should be strongly opposing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Sent from my HTC One X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending