The Student Room Group

Requirements for Computer Science

I'll be applying to universities for 2014 entry and recently I've started considering Computer Science as a possible course. It's a subject I've always been interested in, however it's never really occurred to me that it's something I could actually study until late last year, meaning that I have no experience in the area. Looking at different uni's websites, none of them ask for CS at A level (well, a few colleges at Cambridge say it's useful, but I can always apply to other ones if I decide to go for there) and most even say that they don't expect you to know anything about programming. Obviously, I know that if I do decide that this is the course for me I'm going to need to read around the subject and maybe start a few projects (I'm about to start teaching myself the basics of one or two languages using codecademy, starting with Python as I know people who can help me with it), but I was wondering if there is any realistic chance of me being accepted to a Russell Group uni with so little experience, and if there is what can I do to help my application.
The course I'm most interested in is probably the Cambridge one, as it has an option to take a more mathematical route.
I'm taking Maths, Biology, Economic and Politics (predicted A* for the first two and A for the latter two), and will be taking Further Maths next year providing something doesn't go horribly wrong and I need to retake instead. I would also be willing to take up a Physics AS after dropping one of my weaker subjects if that could help.
Does anyone have any suggestions/ advice? :smile:

(also I'm sorry if there's already a thread like this, I tried to find one but I'm tired and could easily of missed it :s-smilie:)
OK, I received an offer from Cambridge for Computer Science last month, so I hope my knowledge of the applications and interview process will be of some use.
Firstly, they don't expect you to know much about computing. The sum of my computing knowledge/experience at the time of the interview was:

Books/Articles:

Computer Science: An Overview, by Glenn Brookshear. Cannot recommend this enough, it's an amazing introduction and will give you a solid foundation in the subject. I picked up an old edition (about 2001) for £3 on Amazon, don't go spend £40 on the newest edition, there's no point, but it's a great way to show your interest.

Brian Hayes compsci articles in American Scientist: give a good perspective of applications in the real world, quite interesting. There are loads, but try to read a few.

Others:

Weeks work experience at a local software firm. Not sure how useful this actually was in the application, to be honest I didn't do much computing that week.
I did learn some Python in that week, so I mentioned that and some programs I'd written.
Extended project on cryptography (very much related to compsci). I genuinely believe this made the difference in my application, I'd certainly recommend it.

My point is, I had done VERY little computing prior to last summer, I'm sure you can fit in all of that stuff in the time you have left, and I was successful.

At the interview, they don't presume much knowledge of computing, this was the same for Imperial too. I spoke about cryptography for a bit, then did some problem solving questions (logic/maths puzzles). I didn't get any open ended questions like 'why do you want to study computer science', and I didn't really have to give any long answers.

Obviously, this is just my experience, and I can't promise it will be the same for all colleges, but the emphasis is VERY much on what you are capable of, they are aware computing is not widely taught, so they do not expect much prior knowledge, but the do expect you to have explored the field a bit to make sure it is what you want to do.

My offer is A*AA, with the A* in Maths. You seem capable of achieving this, so I wouldn't worry too much on those grounds.

So, best of luck, I'm sure you'll be fine, just READ :smile:
Hi
You've mentioned Cambridge, but I'll take the liberty of assuming you're also considering either the straight Computer Science or Maths and Computer Science degrees at Oxford too, so hopefully this will be of use to you. :-)

Our standard conditional offer is A*AA with at least an A in Maths. For the straight CompSci degree the A* has to be in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. For Maths and CompSci you need A*/A in Maths/Further Maths (either way around) or if Further Maths isn't taken, an A* in Maths. So, Maths is essential and we think that Further Maths is the best preparation for one of our courses. In terms of subject choice it sounds like you've got that covered nicely. We suggest a science subject such as Physics, but it's not essential. (We'd be perfectly happy to see Biology.) We only make offers on three A2s, although we'd notice if you'd done more. You therefore couldn't use an extra AS in Physics towards the A*AA. We've certainly seen successful candidates with politics/economics as a third/fourth A Level, so no problem at all with that.

We are very much looking for students with an interest in the subject (we want to be sure you know you really do want to spend a tough three/four years focused on the subject(s)), but we aren't looking for any specific knowledge. The courses start from first principles. Some students (30-40% approx) of our A-Level taking candidates in the last couple of years have done Computing but the rest haven't. So it's certainly realistic to apply without having done it. Some of our students having been programming at home for years; others were quite new to the field when they applied. What we are really looking for is students with a proven flair for Maths. We make some suggestions of activities and books to get you started in the field of CompSci here. But they are just suggestions. As explained in our guidance about writing a CS personal statement, talk something(s) related to Maths or Computing that you have done to demonstrate your passion for the subject, and help convince us of your commitment. We don't have a checklist of things we want you to have completed: we'd rather hear about what you've chosen to do, and what excited you about it. It doesn't have to be earth-shatteringly original.

As mentioned above, regarding Cambridge interviews, the Oxford interview doesn't require you to have computing knowledge either. They very mathematically focussed. Examples are given here. The MAT aptitude/admissions test that our candidates sit is also very maths-based. To give you a rough idea in the last couple of years we've interviewed students who've got, broadly speaking, above 50-53%.

I hope that helps.
Reply 3
Original post by Lelouch Lamperouge
OK, I received an offer from Cambridge for Computer Science last month, so I hope my knowledge of the applications and interview process will be of some use.
Firstly, they don't expect you to know much about computing. The sum of my computing knowledge/experience at the time of the interview was:

Books/Articles:

Computer Science: An Overview, by Glenn Brookshear. Cannot recommend this enough, it's an amazing introduction and will give you a solid foundation in the subject. I picked up an old edition (about 2001) for £3 on Amazon, don't go spend £40 on the newest edition, there's no point, but it's a great way to show your interest.

Brian Hayes compsci articles in American Scientist: give a good perspective of applications in the real world, quite interesting. There are loads, but try to read a few.

Others:

Weeks work experience at a local software firm. Not sure how useful this actually was in the application, to be honest I didn't do much computing that week.
I did learn some Python in that week, so I mentioned that and some programs I'd written.
Extended project on cryptography (very much related to compsci). I genuinely believe this made the difference in my application, I'd certainly recommend it.

My point is, I had done VERY little computing prior to last summer, I'm sure you can fit in all of that stuff in the time you have left, and I was successful.

At the interview, they don't presume much knowledge of computing, this was the same for Imperial too. I spoke about cryptography for a bit, then did some problem solving questions (logic/maths puzzles). I didn't get any open ended questions like 'why do you want to study computer science', and I didn't really have to give any long answers.

Obviously, this is just my experience, and I can't promise it will be the same for all colleges, but the emphasis is VERY much on what you are capable of, they are aware computing is not widely taught, so they do not expect much prior knowledge, but the do expect you to have explored the field a bit to make sure it is what you want to do.

My offer is A*AA, with the A* in Maths. You seem capable of achieving this, so I wouldn't worry too much on those grounds.

Wow, thanks so much! I'm ordering the book right now :tongue: My tutor has also just suggested the EPQ as a way of showing my interest, so I'll definitely be looking into that, as well as trying to write a couple of programmes.

Once again, thanks, you've really boosted my confidence about applying for this subject! Good luck with the rest of your exams, although I'm sure you'll make your offer :biggrin: Do you mind me asking which college you applied to, just out of curiosity?
Reply 4
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
Hi
You've mentioned Cambridge, but I'll take the liberty of assuming you're also considering either the straight Computer Science or Maths and Computer Science degrees at Oxford too, so hopefully this will be of use to you. :-)

Our standard conditional offer is A*AA with at least an A in Maths. For the straight CompSci degree the A* has to be in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. For Maths and CompSci you need A*/A in Maths/Further Maths (either way around) or if Further Maths isn't taken, an A* in Maths. So, Maths is essential and we think that Further Maths is the best preparation for one of our courses. In terms of subject choice it sounds like you've got that covered nicely. We suggest a science subject such as Physics, but it's not essential. (We'd be perfectly happy to see Biology.) We only make offers on three A2s, although we'd notice if you'd done more. You therefore couldn't use an extra AS in Physics towards the A*AA. We've certainly seen successful candidates with politics/economics as a third/fourth A Level, so no problem at all with that.

We are very much looking for students with an interest in the subject (we want to be sure you know you really do want to spend a tough three/four years focused on the subject(s)), but we aren't looking for any specific knowledge. The courses start from first principles. Some students (30-40% approx) of our A-Level taking candidates in the last couple of years have done Computing but the rest haven't. So it's certainly realistic to apply without having done it. Some of our students having been programming at home for years; others were quite new to the field when they applied. What we are really looking for is students with a proven flair for Maths. We make some suggestions of activities and books to get you started in the field of CompSci here. But they are just suggestions. As explained in our guidance about writing a CS personal statement, talk something(s) related to Maths or Computing that you have done to demonstrate your passion for the subject, and help convince us of your commitment. We don't have a checklist of things we want you to have completed: we'd rather hear about what you've chosen to do, and what excited you about it. It doesn't have to be earth-shatteringly original.

As mentioned above, regarding Cambridge interviews, the Oxford interview doesn't require you to have computing knowledge either. They very mathematically focussed. Examples are given here. The MAT aptitude/admissions test that our candidates sit is also very maths-based. To give you a rough idea in the last couple of years we've interviewed students who've got, broadly speaking, above 50-53%.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for replying, it's certainly calmed my nerves to be told this by the department directly :smile: When it comes to taking a Physics AS, I know that I won't be able to use it towards my offer, but I was wondering whether it would be useful during the Computer Science course to have that background knowledge there.
Also, thank you for the links, I'll start ordering a few of the suggested reading materials and having a more detailed look into the MAT test this weekend.
Reply 5
Original post by Lelouch Lamperouge

Books/Articles:

Others:

Hi, thanks for all the advice you've posted, I also want to do Computer Science, but I'm not sure at which uni and so that remains variable within the grades I get this summer.

I wanted to ask about the A levels you chose? I'm currently doing Maths, Physics, Politics and Graphics- due to the size of my sixth form, they don't offer a wide range of subjects so will this put my application at a disadvantage?

For the top unis, they want an A/A* in maths, but what about your other 2 subjects: how important are they? Graphics/Politics doesn't relate that well to Computer Science, but then again- not other subject really does.
Original post by Loki Laufeyson
Thanks for replying, it's certainly calmed my nerves to be told this by the department directly :smile: When it comes to taking a Physics AS, I know that I won't be able to use it towards my offer, but I was wondering whether it would be useful during the Computer Science course to have that background knowledge there.
Also, thank you for the links, I'll start ordering a few of the suggested reading materials and having a more detailed look into the MAT test this weekend.

Physics is useful to us in that it helps you develop your mathematical thinking. There are other ways of doing that that aren't though a physics A Level. But if you want to do it, go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending