The Student Room Group

chemical engineering help

Hey guys
Im currently a 6th form student and i will be applying to universities for 2014. Unfortunately i'm such an indecisive person when it comes to what course i would like to undertake :frown:
For As i am studying chemistry biology maths and economics and previously i wanted to apply for Dentistry. However, my mind has changed (typical) and now i'm thinking about either Pharmacy or chemical engineering because they both involve the subjects i enjoy most (science and maths).
BUT I NEED HELP!!! I've researched about chemical engineering but i don't know what i can do in order to increase my chances of getting in. For instance, you can do work experience for pharmacy and then write about everything in your personal statement. What can i do for chemical engineering that could I could potentially add to my personal statement in the near future. Sorry for the long paragraph. Any help is appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by 07sid
Hey guys
Im currently a 6th form student and i will be applying to universities for 2014. Unfortunately i'm such an indecisive person when it comes to what course i would like to undertake :frown:
For As i am studying chemistry biology maths and economics and previously i wanted to apply for Dentistry. However, my mind has changed (typical) and now i'm thinking about either Pharmacy or chemical engineering because they both involve the subjects i enjoy most (science and maths).
BUT I NEED HELP!!! I've researched about chemical engineering but i don't know what i can do in order to increase my chances of getting in. For instance, you can do work experience for pharmacy and then write about everything in your personal statement. What can i do for chemical engineering that could I could potentially add to my personal statement in the near future. Sorry for the long paragraph. Any help is appreciated!

a lot of people don't have work experience prior to studying engineering but some manage to get some. It's not a must either so don't worry at all :smile: it's mainly about getting the grades really.

Also your still doing AS its still early so don't worry if your still un decisive as time goes on you will find out what you like best.
Reply 2
Hey! I'm pretty much in the same position of you! But deciding between Optometry and Chem Engineering, chem engineering sounds great, more credible and better outcomes but I'm pretty much set for Optometry as I've been working as an optical assistant for about a year and a half now but idk if I want to commit myself to an entire career in it :/
I'm so confused!
Reply 3
Original post by Saraah17
Hey! I'm pretty much in the same position of you! But deciding between Optometry and Chem Engineering, chem engineering sounds great, more credible and better outcomes but I'm pretty much set for Optometry as I've been working as an optical assistant for about a year and a half now but idk if I want to commit myself to an entire career in it :/
I'm so confused!

tell me about it! im more interested in chemistry and biology rather than chem and maths so thats opened another door to biochemical engineering, which is still part of chemical engineering right? i dont even know... ive tried to research it but everything that is coming up is about biomedical engineering. this sucks
Reply 4
hey, im a first year at leeds doing chemical engineering and coincidentially enough wanted to do dentistry before hand (got a condtional offer but just missed my grade requirements for it).

I can't really give any advice on it since I got in through clearing with a dentistry personal statement, so I'm not even sure of what there requirements for this course are. But any work experience in the process industry - where items are manufactured, processed etc or just generally in the chemistry industry/general fields of engineering will always make you stand out, good thing to talk about in interviews etc etc
Reply 5
Original post by 07sid
tell me about it! im more interested in chemistry and biology rather than chem and maths so thats opened another door to biochemical engineering, which is still part of chemical engineering right? i dont even know... ive tried to research it but everything that is coming up is about biomedical engineering. this sucks

biochemical engineering sounds great too, i'd totally consider it if i didn't hate bio so much haha. The more I look into uni courses, the more confused i get!
Reply 6
Original post by afshan93
hey, im a first year at leeds doing chemical engineering and coincidentially enough wanted to do dentistry before hand (got a condtional offer but just missed my grade requirements for it).

I can't really give any advice on it since I got in through clearing with a dentistry personal statement, so I'm not even sure of what there requirements for this course are. But any work experience in the process industry - where items are manufactured, processed etc or just generally in the chemistry industry/general fields of engineering will always make you stand out, good thing to talk about in interviews etc etc

how are you finding it so far? yeh i see what youre saying but its so hard to find work experience in these areas sometimes.
sorry for asking loads of questions but what subjects did you do?
you see i dont do physics so im wondering whether ill struggle with chem eng
Reply 7
biochemical engineering sounds great too, i'd totally consider it if i didn't hate bio so much haha. The more I look into uni courses, the more confused i get!

youre not alone! i feel way to young to be making life decisions ahhhh! and the fact that there are only two unis that have the biochemical engineering courses *cries*
Reply 8
Original post by 07sid

Actually chemical engineering, despite its name, doesn't involve much chemistry at all, it's more maths and physics than chemistry
Reply 9
Original post by ST_STACKING
Actually chemical engineering, despite its name, doesn't involve much chemistry at all, it's more maths and physics than chemistry

hmmm yeah thats why im thinking more of biochemical engineering rather than chem eng??
Reply 10
Original post by 07sid
how are you finding it so far? yeh i see what youre saying but its so hard to find work experience in these areas sometimes.
sorry for asking loads of questions but what subjects did you do?
you see i dont do physics so im wondering whether ill struggle with chem eng

maths biology and chemistry (gave up french after AS)...you can get into chem eng without even doing chemistry a level so the physics doesnt really matter. leeds offered optional modules for either maths, physics or chem if you didnt do one for a level, assume its the same in other unis
Reply 11
Original post by ST_STACKING

that's put me off it a little because I never liked Physics much :frown:
Reply 12
The Pharmacy job market is completely saturated. I would go with Chemical Engineering as it is more of a 'mans degree', if I dare say it.
Reply 13
Original post by madfish
The Pharmacy job market is completely saturated. I would go with Chemical Engineering as it is more of a 'mans degree', if I dare say it.

i know loads of people want to go into pharmacy too :/
i want to know more about biochemical engineering but there is hardly anything! its all biomedical engineering this and biomedical engineering that
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 07sid
Hey guys

I'm a chemical engineering first year student at Newcastle, and don't worry about not doing physics a-level: I didn't and I know a lot of people in my class didn't either, and we have settled in fine. Be warned it is a lot of maths, but has chemistry and biology aspects too. Most people don't get any specific chemical engineering work experience, but any sort of processing/engineering work experience is beneficial. But they don't seem to be too bothered either way as I had lots of medical work experience and no engineering and I still got a place on MEng :smile: I would recommend this degree to anyone who loves maths and science, and is willing to do a lot of hard work!

Hope this helps! :smile: Feel free to ask any more questions and I will try to help :biggrin:
that's put me off it a little because I never liked Physics much :frown:

I didn't like physics much either, but chemical engineering is a different type of physics, it is more 'maths' than 'physics maths' (if that make sense :/)..as is not mechanics :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by funkymunkey123
I'm a chemical engineering first year student at Newcastle, and don't worry about not doing physics a-level: I didn't and I know a lot of people in my class didn't either, and we have settled in fine. Be warned it is a lot of maths, but has chemistry and biology aspects too. Most people don't get any specific chemical engineering work experience, but any sort of processing/engineering work experience is beneficial. But they don't seem to be too bothered either way as I had lots of medical work experience and no engineering and I still got a place on MEng :smile: I would recommend this degree to anyone who loves maths and science, and is willing to do a lot of hard work!

Hope this helps! :smile: Feel free to ask any more questions and I will try to help :biggrin:

thankyou so much this really helped! im just deciding between chemical engineering and biochemical engineering because they both seem so interesting! its just a shame that i cant find out more about biochemical engineering and that only like 2/3 unis offer that course. i would love to find out more about it in order to make a decision. but thanks again :biggrin:
Original post by funkymunkey123

Hey i am thinking of doing chemical engineering but unfortunately not taken maths, do you know how the foundation years work at newcastle university for chemical engineering?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Hey i am thinking of doing chemical engineering but unfortunately not taken maths, do you know how the foundation years work at newcastle university for chemical engineering?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Someone I know did a foundation year and they did a general engineering foundation with chemical engineering elements, but also include the other engineering disciplines for example electrical modules. But when we started the course they were ahead with some of the modules as they go through stuff which is not covered or mentioned in a-level. And generally the lecturers you have for first year chem eng are the same as the foundation year.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 19
The thing with work experience is what you've gained from it. I'm applying to ChemEng and I've done work experience in a hospital and a magistrates court. I just spoke about how they've helped me. Universities will take the students that have the skills required to study their subject and not the people that can say they have it. You can learn these skills such as team work and communication from a variety of different experiences such a playing in a sports team or working with ushers in a court like me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest