The Student Room Group

Books to start learning Computer science/Programming?

Thought I might as well get some background knowledge before I take Computer Science and computer engineering in grade 11 next year. Are there any must have books for the complete beginner? I would just like to be able to get familiar with programming languages and stuff like that.
Reply 1
Excuse my ignorance, but what sort of level is grade 11?
Reply 2
Original post by iisjman07
Excuse my ignorance, but what sort of level is grade 11?

Well, in Canada, grade 11 is for students aged 16-17 years old.
Reply 3
Okay it's a bit of a broad subject but you mentioned programming so we'll start there. Do you know what language you'll be learning? At my university they teach Java (which seems pretty much the standard) and the recommended book is a Lewis & Loftus book called 'Java Software Solutions'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Okay it's a bit of a broad subject but you mentioned programming so we'll start there. Do you know what language you'll be learning? At my university they teach Java (which seems pretty much the standard) and the recommended book is a Lewis & Loftus book called 'Java Software Solutions'

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no idea which language we'll be using. The course description says, "Students will design software independently and as part of a team, using industry standard programming tools and applying the software development life cycle model. Also, if I want to go into computer science in University, do I really need to be taking a computer engineering course in high school?
Reply 5
Original post by tynanv
I have no idea which language we'll be using. The course description says, "Students will design software independently and as part of a team, using industry standard programming tools and applying the software development life cycle model. Also, if I want to go into computer science in University, do I really need to be taking a computer engineering course in high school?

I think you'll probably learn Java, maybe C, but it's worth checking if you've got anyone you can email. You don't need to take computer engineering to study compsci at university. It would help (after all it is relevant) but isn't necessary; the university applications will probably ask for grade whatever in a scientific or mathematical discipline - basically they want things like IT based subjects, Maths, relevant sciences, but less English and vocational subjects. It's a good idea to do the course; it'll give you good experience, gives you things to talk about when applying for university, and should give you a leg up on your classmates
Reply 6
I think you'll probably learn Java, maybe C, but it's worth checking if you've got anyone you can email. You don't need to take computer engineering to study compsci at university. It would help (after all it is relevant) but isn't necessary; the university applications will probably ask for grade whatever in a scientific or mathematical discipline - basically they want things like IT based subjects, Maths, relevant sciences, but less English and vocational subjects. It's a good idea to do the course; it'll give you good experience, gives you things to talk about when applying for university, and should give you a leg up on your classmates

Okay, thanks for the help! I'll try and find a beginners book to Java programming to get me started in the right direction.
If you don't want to buy a whole book, there are many online places to learn from.

I didn't learn from this, but it looks quite good:

http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/java/java.html
Reply 8
Original post by tynanv
Thought I might as well get some background knowledge before I take Computer Science and computer engineering in grade 11 next year. Are there any must have books for the complete beginner? I would just like to be able to get familiar with programming languages and stuff like that.

I think the attachment worked but it's an introductory course in C programming that my uni uses for first year physics, it has some excercises you can do. You can get various IDEs/compilers for free but I would recommend Codeblocks unless anyone knows a better one.
Reply 9
Books to start learning Computer science/Programming?

Must be some clever books...
Reply 10
I advise you to take a hard problem and try to solve it. Along the way, you will learn a lot about computation and problem solving. I know this because my friend is a software developer who said that the only thing that helps to achieving proficiency is hard problem and motivation to come and come again near PC until it's solved.

I advise starting from say Python and try to break Project Euler problems.
Reply 11
If your learning java most universities in England teach off this book.. as it gives you what you need in terms of examples on a CD as well as detailed explanation to get you really involved and ready to go.
Object Oriented Programming

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending