The Student Room Group

Reptiles and inverts.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rybee
I want a diplodocus.

Then you must back to the past before dinosaurs died out. :smile: I would like to have a tyrannosaurus rex, but I guess it would be better to keep a plant eater, otherwise I could be eaten by a dinosaur.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto
Is it a komodo dragon? these reptiles are the biggest ones which I know. I have heard that they are even attack humans, if they are very hungry.

I love those things they'd eat a cement mixer given half the chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jonathanemptage
I love those things theye'd eat a cement mixer goven half the chamce

Komodo Dragons are more dangerous than I thought first. Their teeth are toxic enough to kill a human, if the cure will not given in time.
Original post by Kallisto
Komodo Dragons are more dangerous than I thought first. Their teeth are toxic enough to kill a human, if the cure will not given in time.

I still like them they seem like small dinosaurs to me
Original post by jonathanemptage
I still like them they seem like small dinosaurs to me

Same here. But in fact Komodo Dragons don't descended from dinosaurs, they descended from Megalania, a reptile. But this one should been more brutal by far compared to a Komodo Dragon. Magalania could be bigger than a bus in the lifetime.
Hi anyone on here willing to take on a day gecko with all set up and food and equipment included.?
Just posted on this section so look in there for more info but its a bargain for what you get.
Really just want him to go to a good home that is the main thing.
Thank you :smile:
P.S also before I had to move away I had 2 Cresties, 3 leo geckos, 2 american green tree frogs, 4 alpine newts, 5 peacock day geckos, 2 gold dust day geckos and many many tropical fish. Now the gold dust is the last one to go. :frown:
Reply 26
Took Dexter out in the garden the other day whilst it was hot and sunny.

He's so cute! Are you the same Rybee as on RFUK?
Some nice little pets in here! Any more pics of reptiles that peeps own?
Reply 29
Original post by Rybee
I want a diplodocus.

You could have had a skeleton of one if you had £400,000 to spare!
Reply 30
I used to own a jungle carpet python and a royal python, will have to try and did out some pics!
Reply 31
Just took some new pictures of Mini and Jenkins during feeding. This seems like a good enough place to flourish them. ;D As you can tell, Mini loves the camera.

DSC_3693.jpg

DSC_3683.jpg

DSC_3685.jpg

DSC_3704.jpg

And Buffy the g.rosea -

buff31.jpg
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by awe
Just took some new pictures of Mini and Jenkins during feeding. This seems like a good enough place to flourish them. ;D

DSC_3693.jpgDSC_3693.jpg
DSC_3685.jpgDSC_3704.jpg

And Buffy-

buff31.jpg

Awesomes!!!! U keep tarantulas too? Guessing that's a female Chilean rose, Grammostola rosea.
Reply 33
Original post by Sphodromantis
Awesomes!!!! U keep tarantulas too? Guessing that's a Chilean rose, Grammostola rosea.

Thanks! Just the one, she's my first and a bit new. Yes, sorry - she's a g. rosea. :biggrin: Enjoying her a lot already, although have just rehomed her into a permanent setup and am fretting about the humidity quite a bit. >.< Nervous new mum.
Original post by awe
Thanks! Just the one, she's my first and a bit new. Yes, sorry - she's a g. rosea. :biggrin: Enjoying her a lot already, although have just rehomed her into a permanent setup and am fretting about the humidity quite a bit. >.< Nervous new mum.

Ahh their like Pringles, you'll want more!!! Lol
Don't worry I can help!
Can u post a pic of the setup? Tell me your weekly routine? When you feed, spray, water, and temp! Just want to know so I have so idea of what to work with! These are a hardy species, so you don't have to worry about humidity! Ohh you'll be fine, ive got six now! Three nasty ****ers! Lol. :biggrin:
Reply 35
Ahh their like Pringles, you'll want more!!! Lol
Don't worry I can help!
Can u post a pic of the setup? Tell me your weekly routine? When you feed, spray, water, and temp! Just want to know so I have so idea of what to work with! These are a hardy species, so you don't have to worry about humidity! Ohh you'll be fine, ive got six now! Three nasty ****ers! Lol. :biggrin:

Haha I know! My partner is a pretty experienced reptile/invert keeper and got me into the hobby/addiction.
I can't at the moment simply because I only have my phone on me. He has approved it, but is a bit sceptical of the humidity too. I use coco fiber bricks for substrate (which I'm/he's happy with) but it definitely could do with baking, I think, however I just am so stuck for the time right now and don't want to ruin the webbing she's made over the last few days. She didn't web much in the previous temp box home so I love seeing it on the hide and foliage now!
It contains just about 2.5inches of substrate, two foliage pieces, and a bark hide. It's slightly cold but not awfully so, and should get better as I'm going to start putting her by the cranked radiator rather than on a high shelf in Lancaster's December. P: I had a small sippy dish in the temp home but haven't added it yet here because the substrate is just too wet for me to want to add more moisture to the home. She's only about 9 months old and I don't think she's missing the drink just yet. She ate well once when I first got her, but refused the next three weeks, though shows no other sign of wanting to moult. I'll try with another couple of crickets next week.
I don't think she's unhealthy. She has been a bit of an active climber since I got her, which I think is both because of the slightly too damp substrate and just because she's a little cheeky. But I am very aware of the 70~% humidity reading and it does worry me (and especially my boyfriend). =/
Original post by awe
Haha I know! My partner is a pretty experienced reptile/invert keeper and got me into the hobby/addiction.
I can't at the moment simply because I only have my phone on me. He has approved it, but is a bit sceptical of the humidity too. I use coco fiber bricks for substrate (which I'm/he's happy with) but it definitely could do with baking, I think, however I just am so stuck for the time right now and don't want to ruin the webbing she's made over the last few days. She didn't web much in the previous temp box home so I love seeing it on the hide and foliage now!
It contains just about 2.5inches of substrate, two foliage pieces, and a bark hide. It's slightly cold but not awfully so, and should get better as I'm going to start putting her by the cranked radiator rather than on a high shelf in Lancaster's December. P: I had a small sippy dish in the temp home but haven't added it yet here because the substrate is just too wet for me to want to add more moisture to the home. She's only about 9 months old and I don't think she's missing the drink just yet. She ate well once when I first got her, but refused the next three weeks, though shows no other sign of wanting to moult. I'll try with another couple of crickets next week.
I don't think she's unhealthy. She has been a bit of an active climber since I got her, which I think is both because of the slightly too damp substrate and just because she's a little cheeky. But I am very aware of the 70~% humidity reading and it does worry me (and especially my boyfriend). =/

That's ok! I don't think the substrate will need baking, if its from a brick it should be fine. You can add vermiculite which helps to.
All sounds good to be honest, just a couple of things, you say shes an active climber and the substrate is wet/damp. Well Chile's are terrestrials so they shouldn't molt and this is because your substrate is too damp, well they hate damp substrate so they will climb to avoid it, I would let the substrate dry out completely and only put water in the dish and maybe one corner. They will mainly get their water from the food so don't worry to much. And food, don't worry if she goes on a food strike, Chile's are known for this, only food a tarantula once a week, no more or the tarantula will get fat and become very delicate.
Yeah humid does seem high, again let the substrate dry out a bit more, maybe take the lid off for a bit a few times a day to help reduce it. The humid should be about 50% to 65%, but other than that. The setup seems really fine though, she should be ok.
Reply 37
That's ok! I don't think the substrate will need baking, if its from a brick it should be fine. You can add vermiculite which helps to.
All sounds good to be honest, just a couple of things, you say shes an active climber and the substrate is wet/damp. Well Chile's are terrestrials so they shouldn't molt and this is because your substrate is too damp, well they hate damp substrate so they will climb to avoid it, I would let the substrate dry out completely and only put water in the dish and maybe one corner. They will mainly get their water from the food so don't worry to much. And food, don't worry if she goes on a food strike, Chile's are known for this, only food a tarantula once a week, no more or the tarantula will get fat and become very delicate.
Yeah humid does seem high, again let the substrate dry out a bit more, maybe take the lid off for a bit a few times a day to help reduce it. The humid should be about 50% to 65%, but other than that. The setup seems really fine though, she should be ok.

Yeah, I'm not toooo (ooo) worried about the food at this point. I know she is hardy enough and to feed her just once a week so that's mostly fine. I definitely believe she's climbing more because of the dampness; you say don't bake, but that I need to let the substrate dry out - I'm not wetting it at all, so isn't the only way to dry it adequately is to bake it? I'm happy to try just leaving it and hoping, but am also happy to bake if it sorts it 'once and for all' and lets her settle in quicker.
Why do you say she shouldn't molt? P: It's my understanding/every source's opinion that she should and perhaps even should have done so already, so please explain your meaning as I must be misunderstanding!
Thank you for the help. :smile: It's a good vented lid, so I think a few nights by the radiator, and then another little check on her, should be good. After that I'll think about changing something.

Edit - a bad phone photo for proof of the crazy girl's antics haha. Normally she climbs on things like the hide/foliage, not just the actual walls.
b.png
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by awe
Yeah, I'm not toooo (ooo) worried about the food at this point. I know she is hardy enough and to feed her just once a week so that's mostly fine. I definitely believe she's climbing more because of the dampness; you say don't bake, but that I need to let the substrate dry out - I'm not wetting it at all, so isn't the only way to dry it adequately is to bake it? I'm happy to try just leaving it and hoping, but am also happy to bake if it sorts it 'once and for all' and lets her settle in quicker.
Why do you say she shouldn't molt? P: It's my understanding/every source's opinion that she should and perhaps even should have done so already, so please explain your meaning as I must be misunderstanding!
Thank you for the help. :smile: It's a good vented lid, so I think a few nights by the radiator, and then another little check on her, should be good. After that I'll think about changing something.

Ohh my bad!!! I thought u meant bake the substrate to remove bacteria, lol opps, yes u could bake it, that would help a lot.
Can't remember if I said that, confuse, she may molt but roses are known for going on long hunger strike before you see the signs of an upcoming molt. You'll know when she is truly ready because she will start to kick off her hairs leaving a bald spot, the abdomen skin will become grey from a skin tone colour, and she may even barricade herself in her hut. She will eventually molt, but not just yet.
That's ok, I didnt make it clear enough. Lol so if you can, put her in a temp home and bake the substrate, then let it cool and you can put it back in and set the home up again!
Reply 39
Ohh my bad!!! I thought u meant bake the substrate to remove bacteria, lol opps, yes u could bake it, that would help a lot.
Can't remember if I said that, confuse, she may molt but roses are known for going on long hunger strike before you see the signs of an upcoming molt. You'll know when she is truly ready because she will start to kick off her hairs leaving a bald spot, the abdomen skin will become grey from a skin tone colour, and she may even barricade herself in her hut. She will eventually molt, but not just yet.
That's ok, I didnt make it clear enough. Lol so if you can, put her in a temp home and bake the substrate, then let it cool and you can put it back in and set the home up again!

Haha okay, cheers, no worries about the confusion we got there in the end. Tomorrow I'll try and put an hour aside to sort the home out. Do you think she'll mind too much that I'll be ruining her webbing? P: I'll feel a bit mean taking down her hard work, although there's not too much it's still the most I've seen from her!
Also I edited and added a little bad photo in the last post just now. (:

Quick Reply

Latest