The Student Room Group

Qualities of someone taking computer science

I am taking my AS levels currently but have been looking at universities etc. I first considered mathematics as my subjects include mathematics and further mathematics at AS and I really enjoy it as a subject but I have started to consider a degree in computer science.

My question to you is what qualities and qualifications (whether formal or informal) would be expected/wanted from a student planning on taking computer science at a top university?

As a following question, would there be anything that people who have got a offer from a top university would say about the extras that perhaps led to their offer? e.g. wrote a computer program to do something

Thanks in advance

Tindam188
Reply 1
Do you have any experience in programming?

I'm in the same position you are and have been trying to find a way to start coding. I'm also trying to find suitable work experience - which companies do you think I should approach?
Reply 2
I have experience in java (self taught) and visual basic (computing at college), but I would always advise against visual basic as you can gain bad working practice. It is good to try to teach it to yourself as it can look good on a personal statement.

As for work experience I wish I knew. Where I live there are few computer related businesses to start with and most of those would not be appropriate anyway.

If anyone can give any information I would be grateful.

Tindam188
Reply 3
The best thing to do is probably to try and teach yourself some Java which is taught by basically all Unis which offer Computing in 1st year.
Reply 4
MAths is essential for a top university when doing CS FM helps but that is a lot harder than normal math
Original post by tindam188
As a following question, would there be anything that people who have got a offer from a top university would say about the extras that perhaps led to their offer? e.g. wrote a computer program to do something

My main advise is make your personal statement really good and targeted. The most important thing to get across in your personal statement and interviews is an interest in computer science and computers.

Show that you've researched the subject and talk about your enthusiasm for the subject. Why do you want to do CS? What has made you interested in it now? You need to show evidence of this enthusiasm though. When you make a point you need to have a knock out example.

e.g.:

- I like the creative side of computers -> I made an app
- I like the problem solving side -> ____
- I like they way it can fit into any situation -> _____

I think they will expect you to have tried programming in your spare time. If you can make an app (Android is better for beginners) that is well received by others then that will be very impressive to them considering you're not from a programming hobbyist background. A PHP website will be an easier place to start if you find app development too difficult. If you want advise on either of these then PM me.

Other ways you can show interest is fixing computers, helping out in internet cafés, reading up on lots of programming languages and programming paradigms/theory.

Also, know who famous computer scientists are like Alan Turing, Bjarne Stroustrup, Linus Torvalds, Dennis Ritchie, Steve Jobs (somewhat, he's more of a marketeer, but he knew the computing industry well) etc. Don't talk about that in your personal statement as you won't have room, and you may not even want to talk about it in your interview. But you might find the right moment to namedrop, and if it's not too out of place in the conversation I'm sure they'll be impressed. However, if there is a public figure who has inspired you to do computer science then that's a great thing to talk about in your interview as you can expect the first question to be 'why do you want to take computer science?'.

Also know something about famous programming languages: C, C++, Java, Ruby, Python. e.g. know why people use them. It's ok to be honest and say 'I don't know much about it, but I've heard it's good for this'. It doesn't make you sound ignorant, but it makes you sound interested.

So yeah, the takeaway points are:

Show interest in the subject. Prove your interest with some app/web development experience and possibly other activities like volunteering in internet cafes or going to a computing club at college (or starting one if there isn't one already, that would be mighty impressive.)

Also keep doing maths. You won't get into a top university without it. And your chances are greatly improved if you keep doing further maths.

Hope this helps you, or anyone else reading and hoping to apply for a CS course.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by EarthlingM
Do you have any experience in programming?

I'm in the same position you are and have been trying to find a way to start coding. I'm also trying to find suitable work experience - which companies do you think I should approach?

The best thing to do when you want to start programming is to have an end goal. Everyone I know pretty much who taught themselves programming did it with an end goal in mind. Make it a fairly ambitious goal, but one that you think is achievable.

You could program your own blogging software, or a social network, or even a game. Another great thing to do is make an app. Android is probably the easiest to start with.

Web development is much easier to dive straight into though. PHP is how I started and it's a great place to begin. If you want advise on how to get into programming and how to get your own web server to program on you can PM me. It's great to see girls getting into programming, the industry really needs them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending