The Student Room Group

What is the most annoying things other road users do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by silverbolt
Just because they are indicating to go in a direction - does not mean they will turn in that direction, they could have their indicator on by accident or change their mind.

If you pull out going by their signal they could hit you and you would be at fault as you pulled out on them.

If there is enough room/time to safely pull out then do so but dont take a signal as a garuntee.

No, if they indicate to leave a roundabout at the next exit and then don't and you crash, then it is surely their fault for indicating with no intention of leaving at that exit. :confused:
Reply 101
Original post by NickyJWatkinson
No, if they indicate to leave a roundabout at the next exit and then don't and you crash, then it is surely their fault for indicating with no intention of leaving at that exit. :confused:

I agree with this, the whole point of indicating at a roundabout is of course to tell others where you're going and to let them know whether its safe to go or not, you can't just say you're going one way and change your mind at the very last second, that's highly irresponsible, inconsiderate of other road users and dangerous, but of course many couldn't care less about other road users and I've seen the odd one who are in the wrong lane and instead of doing the correct and safe thing and staying in their lane and just accepting their mistake unless its clear to change to the correct lane, they have to suddenly dart into the lane they're supposed to be in regardless of traffic and very nearly cause an accident, just makes me angry that such ****s are allowed on the road:angry:
one idiot annoyed me today, theres some temporary traffic lights near my house. I came and it was turning to red so slowed down and stopped. he came a few seconds later, waiting behind me for a couple of seconds then just went through the red. Like excuse me? Just annoyed me because there i was following the rules, paying close to £4000 to be on the road and theres him probably paying next to nothing who think they own it.
Original post by Olie
I agree with this, the whole point of indicating at a roundabout is of course to tell others where you're going and to let them know whether its safe to go or not, you can't just say you're going one way and change your mind at the very last second, that's highly irresponsible, inconsiderate of other road users and dangerous, but of course many couldn't care less about other road users and I've seen the odd one who are in the wrong lane and instead of doing the correct and safe thing and staying in their lane and just accepting their mistake unless its clear to change to the correct lane, they have to suddenly dart into the lane they're supposed to be in regardless of traffic and very nearly cause an accident, just makes me angry that such ****s are allowed on the road:angry:

And how do you prove it?

With insurance - it all comes down to what you can prove. The black and white of it is you pulled out on someone who was established on the roundabout.

Two things

1. you cant prove they were indicated
2. you should have waited and seen what was going to happen before presuming it was ok to go.

It sucks yes i agree - but thats the way of it.
Original post by silverbolt
And how do you prove it?

With insurance - it all comes down to what you can prove. The black and white of it is you pulled out on someone who was established on the roundabout.

Two things

1. you cant prove they were indicated
2. you should have waited and seen what was going to happen before presuming it was ok to go.

It sucks yes i agree - but thats the way of it.

I agree you can't necessarily prove that they indicated, but it's not being presumptuous to see someone indicate to leave a roundabout and expect them to do so. And why would they indicate anyway if they weren't taking that exit?
I agree you can't necessarily prove that they indicated, but it's not being presumptuous to see someone indicate to leave a roundabout and expect them to do so. And why would they indicate anyway if they weren't taking that exit?

They might intend to and then change thier mind and not do it, or they might have it on by accident and not realise.

And your insurance will have you at fault if they go into your car as you pull out into thier path.

Never presume. Best bet wait another second for them to go and commit to their route before you make yours
Reply 106
Lack of indicating on roundabouts is so annoying_

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 107
Many things. Here are a few:

1. Driving without insurance.
2. Driving using handheld moblie phones.
3. When one lane is stop start and people drive down the other and try cutting in at the last minute and then get wound up when I don't let them in.
4. People who sit in overtaking lanes and then moan indignantly when they get undertaken (I don't condemn weaving, but an undertake when necessary is understandable).
5. People who have a uniform driving speed of 40mph, wherever they drive.
6. Last week on the M40 a Golf GT came flying up behind me (I was overtaking in lane 2 at the time). Car overtook me, pulled in front of me then slowed down, I moved out to overtake her and she sped up, so I moved back in. Again she repeated the process in order to try and get me to race her. In the end she got bored and sped off!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 108
Original post by jamesd94

3. When one lane is stop start and people drive down the other and try cutting in at the last minute and then get wound up when I don't let them in.
4. People who sit in overtaking lanes and then moan indignantly when they get undertaken (I don't condemn weaving, but an undertake when necessary is understandable).
6. Last week on the M40 a Golf GT came flying up behind me (I was overtaking in lane 2 at the time). Car overtook me, pulled in front of me then slowed down, I moved out to overtake her and she sped up, so I moved back in. Again she repeated the process in order to try and get me to race her. In the end she got bored and sped off!

Posted from TSR Mobile

she probably fancied you mate
Reply 109
Original post by jamesd94

Posted from TSR Mobile

1Yea, that really bugs me but doesn't really affect me in day to day driving...
2. This annoys the hell out me.
Also, people who try doing other stuff like eating etc whilst driving and think they're in control of the car.
3. Tbh , i don't care about this since it's normally better to use both lanes until the merge point as often people will merge instantly when they see the 400 yard until marge sign and it just causes Tailbacks...
4. I agree they're annoying but i still wouldn't undertake them.
5. Yea, that's annoying as it's slow in 60 zones and then dangerous near schools etc...
6. Some people are just idiots and she sounds like one...
Reply 110
I voted for Tailgating, it pisses me right off considering that I am still a learner and make an effort to maintain a good stopping distance from the vehicle ahead, yet experienced drivers couldn't give a ****
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 111
Original post by A Cat
she probably fancied you mate

Oh dear I hope not!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elwyn
Driving around with their front foggies on in fine weather. You don't look smart or cool. You just look like an inconsiderate ****!

If its a newer vehicle, the lights come on as standard. New vehicles are fitted with Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) as standard for improved visibility in the daytime and is a legal requirement. Once the ignition is switched on and the car detects your driving in daylight the lights come on automatically.

I think it's become more popular since Audi introduced their LED DRLs which do look good and the best IMO. I think other drivers who don't have DRLs fitted on their cars and turn on their fog lights to show off look pretty stupid.
Reply 113
- Indicating at the very last minute
- Tailgating
- Going very slow
- Hesitating at roundabouts

Lastly, I know this is not a road user but people running out onto the road without looking! Scares the sh*t out of me.
Reply 114
Original post by Hustler-1337
If its a newer vehicle, the lights come on as standard. New vehicles are fitted with Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) as standard for improved visibility in the daytime and is a legal requirement. Once the ignition is switched on and the car detects your driving in daylight the lights come on automatically.

I think it's become more popular since Audi introduced their LED DRLs which do look good and the best IMO. I think other drivers who don't have DRLs fitted on their cars and turn on their fog lights to show off look pretty stupid.

Yeah I know what DRLs are... I was referring to jumped up teenagers crusing round in their Fiestas and C2s blinding every other road user with their fogs and stupid looking HID kits.
Original post by MORPHEUS24-7
Cyclists who think riding in the middle of the road at 5 mph is OK. Oh and NOT STOPPING AT RED LIGHTS!

Red light jumping is a major bug bear of mine too. Trust me when I say this - if you think you dislike it, try being a cyclist seeing other cyclists do it. It just looks bad on those who don't do it, like me.

Original post by myblueheaven339
Another cyclist related one I'm afraid. I hate it when two cyclists are riding side by side chatting away and are completely oblivious to the queue behind them. I'm all for cycling but people need to be much more aware of their surroundings.

Riding two-abreast isn't illegal. If they're side by side on a dual carriageway then it's not an issue - there are two lanes but I admit as driver I HATE sheer ignorance like that.

Original post by sarah_22_16

4 cyclists that venture too far out into the road

Sometimes cyclists do it to stop close overtakes which could be dangerous. It's not to irritate drivers, it's to stop the few who don't see a human being on a bike but see an obstruction. Trust me - having a car or a truck overtake you 2-3 feet away at speed is terrifying. Think about it next time before you criticize.

Original post by razza1333
Cyclists using the road when they have there own path or section of road, I can near enough understand it if they have road bikes but when they do it with mountain bikes, why?

Don't have to legally use them :wink: but I agree. If you ride slowly on a heavy bike the road is probably not the best place to be for your own safety.

Original post by Motorbiker

This annoys the HELL out of me. I am a cyclist and will always use the cycle path and then tohers will go on the road instead even though the cycle path took months of traffic congestion and road works to be built ffs...

Shared use paths are always full of broken glass and pedestrians on the wrong side of the line. Not always the best place to be either. The road is just less hassle.

Original post by Yawn11
Bastard cyclists who think it's cool to be in the middle of the road during RUSH HOUR.
In fact, cyclist that put you in that awkward position where you have to overtake quickly, and try to avoid colliding with an oncoming car.

Nothing wrong with being in the middle of the road. It's safer and if they're keeping up with traffic then there's no issue. Aside from that, cyclists ARE traffic.

Of course, cyclists and other slow traffic FORCES you to speed to overtake and nearly knock them off. :rolleyes:

Next time, hang back and consider the guy or girl on the bike might have children, be newly married, or be a child of somebody else. They are not an obstacle, it's a human being. Chill out and be patient. If you see a car coming in the other lane, don't overtake because "OMG a cyclist it hurts my man-ego to be stuck behind such a slow object". How would you like it if you were walking or cycling on a road and some impatient **** sped past you a foot from your elbow?

My pet peeve is non-indicating on roundabouts and drivers who abuse vulnerable road users. You're all tossers.
I don't drive, but the amount of times I've nearly been taken out by some car not indicating and coming around a blind corner too fast is unbelievable. It is very aggravating, to say the least.
Original post by sabian92
Riding two-abreast isn't illegal. If they're side by side on a dual carriageway then it's not an issue - there are two lanes but I admit as driver I HATE sheer ignorance like that.

I'm not talking about dual carriageways. I'm talking about narrow, bendy country lanes. I see no reason why they can't go single file when there's a car, then move out again when the car has gone past.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 119
So many things.
When the traffic light turns green, and they are still standing, because talking to someone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending