The Student Room Group

Practice educator failed placement at last minute?

A friend of mine in my course (we are third year BA social work students) just had her final placement failed by the practice educator. I don't have all the details, admittedly, but I was hoping for some advice.

It came across from the outset that the practice educator did not like her student (my friend) - we'll call her Sam, and the practice educator Jane.

At the midway review, Sam was told by Jane that she was on course to fail. Her reasons were along the lines of the fact that Sam didn't appear to be 'getting under the skin of the team' - I'm not sure what that means. Sam got quite upset and our academic tutor stuck up for her to an extent.

The very next day, first thing in the morning, Jane approached Sam and told her that she felt Sam's attitude was much improved and she was really pleased. This felt odd to everyone, most of all Sam, as like I said it was the next day and no one could see how Jane had had the opportunity to assess that.

Throughout the second half of the placement, Jane was encouraging and positive. Then, on the penultimate day, at final supervision, she broke the news that she would be failing Sam. Entirely out of the blue - since the midway review (in December) she had been nothing but positive. Her reasons included she "had a hunch" about passing her and felt she had to "follow her heart".

Sam can appeal but academic tutor said he has very rarely seen this decision overturned at panel. She will not graduate with us in July and may have to do another placement.

My questions are this - can a practice educator fail at the last minute in this way, thus giving the student no opportunity to change?? It doesn't seem fair.
Secondly, surely real reasons are needed, not a hunch or following your heart. Did the student fail to evidence key roles? Did she make any huge professionals errors? Was a complaint made against her? As these things haven't happened, can a practice educator fail based on her gut, and again at the last minute? I could understand a last minute decision is something happened, but nothing did.

I can't believe Sam was that bad - she works as a support worker at the moment and they are CREATING a qualified post for her so she will stay with them when she has qualified...

Any advice? Suggestions for appeal? Precedents?

NAMES WERE CHANGED
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would think your friend needs to appeal - and quickly!
Reply 2
I was at a voluntary placement for my social work degree for 70 days
Up until midway everything was ok & I passed but since then there has been a total change of attitude by try staff at placement Infact I even felt intimidated
Today the manager my tutor & practice educator decided they would fail me terminate the placement because tutor felt there was no trust between the manager .& myself
Iv just come home & feeling heartbroken totally devastated
I spent every penny I had & sacrificed everything including family
Tutor said it Wud go to panel to see if cud be placed at another placement or it cud Be that they cud end my dream of social work altogether
I'm so upset & shaking with fear as I dnt know what to do?

Pls anyone pls help me or advise me I will be extremely grateful

Many Kind thanks!
Reply 3
Hi Guys , please please appeal and write and complain. I am currently in a dispute with my university (salford) and am certain that I will be taking them to court. Social work students get bullied and treated like crap, and no one challenges this. The truth is more heads are better than one and if we find a way to come together and challenge this then I truky believe justice will prevail. The journey is long though and this fight has taken nearly 3 years of my life, but has also given me time to see just how many student are oppressed, and dont fight back. I tried to encourage so many of my peers to complain with me, and they did not, and to this day regret it. Thank you for your time
Reply 4
Hi Jadey. I am in a near identical situation with the same university. I'm guessing that's not altogether a coincidence given my experiences with the department...
Reply 5
My practice educator made horrible allegations about me but I was cleared and allowed to do another placement which I passed with flying colours. How do I complain about the lies my practice educator and her friend told about me?
Reply 6
Hi, my placement educator also going to fail me. Can I have advice from people who failed their final placement. We have to attend other 100 days and complete all modules again? This is so unfair, last minute -fail, left me for nearly month and when came back told me she decided to fail me because my english is not good, my analysis is not good enough and I will benefit from attending another placement.
Reply 7
Original post by Bash786
I was at a voluntary placement for my social work degree for 70 days
Up until midway everything was ok & I passed but since then there has been a total change of attitude by try staff at placement Infact I even felt intimidated
Today the manager my tutor & practice educator decided they would fail me terminate the placement because tutor felt there was no trust between the manager .& myself
Iv just come home & feeling heartbroken totally devastated
I spent every penny I had & sacrificed everything including family
Tutor said it Wud go to panel to see if cud be placed at another placement or it cud Be that they cud end my dream of social work altogether
I'm so upset & shaking with fear as I dnt know what to do?

Pls anyone pls help me or advise me I will be extremely grateful

Many Kind thanks!

Hi how are you, may I ask what they decided on panel? I have been failed in last minute too....
Reply 8
I am in the same situation , I failed my third year workbook but not my placement , I would like some advice on how to challenge this
Reply 9
Hi guys, sorry to hear that you failed placement, I can empathise as I recently failed my final placement and was so heartbroken. The reasons given where that I couldn't apply theory to practice (supervision was a 2 hour grilling per week) and i was late a few times for contacts, as I was driving really far and couldn't find places, so to me there was no major issues!! I had such a bad relationship with my PT, I had to speak to him to let him know he intimidates me! I felt I had no support at all and believe the relationship with your PT can make or break your placement!! Its unfair that as students we are powerless to the decisions made by a PT. I repeat a placement again in Jan, good luck to anyone else that has to do the same!! X
Reply 10
Please can I have as much advice as possible. I have just been failed at last minute on placement and the PE and placement staff member said it was because they dont believe i am well enough as in previous months I was diagnosed with anxiety. I have been made to feel that my anxiety is a major issue and that I need to question my ability to continue with the course. I am also at Salford
Reply 11
Action is needed on this and I would like as the other blogger said we need to come together. I am a final year student and was stopped at day 70 because I had raised a concern regarding my PE's racist remarks. It was awful. If we are all in agreement lets come together and do the Audre Lorde “For the master’s tools will never dismantle the master’s house" Lets create a whatsapp group or facebook or meet at Uni (Salford I suppose). Lets at least clear the way for the other groups coming after us. It is messy and ugly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi I am in desperate need of some advice.

I have been bullied by my PE so bad that i have been forced to walk away from my placement. My PE was still in the training stage herself and I was her first student. After the intial induction weeks, things started to go wrong, there was limited learning opportunities, she did not seem to know how to give directive and it felt like she had no clue what she was doing. Without going into the whole chain of events, it ended with her taking the concerns i raised personally, rather then working together to fix them, and started a nasty attack on myself, I was bullied on a daily basis, and had to endure her documenting completly un-true events about myself. My university has done nothing to protect me, or even investigated the issues I was raising. I have now had to walk out as the whole experience was distroying me. These situations cant keep happening, its so unfair. Practice Educators should not have the power they have over a students life. Social Work is supposed to be about standing up for vulnerable people and promoting equality, but it seems that our univerisities dont seem to think that applies to its students. Any advice would be appriciated.
Reply 13
What qualification would you get if you complete the academic side of your degree but don't complete your final placement?
Hi
I was in an identical situation to yours and my university did not provide any support when I raised a complaint about the placement. To cut a long story short, I set about proving my innocence by reporting the PE and the work place supervisor to the HCPC. However, this did not result in them being removed from the register, but instead it did provide some useful information that I could use in relation to taking legal actions. Then I made a subject access request from the university and the agency. This information can prove useful as you can contrast what you was told against what was written about you. You then need to check the policy for placement and see whether the university or placement have adhered to its own rule. In most cases you will find out that they have not followed their own guidelines. Next you go through all your paperwork and look for any discrepancies in the information and match it up to the policy. If you are struggling with any part of this, you can appoint a solicitor. The area of law that you would need to take your case under is the Law of Tort. That area of law looks at duty of care and if you do have enough evidence for your case to succeed in Tort, you will then be awarded compensation. Unfortunately, I do not know whether you would be able to return to the university and re-do another placement. That would be a decision for the judge to make.
Hi
I am astounded at how common this situation is in social work. I have just been removed from my final placement with 35 days left to go, on the grounds I had confided in another member of the team about how unhappy I was and how I was being treated and spoken like xxxx by my supervisor. I had on offsite PE who took her side. I have now been told I have to re do my 100 days again! There were no issues highlighted at my midway - how they get away with this?

I am so upset I have worked so hard and put up with a really poor placement to be removed without any valid reason.

Can I be made to start again? Also how can I find this? Student finance last payment is May and I have been told I would have to restart after may!

Can anyone help?

Thank you
Original post by Caroline5868
Hi
I am astounded at how common this situation is in social work. I have just been removed from my final placement with 35 days left to go, on the grounds I had confided in another member of the team about how unhappy I was and how I was being treated and spoken like xxxx by my supervisor. I had on offsite PE who took her side. I have now been told I have to re do my 100 days again! There were no issues highlighted at my midway - how they get away with this?

I am so upset I have worked so hard and put up with a really poor placement to be removed without any valid reason.

Can I be made to start again? Also how can I find this? Student finance last payment is May and I have been told I would have to restart after may!

Can anyone help?

Thank you

Dear Caroline
I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience you had on your placement. With regards to redoing your placement over again, unfortunately, that is a must or else the university will not let you graduate without passing your placement.

Turning to the point you raised about your PE and onsite supervisor, I would suggest you raising a concern about them through HCPC and with your local. MP. It is sad, but this type of behaviour displayed by power hungry people seems to be trend. It is appalling that these people who represent the government should be allowed to continue to get away with such appalling behaviour. Something needs to be done,because people's lives are being ruin and no one seems to care.

I believe all those who has attended a social work programme at a university should all come together and write to Downing Street and complain about the way these placements are being delivered.
Reply 17
Hi all
I'm having a hard time too on placement. My PE has totally ruined my confidence in my own ability. Did not work with me throughout no positive comments just negative.
I dread supervision. My uni tutor pretty useless too. Only a few weeks left but often feel like giving up. 😭
Original post by kasnat
Hi all
I'm having a hard time too on placement. My PE has totally ruined my confidence in my own ability. Did not work with me throughout no positive comments just negative.
I dread supervision. My uni tutor pretty useless too. Only a few weeks left but often feel like giving up. 😭

Aww poor you i have had six weeks off waiting for a new placement and im due to start next week.
In hindsight i wish i had asked to be moved, try not to let it get you down. I appreciate its easier said than done. I thinks its appauling the way pe get away with it.
The finishing line is in sight 👍
Hi everyone

I have been failed three weeks ago by my practice educator on the 76th day out of 100.
I started off with a practice educator who had never had a student before, and she didn't seem confident in her role. She even said at my mid-way meeting "I was not equipped to be a practice educator." On the 45th day she went off sick for a month and I had to move to a new team at a new office. The new practice educator was much more experienced and seemed to like me for about a month, then on the 66th day she said she didn't see how I could pass, even if the placement was extended due to the amount of concerns about me. I had to keep attending the placement for ten days after that to wait until my concerns meeting was held and I was dismissed there. She gave me a list of concerns an hour before, some of which were about incidents she had lied about to stop herself from appearing accountable. my practice educator and team manager said they both think i am not capable of being a social worker in any area either adults of children (the placement was child protection).

Now I have to wait for a panel this month to decide if I can do another placement, and if I do get the chance it won't be until September a the earliest. I will also have to save about £4000 to afford to live whilst doing it. I know it's probably worth it in the long run but it's such an inconvenience to have to redo! I don't think they should have let me go on a placement that I had such little chance of passing, and the university and practice educator could have done a bit of looking into my background and level of skills to determine whether it would be suitable. My personal tutor said that my second year placement (the 70 day one) was "A bit limited" and that if I'd been somewhere different I would have been able to find out what my learning needs were earlier, basically sounds to me like he has admitted my second year placement was inadequate. That makes me wonder why he didn't bring that up last year and point out how it might compromise my future learning.

The whole final year placement experience has been terrible, I've spent three years and 27,000 on a course that's not got me a degree of a professional qualification. I can either resit or change course, which would probably mean another two years study. I have drafted a complaint to my uni to try and get some compensation of tuition fees, but i dont even know whether its worth complaining! the counsellor and carrers advisor have both told me they dont think I have a chance of getting money back.

I know from reading the above comments there are a few of us in the same boat, to be honest i wouldnt be too bothered if id found out in first or second year but to find out i am not deemed suitable for social work at the end of final year is terrible.

Latest

Trending

Trending