The Student Room Group

Language Society

Scroll to see replies

Oh that sounds so cool... afterwards: watching the WC, doing some preparations for the leaver's ball, actually starting to learn English/ French/ Spanish and maybe some cool short trips with my friends (but I'm already on overdraft :frown:)
Reply 381
kashiya
What are you doing afterwards?
To Egypt with a bunch of friends and the friends of friends... :biggrin:

wow how cool is that! i'd love to go alllllll over the world and see lots, i was talking to my dad's friend today and he's been effing everywhere!
Reply 382
Jammertal
Oh that sounds so cool... afterwards: watching the WC, doing some preparations for the leaver's ball, actually starting to learn English/ French/ Spanish and maybe some cool short trips with my friends (but I'm already on overdraft :frown:)

yeeeeeeeeeey you didnt say prom!! :biggrin: i get happy every time someone doesnt :p:
Mr. Jim
yeeeeeeeeeey you didnt say prom!! :biggrin: i get happy every time someone doesnt :p:

Hehe, prom = AE, leaver's ball =BE?!
Reply 384
yep :smile: i have to admit i get annoyed at english learners to learn american english...there was a thread in the international lounge forum about a guy who was worried about coming to uni here coz he didnt understand the british english accent! sorry to be a bit judgemental but it is -english- that people are learning...
Mr. Jim
yep :smile: i have to admit i get annoyed at english learners to learn american english...there was a thread in the international lounge forum about a guy who was worried about coming to uni here coz he didnt understand the british english accent! sorry to be a bit judgemental but it is -english- that people are learning...

Hmmm... sometimes I don't know myself if it was BE or AE. I think that we were taught BE most of the time, however our teachers didn't even correct it when we switched from BE to AE in the same exam.
Reply 386
Mr. Jim
wow how cool is that! i'd love to go alllllll over the world and see lots, i was talking to my dad's friend today and he's been effing everywhere!

Yeah, I'm also happy - I've never beet to Egypt, but from what I've heard it is rather a very European spot - there's little if none Egypt atmosphere. But I think it's better - in a typical Egyptian city I couldn't walk alone around the place - girls with light (? - I mean everything that is not dark - no dark hair etc.) carnation have a hard time there form what I've heard...
I'd like to travell all over the world :smile:

With this prom / leavers ball thing it is because such voc is not taught at school (at least not at mine) and therefore the ppl pick it up in movies and the majority of movies treating about prom/ leavers balls happen to be American, so we learn the word prom. I was taught British English at school, but I had no idea it was called leavers ball in BE!
kashiya
With this prom / leavers ball thing it is because such voc is not taught at school (at least not at mine) and therefore the ppl pick it up in movies and the majority of movies treating about prom/ leavers balls happen to be American, so we learn the word prom. I was taught British English at school, but I had no idea it was called leavers ball in BE!

True- now that you mention it: I haven't systematically learnt English voc since year 8. :eek:
Reply 388
hi guys,
greetings from Egypt :smile:
kashiya
hi guys,
greetings from Egypt :smile:

Er...Salaam?

Well, that's all my Arabic used up :wink:

Oh, wait, also Merhaba.
:hello:
Mr. Jim

lots of different types of english in this world now, just like with other languages :smile:
Probably more varied than languages like Swedish though.
Oh hello people! Well, as my name suggests, I think I probably belong here!

Here is hello in a few other languages:

नमस्ते (Namaste - Hindi)
નમસ્તે (Namaste - Gujarati)
مرحبا (Marhaban - Arabic)
שלום (Shalom - Hebrew)
Здраво (Zdravo - Serbian)

:wink:

Funny how none of them are in Roman script :biggrin:
Reply 394
Mr. Jim

I don't say prom, sounds too much like pram which is just odd. In my school it's the Leavers' Ball.
Yeeees, I suppose I should join this soc too, what with myself being a linguist et al. *goes to join*
Mr. Jim

Well, as a matter of fact, I think it is good that people learn the difference between AE and BE. There is such a thing as international English as well.
I study American Studies, so I am glad I KNOW the differences. Plus, it comes in quite handy when you live in different countries.
linguist786
Oh hello people! Well, as my name suggests, I think I probably belong here!

Here is hello in a few other languages:

नमस्ते (Namaste - Hindi)

Also Nepali. Which I believe is quite similar to Hindi, but I'm not sure. Also, is it just me, or is Gujarati script just Devanagari without the top bar?
Jammertal
Probably more varied than languages like Swedish though.

Well Norwegian is incredibly varied, dialectally, considering its small population. There's the division between Nynorsk and Bokmaal, obviously, but in addition to that there's all the local rural dialects, which are very different from each other again (generally closer to Nynorsk than Bokmaal, I think).
BovineBeast
Well Norwegian is incredibly varied, dialectally, considering its small population. There's the division between Nynorsk and Bokmaal, obviously, but in addition to that there's all the local rural dialects, which are very different from each other again (generally closer to Nynorsk than Bokmaal, I think).

Ok,... you can always learn something. :p:

Anyway, :hello: to all new members. Glad to see some new faces here. :smile:
BovineBeast
Also Nepali. Which I believe is quite similar to Hindi, but I'm not sure. Also, is it just me, or is Gujarati script just Devanagari without the top bar?
hehe yes, Nepali also uses the Devanagari script (nice to see you're doing it at uni! - do you know how to read/write it?)

It's funny you say "Is Gujarati script just Devanagari without the top bar?" - a lot of people say that. To be honest, it is kind of, but there are some letters that are different. I can tell you them if you're interested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending