The Student Room Group

Language Society

Scroll to see replies

gaijin
すきです

freetranslation.com says "It is very unprepareness" :confused: Google says "We like" which sounds more complimentary. I think I shall go with that one

wesetters
Shouldn't that be esperanton?

So it should - thanks. I didn't realise the case endings applied to proper nouns
Reply 1381
shyopstv
freetranslation.com says "It is very unprepareness" :confused: Google says "We like" which sounds more complimentary. I think I shall go with that one

You can negate personal pronouns for certain situations in Japanese. Adding watashi (&#31169:wink: would look a bit daft. I could have added 'Sore ga' or something for a bit of completeness. But, meh... sue me. In terms of the context it can be understood.

The predicate noun, 'suki' (from the verb 'suku') is always used over the verb form. In Japanese, 'to love' something is not seen as direct action - its seen as non-volitional, so we use the noun form. So, literally, 'Its a liking of...' rather than 'I Like.'

There is also no conjugation of the verb for number and gender either.

So, Suki desu can mean, he likes, you like, they like, we like etc. However you hardly use them in Japanese aside from 'I' or possibly 'you' for effect.

Its considered a bit vulgar.

Besides Kare (he/him) and kanojo (she/her) mostly means boyfriend and girlfriend in contempary Japanese.

I don't know where you got 'unprepareness' from... :s-smilie:
When is the interview, paddylad? I got a phone call from the Spanish department, and have the Spanish one at 2.30 on Monday, so expect the next one to come quickly!
Ah, I saw your post in the UCL subforum. How did it go?
Reply 1384
burntgorilla
Ah, I saw your post in the UCL subforum. How did it go?

It didn't actually, it was postponed to tomorrow due to the tutor not being able to make it today afterall.
I just had the Russian interview though, I think it went ok but don't want to jynx it! It was about 10 minutes long but felt much shorter. I hope I didn't babble too much, I can barely talk when I'm nervous!
Quite looking forward to the Spanish interview tomorrow, although I don't know how I'm going to manage to speak Spanish over the phone!
Ui, good luck, but then again... UCL. :rolleyes: :p:
Hi,

Im new to the language society so i thought id just introduce my self and say hello!

I speak french, russian and portuguese.
(Im learning japanese but it is proving rather difficult!!)

regards,
saz x :biggrin:
Reply 1387
In a bid to defend the Japanese and other Far-East Asians against the plight that is Engrish, I stumbled across a gem today that probably shows that it isn't only the Japanese who mess thinks up. It came on the back of my mp3 player carrying case I received at Christmas (yes, its took me this long to open it.)

Sacoche en cuir:

Transportez and protégez votre ZEN en toute situation.

Franglais! Mind you its says 'Made in Malaysia'

Goddamn it!

Any other hilarious and bizarre translations would be most welcome. :smile:
Reply 1388
wesetters
Perhaps I'm being dim, but it doesn't look that bad to me :redface:

I thought it was funny in the sort of way you find running down the high-street with your underpants round yer ankles whilst smoking dope sort of way. Aka, not very, unless you understand the context.

Check out the link I posted however - its pretty funny.

I remember a sign in a Chinese cafe in Moscow translating something like: Please will men not aggressively fly entry into the kitchen floor.

I still have this mental image of Russians going AK-47 style into a Chinese kitchen and falling arse over head on the grubby floor.
hellloooo!!! PRIVEEET!!!!...

es there is ....my language is RUSSIAN!!!..but also Ukranian :P

any way...was wondering if u know where i can meet spanish speaking YOUNG xD ppl in london??? ...thank youuu!!!!
Pedantic much:

Hello in Japanese is far more often phoneticly spelled out in hiragana than written with kanji: I.E. こんにちは instead of 今日は~

I'd love to learn tons of languages, and my interest in a language is always related to my interest in the culture, as opposed to it's use in buisness.

Hense, in an ideal world I'd speak:

Japanese
Korean
Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese)
Swedish
Icelandic
German

And a bunch of pointless dead languages such as:
Old English
Classic Chinese
Classic Japanese
Latin
Reply 1391
Hallo!!
German Rules!!!!!!
I've been learing for 6 years but I dnt think Im at a good enough level but i try my best.

Es is sehr schlecht, dass mein deutsch so schlecht ist. Seit 6 Jahren studiere ich und hab noch keine Ahrnung(ist es wie man sagt das?- 'to have no idea')
kuroptd
Hallo!!
German Rules!!!!!!
I've been learing for 6 years but I dnt think Im at a good enough level but i try my best.

Es is sehr schlecht, dass mein deutsch so schlecht ist. Seit 6 Jahren studiere ich und hab noch keine Ahrnung(ist es wie man sagt das?- 'to have no idea')

Seit sechs Jahren studiere ich es und ich habe noch keine Ahnung. Ja, das bedeutet 'i have no idea'

And may I join this Language Society?
You may. :p: Are you studying any other languages?
:hello: It's been a long time... how's it going in Paris?
Dunno, left London two weeks ago, returned to Germany for a couple of months: transferred to Law, but have to start anew in September. :/
Reply 1396
:eek3: Are you doing Law at KCL then? Or somewhere else?
Jammertal
You may. :p: Are you studying any other languages?

Haha, you missed my sig German and Russian at Manchester, and also I speak fluent rubbish.
Uuups, ok....

Are you doing Law at KCL then? Or somewhere else?

Hm, that's I keep asking myself: KCL or UCL (would have to apply through their German partner uni: only 2-3 places) or start a course at a German uni in the spring term. Decisions, decisions.
Reply 1399
thatwhichiam
Seit sechs Jahren studiere ich es und ich habe noch keine Ahnung. Ja, das bedeutet 'i have no idea'

Danke!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending