The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Medicine Offer Holders 2013 Chat Thread :D

Hey everybody!

This is the offer holder chat thread for Medicine at UCL 2013 entry! Thought it'd be a good transition from the "applicant" thread as UCL have all but finished up (I think a few more decisions to go now).

So who has a place? So far it's my only offer, but I'm still waiting for decisions from Barts and Cardiff. So far I'm leaning towards UCL as my firm because it was my initial first choice and I loved seeing the medical school at my interview. What about you?

Click here for Facebook page

The Cruciform Building, UCL Medical School
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by DrAtticusFinch
Hey everybody!

I don't know if there was a thread for this, but I couldn't see one. I just thought it could be good for those with UCL Medicine offers to chat and get to know one another :smile:

So... I guess the first questions is do you want to firm UCL?

At the minute UCL is my first choice, because its the only one to give me an offer elsewhere. However I am still waiting for Barts and then I have a tough decision to make :smile:

Hey! I firmed UCL a few days ago. :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
heeeey! im gonna firm ucl. nice to meet u all!
hope to see u all in september! :biggrin:
Reply 3
As soon as I get my last offer Im firming UCL <3 My offer was AAAE and an E in extended project
Reply 4
Whaaaa so so crazy how it's all finished now and we just gotta get the grades.

Doesn't feel real!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Added in the facebook page in case you want to join :smile:
Reply 6
Hello!

I got an offer back in December and am still waiting for Barts to reply so I can firm UCL!

Looking forward to starting at university, but a bit nervous about what it's going to be like. :biggrin:

----------
Harantony
Hey, firmed UCL already.

Just wanted to ask, can someone explain the blood tests to me? The hep B vaccine is fine, and I'm already doing it, but the info on the blood tests is a bit confusing. Basically, do we need to get it done privately, or is it done by the uni when we get there?
Reply 8
Original post by glfharris
Hey, firmed UCL already.

Just wanted to ask, can someone explain the blood tests to me? The hep B vaccine is fine, and I'm already doing it, but the info on the blood tests is a bit confusing. Basically, do we need to get it done privately, or is it done by the uni when we get there?

I was under the impression that they would give us the blood test. I think I read that we could get it done privately but, because its requirements are so specific, it would be best to get it done once we're there.

Don't take my word for it though - it would be great if someone could clear this up for sure. :smile:

----------
Harantony
Hey guys! Firmed UCL a couple of days ago. I can't wait for September! :biggrin: (though we gotta get through exams first)
Hey, firmed UCL a couple of days ago :biggrin:
I am a little confused about the accommodation. I wish to stay on campus, can someone suggest a good on campus house close to gower street / bloomsbury ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by glfharris
Hey, firmed UCL already.

We need to send the health survey off with hep B started, and after the course is done they'll give us a blood test. I also had to ask the admission tutor for help on that xD! Gratz on your offer!
Reply 12
I requested to join the Facebook group a while back but no one has confirmed it?! :frown: haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Harantony
I was under the impression that they would give us the blood test. I think I read that we could get it done privately but, because its requirements are so specific, it would be best to get it done once we're there.

Don't take my word for it though - it would be great if someone could clear this up for sure. :smile:

----------
Harantony

I emailed them and they said that they will do the blood tests with the necessary requirements, but not for free. I think the cost will be around £140 for all the blood tests to be done
Original post by Apurva Raghavan
Hey, firmed UCL a couple of days ago :biggrin:
I am a little confused about the accommodation. I wish to stay on campus, can someone suggest a good on campus house close to gower street / bloomsbury ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, there isn't really a campus at UCL; the student accommodation is in various buildings around the city, but most are very close to the bloomsbury/gower street area.

If you want to be really close there's Campbell House (east & west), John Tovell or Arthur Tattershall. These are about £150/week and self catering.

There's also Astor, which is a bit cheaper, but slightly further away. You get fridges in your room. (obviously also self catered)

The catered accommodation is seriously dingy (read: prison like), but if you need it, Ramsay is the closest. Also about £150/week.

Good Luck :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Waiting on notts and birmingham to see what they say but gonna be firming UCL! Out of interest, anyone not staying in halls? I'm planning on staying at my sister's flat about half an hour away by tube. Little apprehensive about missing out on halls though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm considering Hawkridge House for accommodation because it is the cheapest (I'm not really in the financial position to spend £150 a week on accommodation) but am a little concerned about the distance. I usually walk a fair bit every day to school and back, but it's about a 30 minute journey. Is 45-60 minutes (time indicated on website) excessive for someone used to walking? The other one is Aston(?) which seems a bit closer.

Also, I had a look at all the clubs and societies. I think I'll definitely be joining the Surgical Society and also a few other Medicine related societies. I also want to give Fencing a go, because I've never tried it before and have always wanted to do it.
Original post by im7
I emailed them and they said that they will do the blood tests with the necessary requirements, but not for free. I think the cost will be around £140 for all the blood tests to be done

Thanks for this - I suppose I have no choice but to pay :P
So are people thinking of going for halls or student houses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Halls, definitely. They seem to be much cheaper (basically anywhere I go will be based largely on cost)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending