The Student Room Group

Who is better? Ferguson or Mourinho?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moggis
Mourinho is still better.
Darren has a lot to learn still.

Ferguson in comparison to? I said it many times here and do it again and again: Ferguson was the best what Manchester ever happened and can't imagine Manchester ever gets a better one.

Apart from his time at Manchester, Mourinho is still one of the most successful managers in football history.
I am a Man Utd fan. I believe both managers are exceptional. We have to honour Mourinho as a good Man Utd manager as he had a very good first season winning three titles. (Community Shield, EFL Cup, Europa League). However, his game plan is awful parking the bus. Ferguson has had an exceptional time at Manchester he had inspired many fans and Maurico Pochettino he jas a better style of play and won many titles. I believe Fergie is better than the 'Special one'. Both managers are legends.
Original post by Kallisto
Ferguson in comparison to? I said it many times here and do it again and again: Ferguson was the best what Manchester ever happened and can't imagine Manchester ever gets a better one.

Apart from his time at Manchester, Mourinho is still one of the most successful managers in football

Are you saying Mourinho is still a very good manager?
Fergie > Mourinho

/thread
Original post by moggis
Are you saying Mourinho is still a very good manager?

Measured by his success, yes, he is. He has won international and national trophies, and as far as I know he won one title with every club he managed at least. In four different countries (Portugal, England, Italy and Spain)! that is impressive and I admit it, even if I don't like his character as polarizing troublemaker, but that does not matter.
Erdogan
there is no comparison
Measured by his success, yes, he is. He has won international and national trophies, and as far as I know he won one title with every club he managed at least. In four different countries (Portugal, England, Italy and Spain)! that is impressive and I admit it, even if I don't like his character as polarizing troublemaker, but that does not matter.

Are you okay, sorry if i come about as abstract, but listen mate, his alter ego is f**** up, okay. First of all he is inconsistent, he is f****** b******, ruined my team i felt so ashamed i moved citities. He completely ruined the united brand, i am saying as the most loyal united supporter, i would rather have had a failure season under van haal. Secondldy he had three f****** transfer windows, ye what did he buy: a*** okay. he was allowed to buy the most expensive player that time pogba. Gues where all the player he bought have gone Lukaku (stormzy) is gone from mising from his career just like his first touch. Do you want me to say more, please do reply i would like to express my opinion
Original post by thaxaos
Are you okay, sorry if i come about as abstract, but listen mate, his alter ego is f**** up, okay. First of all he is inconsistent, he is f****** b******, ruined my team i felt so ashamed i moved citities. He completely ruined the united brand, i am saying as the most loyal united supporter, i would rather have had a failure season under van haal. Secondldy he had three f****** transfer windows, ye what did he buy: a*** okay. he was allowed to buy the most expensive player that time pogba. Gues where all the player he bought have gone Lukaku (stormzy) is gone from mising from his career just like his first touch. Do you want me to say more, please do reply i would like to express my opinion

I am sure that you are not the only (United) fan who thinks like that. And I have just judged him by succeess to be fair. And what he did to the United team and the players - especially Pogba - is out of the question and not okay. He has offended those in the public and missed all discretion and decency a manager should have in this business. In this point of view, I agree.

I suspect his character does matter now. I don’t really care about mangers but I read the Times and their reporters have thought he’s yesterdays man for quite a while now.
If I was the owner of a major club I wouldn’t want to take the risk of hiring him.
But you would presumably. Well we will see how he does in his next job.
I’d wager José from 2002-2012 as the best run of any manager in modern history.
Reply 191
Original post by Diego Costa
I’d wager José from 2002-2012 as the best run of any manager in modern history.

True. 2 CLs and 7 League titles in 10 years is a pretty mean feat. Include a treble in there too.

Pep is similar though, although he's not won the CL for a while as well. In 10 years 08-18 pep has won 7 league titles and 2 CLs as well as a treble in his first season. It's kinda level if we really wanna go by it, both have had obscene amounts of money to play with however.

Fergie from 98-08 won 5 league titles and 2 CLs but arguably had tougher opposition and a weaker team domestically.

Zidane just needs to carry on managing and winning CLs every season though. Guy made a mockery of the competition tbh.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bj27
True. 2 CLs and 7 League titles in 10 years is a pretty mean feat. Include a treble in there too.

Pep is similar though, although he's not won the CL for a while as well. In 10 years 08-18 pep has won 7 league titles and 2 CLs as well as a treble in his first season. It's kinda level if we really wanna go by it, both have had obscene amounts of money to play with however.

Fergie from 98-08 won 5 league titles and 2 CLs but arguably had tougher opposition and a weaker team domestically.

Zidane just needs to carry on managing and winning CLs every season though. Guy made a mockery of the competition tbh.

The CL is a mockery, to be honest.

The title was contested by teams who finished 3rd and 4th - 17 and 25 points away from top is a joke. Madrid had a lot of favourable decisions en route to many of their finals and 2017 aside were incredibly luck in all of the recent ones. Liverpool just had a load of garbage teams apart from Man City who set up in a way that was perfect for them to counter against. Cup competitions in general are a lot of luck. Were Portugal the best team at the Euros for example?

I have Jose higher as he won the CL with Porto. Whilst Pep did bring in and develop the Barcelona side that won the CL, they still won it two years before he joined and three years after he left.
Reply 193
Original post by Diego Costa
The CL is a mockery, to be honest.

The title was contested by teams who finished 3rd and 4th - 17 and 25 points away from top is a joke. Madrid had a lot of favourable decisions en route to many of their finals and 2017 aside were incredibly luck in all of the recent ones. Liverpool just had a load of garbage teams apart from Man City who set up in a way that was perfect for them to counter against. Cup competitions in general are a lot of luck. Were Portugal the best team at the Euros for example?

I have Jose higher as he won the CL with Porto. Whilst Pep did bring in and develop the Barcelona side that won the CL, they still won it two years before he joined and three years after he left.

Before Zidane who won the CL two years in a row?

Not saying who is better because any manager can be good at one club for 2-3 seasons. Mourinho mastered that.

I also said before clearly that Pep and Mou had similar 10 year runs, Pep had better teams though(although difficulty of league titles were about the same if you balance it out, CL wins slightly easier for Pep when you consider the team, but he built the team for the 10/11 one). Both basically took a year out of management too.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest