The Student Room Group

Is it okay for my gf to speak to her ex? (Hear me out)

So me and my ex have been together for about 3 years. Don’t get me wrong the first year or so of our relationship wassnt amazing. But we got through it and know we are all good. About a year ago, I found out that she was ‘cheating on me’ with her ex. They’d been messaging secretly behind my back for about a month. He was aware that I was with her. They were going to meet and ‘****’ but she claimed that at the last minute she couldn’t go through with it. We broke up but eventually worked it out, but it was agreed that she would never speak to him again, and would remove him in everything. Fast foward to now and her mate has bumped into her ex in town. Her ex said things to my girlfriends mate which according to my girlfriend ‘it was just really nice things nothing deep’ she then said if she bumped into him on a night out she would have a conversation with him and she wants to be civil. Is this okay? Should she even have the option to be civil after what she done or am I being a **** head?

I’d like to add aswell that her ex does not like me, and has been rude about me in the past for no reason, and she knows this.
Your girlfriend was going to cheat on you with your ex and now she wants to have a civil relationship. Come on, where is that going to lead to? Plus her ex is talking smack about you, obvs he will try to take your girl and leave you in the dump.
*shrug* A difference between actively being friends and being civil if you see someone, you don't have much say over the latter.
Original post by Anonymous

So me and my ex have been together for about 3 years. Don’t get me wrong the first year or so of our relationship wassnt amazing. But we got through it and know we are all good. About a year ago, I found out that she was ‘cheating on me’ with her ex. They’d been messaging secretly behind my back for about a month. He was aware that I was with her. They were going to meet and ‘****’ but she claimed that at the last minute she couldn’t go through with it. We broke up but eventually worked it out, but it was agreed that she would never speak to him again, and would remove him in everything. Fast foward to now and her mate has bumped into her ex in town. Her ex said things to my girlfriends mate which according to my girlfriend ‘it was just really nice things nothing deep’ she then said if she bumped into him on a night out she would have a conversation with him and she wants to be civil. Is this okay? Should she even have the option to be civil after what she done or am I being a **** head?

I’d like to add aswell that her ex does not like me, and has been rude about me in the past for no reason, and she knows this.

With respect, you seem to be misunderstanding what being civil means.

It doesn't mean going out of your way to talk or be overly nice to someone, it just means you being polite enough as and when you do see them or you HAVE to interact with them (for whatever reason). It basically means interacting with them the bare minimum so as you're not seen to be rude, childish or hostile.

If anything, being civil is more for the benefit of others in the group or who are around, so they don't feel awkward or like they have to pick sides.

IMHO, she can be civil to him... but when he tries getting too friendly or he sl**s you off, then she needs to put her foot down.

Original post by StriderHort
*shrug* A difference between actively being friends and being civil if you see someone, you don't have much say over the latter.

Exactly this
Original post by Old Skool Freak
With respect, you seem to be misunderstanding what being civil means.

It doesn't mean going out of your way to talk or be overly nice to someone, it just means you being polite enough as and when you do see them or you HAVE to interact with them (for whatever reason). It basically means interacting with them the bare minimum so as you're not seen to be rude, childish or hostile.

If anything, being civil is more for the benefit of others in the group or who are around, so they don't feel awkward or like they have to pick sides.

IMHO, she can be civil to him... but when he tries getting too friendly or he sl**s you off, then she needs to put her foot down.

Exactly this

Exactly also. Like when most breaking couples say 'lets stay friends', what they really mean is 'Lets commit to being kinda ok with each other socially and not cause a scene or division for friends/restaurant staff/traffic police/family. Actually being open friends again takes a lot more work and isn't always possible or desirable.

I obv have some mixed feelings towards most of my exes one way or another, but I'd like to think as an adult default I could make polite small talk for at least a few mins or if need be ask any burning question I had on my mind without a drama.
Original post by StriderHort
Exactly also. Like when most breaking couples say 'lets stay friends', what they really mean is 'Lets commit to being kinda ok with each other socially and not cause a scene or division for friends/restaurant staff/traffic police/family. Actually being open friends again takes a lot more work and isn't always possible or desirable.

I think it depends very much on the nature / reason for the break up.

For example, if it's a mutual decision that their relationship has run its course, and they both agree it's time to call it a day, it can be very amicable. I know of at least one ex couple who went on holiday together with both their new partners as a foursome. Obviously if the reason is that someone behaved badly or selfishly, then it can be much harder; ditto if one person wants out and the other person doesn't.

Also a very high profile couple who remained friends after their divorce was Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson.

Spoiler

Original post by Old Skool Freak
I think it depends very much on the nature / reason for the break up.

True, the way things ended will play a big part in what terms you stay on and whether you would ever want to talk to someone again.

I get on ok with almost all my exes, but I deffo have that 1 I don't want near me, and I would take steps to avoid before contact or drama.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending