The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="ameelia22;44321714"]
Original post by awilson008
Also, like someone previously asked, what universities prefer reapplicants with achieved grades? Also what unis like great examination results and don't mind if you haven't done months and months of volunteering and work experience?

There's an Applying to Your Strengths page but not sure how up to date it is.[/QUOTE]

its up-to-date, just ring up universities if you require clarification. Research, research, research. We can't do it all for you!

Of course I will! I just think The Student Room can also be a great research tool, where people can share information...
Original post by Dr.Ugs
You lucky doodle!!!! My preorder was for my birthday so that will be good :biggrin:.

I was reconsidering going on the KAPLAN course coz for £355 I could easily get a PS4. :frown:

Do you play KZ3?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I sold my Xbox now because I know I'd get more value for it now then when the new consoles come out! I was never a big console fan except PS2 which was amazing, but had generic games like Fifa 12/13 COD series. Yet to get into kill zone but I've only heard good things about it :biggrin: I put my deposit down for ps4 I have 260 saved atm xD major game I played was world of Warcraft, honestly the amount of stress and team work in this game I wish I could include it lol. But going back to consoles when new gen comes out :smile:
Original post by raveen789
No I sold my Xbox now because I know I'd get more value for it now then when the new consoles come out! I was never a big console fan except PS2 which was amazing, but had generic games like Fifa 12/13 COD series. Yet to get into kill zone but I've only heard good things about it :biggrin: I put my deposit down for ps4 I have 260 saved atm xD major game I played was world of Warcraft, honestly the amount of stress and team work in this game I wish I could include it lol. But going back to consoles when new gen comes out :smile:

I smashed this game, true about the stress and skills you gain. Could write an amazing personal statement with this. - Resisting the temptation to play during gap year and become addicted and become a bumm.
Original post by Richyp22
I smashed this game, true about the stress and skills you gain. Could write an amazing personal statement with this. - Resisting the temptation to play during gap year and become addicted and become a bumm.

hahaha same once im in a raid guild, it's all over for my future prospects xD
Reply 1184

Lol nice! Well done with the savings, I would have spent it the minute I hit £20 lol. Same with Killzone3 SO MUCH TEAMWORK but the only problem is that it's teamwork for the wrong reasons lol (to kill) but in killzone you can be a medic and go around reviving people LOL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Lol nice! Well done with the savings, I would have spent it the minute I hit £20 lol. Same with Killzone3 SO MUCH TEAMWORK but the only problem is that it's teamwork for the wrong reasons lol (to kill) but in killzone you can be a medic and go around reviving people LOL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be such a killer opening to a PS. My initial interest in medicine began when I got my first kill zone game, I was required to revive and heal injured players whilst showing an empathetic and supportive attitude. xD
Reply 1186
Original post by Green Bubblegum
Nope. I am not sure about Barts though. One of my friends told me it's very competitive. I know, which uni is not?:colondollar:

True :smile: but I would call up. I wa told if you got 460 you were almost guaranteed an interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
True :smile: but I would call up. I wa told if you got 460 you were almost guaranteed an interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know of any medical schools which 'overlook' the GCSE and really prefer A-Level achieved grades?
Original post by Dr.Ugs

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry to say that this isn't entirely true. (I also thought this before deciding not to apply ). For Barts,there wasn't a set amount of UCAS points that almost guaranteed an interview. In fact, those scoring less than 500 were less likely to receive one.
Keep in mind that the UCAS tariff score includes subjects such as General studies.
Reply 1189
Original post by frogs r everywhere
I'm sorry to say that this isn't entirely true. (I also thought this before deciding not to apply ). For Barts,there wasn't a set amount of UCAS points that almost guaranteed an interview. In fact, those scoring less than 500 were less likely to receive one.
Keep in mind that the UCAS tariff score includes subjects such as General studies.

I didnt applied so I wasn't sure :smile: thanks for the correction!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1190
Is anyone else feeling slightly intimidated after seeing all the stellar UKCAT scores achieved on here? :/

I know TSR isn't representative of the national average but even this year's TSR 'average' seems to have skyrocketed - I've only seen a few people with scores less than the 700s. It's frightening!
Reply 1191
That would be such a killer opening to a PS. My initial interest in medicine began when I got my first kill zone game, I was required to revive and heal injured players whilst showing an empathetic and supportive attitude. xD

Lol best they have ever seen!!! (According to us) but for them it's someone who is an idiot.

Seriously though, if admission tutors played this game they would understand!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did you manage to improve your UKCAT by 450!:eek:

Because I was a naive idiot last year haha :facepalm:
Reply 1193
Do you know of any medical schools which 'overlook' the GCSE and really prefer A-Level achieved grades?

Well Leeds do :smile: they look at eithe your achieved A Levels or your GCSEs. If your have AAA you get full points for academics apparently. Not so sure for others but I know that Keele don't require too much from your GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1194
Original post by kimsiclez
Is anyone else feeling slightly intimidated after seeing all the stellar UKCAT scores achieved on here? :/

I know TSR isn't representative of the national average but even this year's TSR 'average' seems to have skyrocketed - I've only seen a few people with scores less than the 700s. It's frightening!

Yes, you are not alone!! I feel stupid because I got really low last year and people are getting 800-900 for subtlest scores!!!!!! I feel incapable of applying!!!!

But one must not give up. This is TSR we talk of and besides I don't think people who did particularly badly would post their scores :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Well Leeds do :smile: they look at eithe your achieved A Levels or your GCSEs. If your have AAA you get full points for academics apparently. Not so sure for others but I know that Keele don't require too much from your GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do they actually? I saw their FAQ that said that but when I phoned their admissions they were like what? they said they would either look at GCSEs or AS levels + Achieved A2 grades, My achieved AS grades were rather lame :s-smilie:
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I didnt applied so I wasn't sure :smile: thanks for the correction!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome. :smile: I apologise if I sounded patronising. That certainly wasn't my aim.
Reply 1197
Original post by frogs r everywhere
You're welcome. :smile: I apologise if I sounded patronising. That certainly wasn't my aim.

Not at all :smile: I appreciate that you corrected me! We must have the right info this time round. Last year I too was "naive" as scottasauras said :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1198
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Yes, you are not alone!! I feel stupid because I got really low last year and people are getting 800-900 for subtlest scores!!!!!! I feel incapable of applying!!!!

But one must not give up. This is TSR we talk of and besides I don't think people who did particularly badly would post their scores :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh same here! That is true I guess, it just feels like everyone is getting incredible scores though! I'd be over the moon if I even managed to get above 750 in a sub test haha. But DA and AR seem really high this year and VR is so low!

I agree, we can do this!
Reply 1199
Original post by kimsiclez
Oh same here! That is true I guess, it just feels like everyone is getting incredible scores though! I'd be over the moon if I even managed to get above 750 in a sub test haha. But DA and AR seem really high this year and VR is so low!

I agree, we can do this!

I recall someone on the UKCAT thread saying that he/she knows two people on the thread that lied about their scores. If that's the case then TSR is highly unreliable in terms of observing UKCAT scores

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending