The Student Room Group

Applying for medicine whilst in first year of university

How’s it going fellas, I know there’s a few posts about this same topic but from what I can see the latest one is from 2014.

I’m in a bit of a ****ty situation atm as I’m still in year 13 and have already applied for Chem Eng; I knew that I wanted to do medicine before I had sent my UCAS off but it was too late by then to start a decent med personal statement. I’m hoping to apply for medicine during my first year of university (providing I get the right grades and a half decent UCAT). I’d rather not take a gap year.

So my question is: has anybody been in my position (applied during first year) or know someone who has successfully pulled this off? If so what universities would you recommend I look at ?
The only one I know atm is Glasgow, but I could be wrong.

Appreciate any advice, cheers 👍
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by mueed007
How’s it going fellas, I know there’s a few posts about this same topic but from what I can see the latest one is from 2014.

I’m in a bit of a ****ty situation atm as I’m still in year 13 and have already applied for Chem Eng; I knew that I wanted to do medicine before I had sent my UCAS off but it was too late by then to start a decent med personal statement. I’m hoping to apply for medicine during my first year of university (providing I get the right grades and a half decent UCAT). I’d rather not take a gap year.

So my question is: has anybody been in my position (applied during first year) or know someone who has successfully pulled this off? If so what universities would you recommend I look at ?

I've moved this to the Medicine forum.

It's not really a topic for Educational debate :wink:
Reply 2
Hahahaha thanks mate, I’m currently on the mobile app and it’s the biggest pile of **** I’ve seen. Getting deleted now 👍
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3

You’re expected to finish any degree you start and will have to apply for graduate entry medicine. Your best bet is to take a gap year if medicine is what you really want to do, what have you got against taking one?
Reply 4
Original post by Laycity
You’re expected to finish any degree you start and will have to apply for graduate entry medicine. Your best bet is to take a gap year if medicine is what you really want to do, what have you got against taking one?

Uh no, you can change degree courses after the first year if you've had a change of heart.

Student Finance specifically allows a "gift year" for false starts or repeating a year.

(Although I don't think it's a good idea to do this.. :wink: )

Edit: ah, I just remembered why I rarely give advice in the Medicine Forum - I'd forgotten changing course would limit medschool choices. Apologies :getmecoat:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Laycity

Really? I would have thought a few universities would still consider you from what I can remember from that list I saw a while back.
And it's mainly because I'd rather not waste a year and end up in the same situation again. Think I'll have to see what grades I end up getting before making a decision
Reply 6
Really? I would have thought a few universities would still consider you from what I can remember from that list I saw a while back.
And it's mainly because I'd rather not waste a year and end up in the same situation again. Think I'll have to see what grades I end up getting before making a decision

Although you *could* start your ChemEng I am struggling to see the point if you aren't set on it. I do actually agree a gap year would be a better approach. Not least it will save you tuition/living costs plus give you the opportunity to actually earn some money.

A gap year is not a wasted year!

Take a gap year fella. Doing a course you definitely know you don't want to do is a bit mad.

As already stated, your choices will be more limited as a significant number of medical schools will expect you to complete your chemical engineering degree and apply as a graduate.

There's nothing wrong with taking a gap year and re-applying - it's very common amongst medical school applicants.
Reply 8
Original post by Doones
Although you *could* start your ChemEng I am struggling to see the point if you aren't set on it. I do actually agree a gap year would be a better approach. Not least it will save you tuition/living costs plus give you the opportunity to actually earn some money.

A gap year is not a wasted year!

Original post by Democracy
Take a gap year fella. Doing a course you definitely know you don't want to do is a bit mad.

As already stated, your choices will be more limited as a significant number of medical schools will expect you to complete your chemical engineering degree and apply as a graduate.

There's nothing wrong with taking a gap year and re-applying - it's very common amongst medical school applicants.

Thanks for the replies. Erm, I think I’ll only take a gap year if I get a quality ucat. And decent a levels of course. Again, appreciate the help, enjoy your night 👍
Thanks for the replies. Erm, I think I’ll only take a gap year if I get a quality ucat. And decent a levels of course. Again, appreciate the help, enjoy your night 👍

Honestly dude even if you get the worst UCAT score in the world it's still not a great justification for spending £20K on a year of a degree you don't really want to do :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by Democracy
Honestly dude even if you get the worst UCAT score in the world it's still not a great justification for spending £20K on a year of a degree you don't really want to do :tongue:

Hahaha it looks bad I know mate but I wouldn’t mind doing chem eng either. With or without a good ucat it’s ridiculously hard to get into so I may just have to accept it if it doesn’t work out first time.
You currently at university?
Reply 11
Hahaha it looks bad I know mate but I wouldn’t mind doing chem eng either. With or without a good ucat it’s ridiculously hard to get into so I may just have to accept it if it doesn’t work out first time.
You currently at university?

@Democracy is an ex-medical student
Original post by GANFYD

This is true :moon:
Reply 13
Original post by GANFYD

Norwegian Blue?
Reply 14
Original post by Doones
Norwegian Blue?

He's hardly restin', is he??

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1958285/Monty-Pythons-dead-parrot-did-exist.html

You are much missed on the medicine threads :smile:
Reply 15

Hey, I know I'm really late and you're probably already doing a degree but there are actually quite a few unis that accept your application even if you're in the first year of another degree. I've emailed Southampton,Newcastle and Plymouth and they all said yes to me.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending