The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by SuziieB
I thought you had to include your gap year!? Wow, everyone said you have to mention it though, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where does it say in any admissions policy that you HAVE To???? :tongue:

Plus what's the point of writing something you haven't done yet? Most unis only consider the things you have already done and not what you forecast you will do :tongue:

And if they are looking at your PS as a school leaver then it doesn't matter about gap years as most people will be in year 13 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1381
Original post by HCubed
There's a section on resits in the medicine wiki. It's complicated so I can't give you a simple answer - you need to study it.

Just found it there! Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1382
Original post by AhmedDavid
Does anyone know the Universities that allow a year's resit for 2014/2015 Entry?

Thanks in advance

The policies can change from year to year when the admission people (little devils :tongue:) review their admission protocol/system. Though the ones I know that will allow resits regardless of any circumstances are UEA, Exeter, Liverpool and others depending on what grades you got the first time round.
Original post by PG593
The policies can change from year to year when the admission people (little devils :tongue:) review their admission protocol/system.

God forbid they update their policies to reflect current research on how to select the best potential doctors :tongue:
Reply 1384
Original post by Becca-Sarah
God forbid they update their policies to reflect current research on how to select the best potential doctors :tongue:

Well it's all debatable and subjective isn't it, otherwise every medical school in the UK would have a mutual admission selection/policy or opinion on what makes the best potential doctor.
Check this guy out, he's had a blog running from his GCSE days (oh my, I can't even remember them) and is starting his first year at Barts! Quite inspiring and so exciting seeing his updates on starting first year (and yes, I'm quite jealous!)

http://gcsetodegree.blogspot.co.uk/
Original post by ameelia22
Check this guy out, he's had a blog running from his GCSE days (oh my, I can't even remember them) and is starting his first year at Barts! Quite inspiring and so exciting seeing his updates on starting first year (and yes, I'm quite jealous!)

http://gcsetodegree.blogspot.co.uk/

Cool :redface:
Hey, I was wondering if anybody here could help me out with my situation.
GCSEs: 9A*A
AS: 4A in Bio, Chem, Maths and History
A2: A in Bio, B in Maths, B in Chem [I wanna cut myself]
Is there any point in me reapplying for medicine. I have to resit the B grades, even though they were 10 UMS off in each case. A lot of unis will only consider AAB resits, and will I have a chance applying anywhere?
Reply 1388
Original post by peanutbuddha
Is there any point in me reapplying for medicine. I have to resit the B grades, even though they were 10 UMS off in each case. A lot of unis will only consider AAB resits, and will I have a chance applying anywhere?

UEA, Liverpool, Lancaster, Plymouth, Exeter :smile: although I'm not sure about Plymouth and Exeter for 2014 entry

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

With ABB, it is going to be difficult but it isn't impossible. (especially if you had persuading extenuating circumstances). I believe that UEA accepts ABB. (prior to resiting)
Original post by Dr.Ugs
UEA, Liverpool, Lancaster, Plymouth, Exeter :smile: although I'm not sure about Plymouth and Exeter for 2014 entry

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice! Do you have any experience concerning reapplying?
Reply 1391
I got AAB in maths, chem and physics respectively. I did AS bio, if I pick up A2 bio during my gap year will it count as completing a-levels over 3 years? Or should I retake physics?

Do I even realistically have a chance to get in med school?
Does anyone have any info on med foundation years and if I'd be eligible? Probably unlikely because of the A in chem.

I'm seriously lost on what to do.
Reply 1392
Thanks for the advice! Do you have any experience concerning reapplying?

I'm a reapplicant myself :smile: reapplying this year so I'm not so sure I have the "reapplicant" experience just yet :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1393
Original post by blah13
I got AAB in maths, chem and physics respectively. I did AS bio, if I pick up A2 bio during my gap year will it count as completing a-levels over 3 years? Or should I retake physics?

Do I even realistically have a chance to get in med school?
Does anyone have any info on med foundation years and if I'd be eligible? Probably unlikely because of the A in chem.

I'm seriously lost on what to do.

There is hope. RESIT :biggrin: Check the medicine resit wiki. This question has been asked so often and the resit community is growing so join the medicine resit thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Ok guys, just a quick heads up before you think anything about reapplying (if you had already).

I'm currently in the process of reapplying to medical school. Again.

In June 2012, I sat my A-levels in my final year of school. Travelled a bit during the summer, did some charity work in Sub Saharan Africa, then reapplied. In my second attempt (which is what I am describing now), I got two interviews, and didn;t get in. One offered me a place on a science course they did, and said if i do well enough I could transfer over. Its a risk, but hey...i prefer taking risks.

I just wanted to say that, because when I heard I wasn't going for a second time, i found a load of comments from people saying something along the lines of "don't worry, reapply, virtually everyone gets into medical school second time around". Either I'm a rare exception to that rule, or you aren't guaranteed anything.

My advice to all of you would be:

*Do whatever you can to prepare for interviews. I didn't have any the first time I applied, then I got two, back to back, in my second attempt. not sure if that had any bearing not he final result.
*The focus should always be on empathy nowadays. You're going to need to show compassion, empathy and determination in your PS and hopefully your interview. If you can, they know you will succeed academically, and you have the right personality to be a doctor

Those would be my main tips. Other than that, your gap year should be great. Try and work a bit (so you can actually afford some food), maybe travel a bit (if that floats your boat) and best of luck to you all. And to me too.

EDIT-PS, if anyone wants to inbox me or reply to this post, feel free, and I will try and get back to you. I probably shouldn't be your first port of call for advice, but I'd be willing to try and help if you need any.

Oh, and as I got A*A*AA in A-levels, i'd try and help with any science/maths question, if you ask nicely.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey guys another re applicant here!

Got my UKCAT coming up next week, so just prepping for that.

Any idea which unis will be favoring us gap year applicants who got achieved A2 grades?
Original post by MrAli786

Any idea which unis will be favoring us gap year applicants who got achieved A2 grades?

Wish I knew the answer to that one!

From what I understand, Liverpool don't like reapplicants. I know Keele give half their interviews based on academic achievements of applicants (that's the only reason I got mine, I'm sure) so A-levels already achieved, if good (I had A*A*AA) would be a benefit. I also got an Exeter interview, though I did massively improve my UKCAT before I applied.
Reply 1397
Original post by MrAli786

Those using scoring systems. Not sure how many there are but there are quite a few (check the applying to medicine with your strengths wiki).

Welcome to the thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1398
Original post by QuentinM
Wish I knew the answer to that one!

From what I understand, Liverpool don't like reapplicants. I know Keele give half their interviews based on academic achievements of applicants (that's the only reason I got mine, I'm sure) so A-levels already achieved, if good (I had A*A*AA) would be a benefit. I also got an Exeter interview, though I did massively improve my UKCAT before I applied.

How much did you improve your UKCAT by? And where else did you apply? I really hope you get in this year!!!! Apart from interviews what do you think your weakness was?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, just wondering how far in everyone is on their personal statements? Also can anyone recommend any good online resources for the UKCAT with the exception of medify?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending