The Student Room Group

Meeting new people in London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DivinityA
I forgot about this thread. Sent off a PM for the FB group, still interested in meeting whoever whenever o/

I added you as a friend on facebook, don't think you've accepted it yet. I'll add you to the group when you accept :smile:
naww i deactivated fbk lol
London can be a very difficult place for social interaction if you're not local to the place because it attracts a lot of middle-class business people who are very into themselves and don't really have time for other people. I mean there's a lot of decent down to earth people in London too don't get me wrong, but it does have a reputation for being a bit rude.
Original post by josephperkins92
I added you as a friend on facebook, don't think you've accepted it yet. I'll add you to the group when you accept :smile:

Done!
Original post by pinkglitterx
naww i deactivated fbk lol

If you like I can keep you updated on when we're meeting up. I just thought the discussion would be easier to have on facebook :smile:
If you like I can keep you updated on when we're meeting up. I just thought the discussion would be easier to have on facebook :smile:

Aww thank you, that would be gd!
Reply 186
Hey guys ! Can I be added on the facebook too ? :smile:
Reply 187
Giant Leap Proposal:

1) Rent a 2 bed flat/ 3 bed house in a cheaper area like Woolwich (which is on the DLR also).
It's a very good value area so there's a good chance you'd get past the credit checks. Plus it's NOT a dump in the central bit with loads of fancy new-builds and a fair few restaurants and a couple of bars.
There's real character in the area too with the historic Royal Arsenal there which is v. impressive.

2) Post an ad describing your interests/personality/house rules/age range and gender of applicants etc.

3) Next comes the fun part - you get to interview the prospective candidates and choose your new friends! You'll get a few weirdo's but you can just tell amusing stories about them to the housemates you do choose! The University of Greenwich is nearby so you might find Masters/PhD students that fit the bill??

I know this all sounds like a HUGE responsibility for a 23 yr old, but seeming as you must have a bit of time on your hands you might be able to make it work safely if you do your research properly, like insisting on seeing recent payslips, asking for quarterly deposits in advance of Energy bills and finding half decent, customization template sub-letting contracts with proper contingency measures if there's a fall-out.

I know I'm being a bit OTT :rolleyes: but this is the sort of thing I'd love to do if I had city job and credit rating.

Yours

M

Oh and I forgot to mention that Woolwich IS getting Crossrail after all so when the time comes you'll have super-quick commuting times to Canary Wharf/ Isle of Dogs. :beer:

Edited to add: I've just noticed you've made a load of Facebook friends already now so feel free to mock my mad-cap idea and not reading the recent bits of the thread!:blushing:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sonar891
Giant Leap Proposal:

1) Rent a 2 bed flat/ 3 bed house in a cheaper area like Woolwich (which is on the DLR also).
It's a very good value area so there's a good chance you'd get past the credit checks. Plus it's NOT a dump in the central bit with loads of fancy new-builds and a fair few restaurants and a couple of bars.
There's real character in the area too with the historic Royal Arsenal there which is v. impressive.

2) Post an ad describing your interests/personality/house rules/age range and gender of applicants etc.

3) Next comes the fun part - you get to interview the prospective candidates and choose your new friends! You'll get a few weirdo's but you can just tell amusing stories about them to the housemates you do choose! The University of Greenwich is nearby so you might find Masters/PhD students that fit the bill??

I know this all sounds like a HUGE responsibility for a 23 yr old, but seeming as you must have a bit of time on your hands you might be able to make it work safely if you do your research properly, like insisting on seeing recent payslips, asking for quarterly deposits in advance of Energy bills and finding half decent, customization template sub-letting contracts with proper contingency measures if there's a fall-out.

I know I'm being a bit OTT :rolleyes: but this is the sort of thing I'd love to do if I had city job and credit rating.

Yours

M

Oh and I forgot to mention that Woolwich IS getting Crossrail after all so when the time comes you'll have super-quick commuting times to Canary Wharf/ Isle of Dogs. :beer:

Edited to add: I've just noticed you've made a load of Facebook friends already now so feel free to mock my mad-cap idea and not reading the recent bits of the thread!:blushing:

No mocking to be done here, that's still a great idea! I think the thread has now kind of become a thing for people who are already in London though. For example I already have a 50 week accommodation contract so I'm stuck here but trying to meet new people in other ways :smile:
Reply 189
No mocking to be done here, that's still a great idea! I think the thread has now kind of become a thing for people who are already in London though. For example I already have a 50 week accommodation contract so I'm stuck here but trying to meet new people in other ways :smile:

Ha ha, I was just living out my own fantasies I think! Feel free to continue the Facebooking!
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey

Im 21, moved to london 2 months ago after graduating in fashion, tried various websites to meet new people on, but just end up with older people messaging me!

Not what im looking for! haha. Why is it so hard to meet people same age when you move to a new city and have just graduated??

Join me to this meeting, add me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/aimee.knight.33
Original post by Anonymous
Currently I'm living near Limehouse :smile:

Hi, im from leyton. :smile:
Reply 192
Hi I am from The Netherlands.
Is there anyone intrested to mail with me to improve my English?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
Original post by pits96
Hi I am from The Netherlands.
Is there anyone intrested to mail with me to improve my English?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! We can help each other :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 194
Thank you! I send my mail address to you
Reply 195
I study in London and live just outside

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to be added to the facebook group just private message me with a link to your facebook profile and I will add you. :smile:
Reply 198
Hi guys!

Please could I be added to the facebook group? I'm in the same situation, recently moved to London and I know very little people around here, it can be quite lonely!
Hi guys :tongue: Can I be added to the facebook group too? I've just moved to London and I don't know a lot of people. It's a bit difficult to make friends here and I want to meet new people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending