The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Philosophy and Economics - International Student

Hi everyone,

I am an offer-holder for P&E at UCL. I would definitely like to study Philosophy and Economics, and I have to decide between a pretty mediocre uni in Germany (Bayreuth, only one that offers P&E) and UCL.

I want to go to an excellent graduate school - maybe even get a PhD at a prestigious uni. My concern is that going to the German uni won't allow me to get into great universities simply because it is lacking international reputation. But if I go to UCL, I won't be able to get excellent grades since I am not a native speaker, which will be especially challening in philosophy.

So my question is - is it better to go to a mediocre uni and get very good grades or should I rather go to UCL and probably receive average grades? For both graduate school and career prospects.

On a sidenote - how's social life at UCL? Can anyone comment on the workload for P&E at UCL?

Thanks,
Philipp
If you can afford ucl go for it for the academic challenge and keep up your English over the summer-I'll bet it's better than you think!

Posted from TSR Mobile
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by philxhunter
Hi everyone,

I am an offer-holder for P&E at UCL. I would definitely like to study Philosophy and Economics, and I have to decide between a pretty mediocre uni in Germany (Bayreuth, only one that offers P&E) and UCL.

I want to go to an excellent graduate school - maybe even get a PhD at a prestigious uni. My concern is that going to the German uni won't allow me to get into great universities simply because it is lacking international reputation. But if I go to UCL, I won't be able to get excellent grades since I am not a native speaker, which will be especially challening in philosophy.

So my question is - is it better to go to a mediocre uni and get very good grades or should I rather go to UCL and probably receive average grades? For both graduate school and career prospects.

On a sidenote - how's social life at UCL? Can anyone comment on the workload for P&E at UCL?

Thanks,
Philipp

Hey Philipp,

I am an offer holder for Phil and Econ at UCL too and I am also an international student from Hungary, so I know what you mean when saying that UCL will be a challenge. It will be a great challenge though, I think. It is very hard to study Philosophy not in your native language, but you will definitely get into it, everyone does! You are right, it is important to get a first class degree, but don't worry, the first year doesn't count that much, so you'll have plenty of time to get into it! Even though German higher education is very strong I advise you to come! Come for the reputation, come for the challenge, and come for the social side of it(You'll have lots of international friends)! It will be great! I still need my final exams, so I can't yet say that I'll be there next year, but I hope I'll meet you there!:smile: Also, join this group if you haven't done it yet! http://www.facebook.com/groups/565955783428673/

Best,

Anna
Reply 3
I would definitely suggest going to UCL, for the following reasons:

UCL seems to be vastly better than Bayreuth, as quick searches on world rankings suggests. Though this method has flaws, I think it is pretty telling that the Shanghai ranking puts UCL at 21st in the world, and Bayreuth past 400... it also suggests that it is internationally recognised, which is a massive positive that I don't think you will be able to get elsewhere. I may be wrong, but I definitely think having a 'UCL Degree' will be much more valuable than having a better grade degree from a lesser university.

Next, London is a fantastically cosmopolitan city, so living and studying in it would be an experience unlike anything else. Also, being in London, you would have access to the various graduate jobs fairs put on locally, which have a reputation for being targetted by finance firms, city jobs, etc, though I can't verify that personally!

Most importantly, language. It seems to me that your main concern is with your English, but I don't think that's too much of a problem? Living in the UK would rapidly improve your language skills, and I believe that the university has a language learning centre, set up to ensure that everyone has the skills they need to complete their course. See here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/clie/english-for-academic-purposes
I get the impression that if the university want you enough to offer you a place on such a good course, they will invest time into you so that you can complete it! So, my opinion? Don't worry, come straight over to UCL and get started on your work! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by navyspaces
I would definitely suggest going to UCL, for the following reasons:

UCL seems to be vastly better than Bayreuth, as quick searches on world rankings suggests. Though this method has flaws, I think it is pretty telling that the Shanghai ranking puts UCL at 21st in the world, and Bayreuth past 400... it also suggests that it is internationally recognised, which is a massive positive that I don't think you will be able to get elsewhere. I may be wrong, but I definitely think having a 'UCL Degree' will be much more valuable than having a better grade degree from a lesser university.

Next, London is a fantastically cosmopolitan city, so living and studying in it would be an experience unlike anything else. Also, being in London, you would have access to the various graduate jobs fairs put on locally, which have a reputation for being targetted by finance firms, city jobs, etc, though I can't verify that personally!

Most importantly, language. It seems to me that your main concern is with your English, but I don't think that's too much of a problem? Living in the UK would rapidly improve your language skills, and I believe that the university has a language learning centre, set up to ensure that everyone has the skills they need to complete their course. See here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/clie/english-for-academic-purposes
I get the impression that if the university want you enough to offer you a place on such a good course, they will invest time into you so that you can complete it! So, my opinion? Don't worry, come straight over to UCL and get started on your work! :smile:

Hi,

Are you a UCL student? Or and offer holder?:smile: What's your course?
Reply 5
Original post by aborbely
i,

Are you a UCL student? Or and offer holder?:smile: What's your course?

I'm actually doing PPE :smile: But I also applied for Philosophy and Economics courses so I did a lot of research into UCL in particular!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending