The Student Room Group

A-Level anxiety/stress - HELP!

Hello :smile:

(Apologies in advance for the long post and for maybe sounding a little too melodramatic ha)

I'm currently in the process of doing my A-Levels. I study Business, French and History. I have applied to go to university in September and only really need 3 Cs to get in (even though I'm predicted to get BBC). At the moment, I feel like I'd only be able to achieve CDD. I suffer really badly from anxiety and stress and feel like there is no help out there to help me deal with it. I am constantly worried about my exams and I have nervous breakdowns frequently. I often can't sleep because of exam-related stress.

I guess it all stems from the fact at college I've never really been able to understand what my teachers say during lessons...it's almost as if I have a really slow thought process. I've tried going home on an evening and going over notes etc but nothing stays in my head. When it comes to revision season I get so worked up I never know where to start and whenever I'm presented with a exam question, I just don't understand it. History is a really intense subject and I genuinely feel like I don't know anything. What would be the best way for me to teach myself two history topics considering I don't really know much?

As for revision itself, I've tried using a range of methods and techniques to help me absorb the information. But I've not been able to find a technique that suits me best. I'd say I'm more of a visual learner rather than reading books, understanding what I've read and then writing it down. I always seem to write too much information on my mind maps because I feel like it's important and would hate to miss it out.

Therapy-wise: I've tried counselling, however they were only interested in my emotional side because I get upset and cry that much....they seemed to think I'm emotional because of things that might be happening in my personal life, even though this isn't the case. I'm simply emotional because of all of my exam stress.
I've also tried talking to my teachers and learning support at college, however I seem to have had no luck there either - their argument and only support is basically ''all you do is over-complicate things''- which isn't really practical advice.

S
o what should I do regarding my anxiety??? And what should I do from now until May/June to ensure I fully understand my subjects in a simple way as I'm so limited for time???

I NEED to find a solution because I've had this issue for a long time, and it's not as if I don't want to learn, I really do!

Thank you!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
59 seconds by Richard Wiseman is a great book (the only self help book I would recommend)... I would also have a look into some stuff about sports psychology, there are some good ways to deal about stress in there... Also if you breathe in for 6 seconds and out for 6 seconds (and repeat) then you should feel much calmer quickly...

Also in terms of revising, the best thing to do is try and teach someone what you're learning about (parent, brother, dog, teddy bear) because to be able to explain it you need to understand it completely... also having post its around your room with facts on can be very helpful :smile:
Hoped this helped.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
In terms of revising I would try looking at getting a tutor. That way they'll be able to go through things at your pace and will be able to answer any questions you have. You could speak to your parents and get them to split the cost with you or something like that. You can ask anothr student to tutor you or you can get them online where you only pay for sessions that you do. If you do go online then look for one with experience of students with similar problems. That way they'll know how to tailor the sessions and may be able to give you advice on other things as well.

Best of luck x
i also tend to get stressed out over the old tests (although admittedly not as much as you; take my advice with a pinch of salt i guess.)
i've found that it's easy to start thinking of exams as more of an intellectual undertaking than they really are, especially when you're already anxious. it can be very useful to look at the mark schemes and examiners' reports and really examine what's required of you to get a certain mark--it's incredibly underwhelming, and hence rather reassuring, i promise!

good luck :smile:

p.s. i know people that would kill for your prose with a*s in essay-based subjects; self-confidence (or lack thereof) is a gigantic factor in exam success.

gl again~~!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it!!
Reply 5
You should really calm down and look at the facts! Your thinking process cannot possibly be slower than an average human mind, though practicing does affect thinking speed, which I'm sure you've done a lot. All you've gotta do is believe in yourself.

Don't get panicked looking at people who are totally relaxed about their exams, they will eventually study less than someone who is as worried as you, look at it this way, cause it's true!

Secondly, if the stress is too much, you should try practicing past exam papers and looking at the answers from the mark schemes and examiners report from xtremepaper.com and I assure you, you'll be surprised at how they accept answers with a lot less information than you could imagine. And chill, it's no big deal.

P.s. Sleep affects your studying ability a lot, don't lose it! You could take mild medications for sleep, e.g. half a tab relaxen, or seduxin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending