The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Sussex VS Kent Law schools?

Hello guys! I am in a dilemma. I've heard the best things about Kent uni's Law school, but haven't really heard anything about Sussex even though it's higher ranked. What would you choose if you were inbetween these two?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
bump
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
At the level of employment (which i assume you are referring to) there is little difference - to reiterate: an employer would not chose one graduate over the other, ceteris paribus.

Go with the uni you prefer!!!
Reply 3
Original post by Selym95
At the level of employment (which i assume you are referring to) there is little difference - to reiterate: an employer would not chose one graduate over the other, ceteris paribus.

Go with the uni you prefer!!!

AN employer might not, care to break that down to training contracts? Plus if this is one of the six months after graduation things then that's a bad sign as people who are going to be solicitors will still be in university.

(I am actually assuming you have all this at your fingertips. I'm just like that irritating little Mexican raccoon that taught us all maths)
Reply 4
Original post by Norton1
AN employer might not, care to break that down to training contracts? Plus if this is one of the six months after graduation things then that's a bad sign as people who are going to be solicitors will still be in university.

(I am actually assuming you have all this at your fingertips. I'm just like that irritating little Mexican raccoon that taught us all maths)

Hear, hear. I am all for statistical justification (however futile this may be when attempting to draw conclusions on 'employability' of law schools) however, for this situation there really is no need; and that is said with sincerity and practicality and not 'I can't be bothered to use any'.

Apologies, I made the mistake of referring to law firms as 'employers' - i will clarify in the future. Again, another assumption (which i stated in my previous post) that if the OP is referring to reputation there is little in it. Neither a magic or a high-street firm are likely to view either 'better' than the other; After oxbridge and then the top 10 this is when distinctions become blurred and one merely recognises universities as a solid RG/1994 group uni (if that)... If you can provide any statistics showing otherwise, or even another interpretation I will be happy consider it.
Reply 5
Original post by Selym95
Hear, hear. I am all for statistical justification (however futile this may be when attempting to draw conclusions on 'employability' of law schools) however, for this situation there really is no need; and that is said with sincerity and practicality and not 'I can't be bothered to use any'.

Apologies, I made the mistake of referring to law firms as 'employers' - i will clarify in the future. Again, another assumption (which i stated in my previous post) that if the OP is referring to reputation there is little in it. Neither a magic or a high-street firm are likely to view either 'better' than the other; After oxbridge and then the top 10 this is when distinctions become blurred and one merely recognises universities as a solid RG/1994 group uni (if that)... If you can provide any statistics showing otherwise, or even another interpretation I will be happy consider it.

You've made a pretty major assumption, that employability and legal employability map onto each other almost exactly. It might be the case that Kent so massively puts people off practicing law that they take other employment, but the statistics you would be relying on would not show that.

Here, for example is the Guardian's top 15 universities for graduate level employment or further study after six months:

Glasgow
Robert Gordon
London School of Economics
Cambridge
Aberdeen
Reading
UCL
Oxford
Strathclyde
Edinburgh
Southampton
Warwick
Durham
Manchester
Birmingham

One of the most noticeable things there is the overrepresentation of Scottish universities, why would that be? I have no idea, but I would be hard pressed to suggest that table is a good reason for someone to pick Strathclyde over Edinburgh or Reading over UCL.

I think you've also made a big assumption that the OP wanted to know about employability, rather than student experience or the joys of going to a campus university etc.
Reply 6
Original post by Norton1
You've made a pretty major assumption, that employability and legal employability map onto each other almost exactly. It might be the case that Kent so massively puts people off practicing law that they take other employment, but the statistics you would be relying on would not show that.

Here, for example is the Guardian's top 15 universities for graduate level employment or further study after six months:

One of the most noticeable things there is the overrepresentation of Scottish universities, why would that be? I have no idea, but I would be hard pressed to suggest that table is a good reason for someone to pick Strathclyde over Edinburgh or Reading over UCL.

I think you've also made a big assumption that the OP wanted to know about employability, rather than student experience or the joys of going to a campus university etc.

No i haven't: I explicitly stated that by using 'employers' I was referring to law firms!

As stated above, once again: I explicitly stated that I did not refer to any statistics as they really are not necessary. There is a hierarchy among law universities and the two universities in question are undoubtedly in the same band, thus going to one over the other is not likely to make you more attractive as a potential employee for a law firm.

Again, I'm not sure why you have spontaneously added this - yes, i asked for any suitable statistics but as you said, that table just isn't reliable and seems irrelevant to any of the previous discussions.

Yes, I did make an assumption that he was referring to employability, but I correctly justified this topic (as this is what the majority of people ask on TSR) and then went on to say that the university he/she preferred should be the over-riding factor as the two reputations are equal.
Reply 7
Original post by Norton1

Original post by Selym95

Thanks for your replies! I was talking generally, I care about everything because I'm trying to compare the two anyhow possible such as by their facilities, teaching, reputation and of course their employability. But as I see both are about of the same band. Now going a bit off-topic but, would you think that Uni of Westminster is in the same band too? It's my third choice and I've got a lower offer by it and I would have no problem studying in London whatsoever, perhaps I even prefer that, taking into account that I wanna live there in the future.So settling into there from now would make it so much easier for me. But is it kinda similar? Or its not worth it to waste my chance to go to either Kent or Sussex for Westminster?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending