The Student Room Group

New Tech Bacc A-level alternative launched: would you do it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Lets look at it this way, this country is very different to the way it runs the education system compared to Germany or the USA. I believe that the UK is more of an academic country than a country of Vocational qualifications, that's why our universities are the best in the world. I don't want to sound mean but doing this new 'technical baccalaureate' is a simple way to get young people off the JSA and into some form of education. Plus imagine if you did undertake this new 'technical baccalaureate' and then found out that the government changed hands and the decided to scrap it. This would leave you with virtually no qualifications and not a stand out to employers. I think the way forward is through academia.
To begin with, my knowledge on the TechBacc is based on these two articles: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/9580857/Labours-Technical-Baccalaureate-can-save-the-pupils-ignored-by-Michael-Goves-EBacc-Certificates.html

and this one
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2013/apr/22/michael-gove-unveils-tech-bacc

I have no real opinion about it and how I have understood it, it means that it shall be ensured, that when leaving school with GSCEs that doesn't mean, your education is finished, but that every young person should be able to get further lessons in English and Math (and an essay?!?!). AND if they present these skills successfully, they are awarded in addition to their apprenticeship/BTEC a "TechBacc", or? Thus the main purpose is to provide them with a "paper" prooving, that they are able to persue an education on a higher level and had the opportunity to learn more than "just" their job.

Original post by Zomo

Germany has been offering this sort of route for years, and the US is also starting to notice the potential economic benefits of doing so.

I don't really get that. Germany has not something like a TechBacc, it just has a very good apprenticeship system and a long tradition of a given the students a very broad education. Nevertheless the success of German apprenticeships lies in the fact, that you do them both in your company and in school. There is no BTEC at school, after which your employer has to restart by training you at your job often for equipment a school simply could not offer, because it is too expensive. During the apprenticeship you have further lessons at the "vacational school". Nevertheless to be able to go to University you have to spend some time in education again after your apprenticeship.

Original post by Ajmal.M
Lets look at it this way, this country is very different to the way it runs the education system compared to Germany or the USA. I believe that the UK is more of an academic country than a country of Vocational qualifications, that's why our universities are the best in the world.

Yes ... do you know anything about the more vocational courses and the German system? (The US system is very different to the German and the UK.) I mean it is way better in my eyes to train at a company than learning a lot of theory at a university for doing the same job at the end. The UK doesn't only consists out of Oxbridge, Imperial and so on. I am not saying one system is perfect, every country has it strength, but you are a little bit "unrealistic". It has way more worth to have a good job, than a "University diploma" just to search for a job, because the apprentice know more. University is not the right thing for every job. And "sadly" not everyone is the right one for going to university and/or doing an academic job.
Reply 22
Original post by Zomo
The Government will launch the new Technical Baccalaureate today, which aims to boost the status of vocational education in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22225953

Tech Bacc candidates will need to show abilities in maths, literacy and a 'high level vocational qualification'.

It is designed to be a performance measure for schools on a par with A-levels and will provide 'credible evidence of skills for students to show to employers' in areas such as IT, construction, retail, hospitality and digital media.

Labour proposed something similar last year so there is wide support for the proposals.

Germany has been offering this sort of route for years, and the US is also starting to notice the potential economic benefits of doing so.

What do you think? If you've already done A-levels, would you have done a Tech Bacc if it was on offer? If you're not at that stage yet, will you consider doing the Tech Bacc?

How very Ivan Illich of the conservatives...
Reply 23
So is it basically a sh*tty level 1 BTEC?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending