The Student Room Group

Death of parent - Student Finance Advice

My father died last year during my A-Level final exams, and i've been living independently (I live alone, and pay for all bills) ever since. I haven't lived with my mum for 10 years, and although I have a relationship with her, she has her own family (separate to me), and is a housewife so has absolutely no means of supporting me (she has never financially supported me).

I contacted Student Finance, and they won't accept my father's documentation of his income as he is now deceased, despite the paperwork being relevant to that tax year, where he was alive and supporting me. So I am being told that my mother's income is to be assessed.

Is there any way that my own household income (for this year) can be assessed instead? Or has anyone else been in this position?

My mother is of no help, unfortunately. She's reluctant to let me move away to university, so isn't providing me with any help with the application.
Reply 1
First of all, sorry to hear about your father's death. :frown:

Are you estranged from your mum, if so, do you have evidence of this?
Original post by OU Student
First of all, sorry to hear about your father's death. :frown:

Are you estranged from your mum, if so, do you have evidence of this?

Thank you :smile:

I'm not estranged, as I visit her every so often. :/
I have a similar situation, my mother passed away a year ago I have been renting independently since then, I have no contact with my father neither wish to however their doesn't seem to be an option for this on the student finance application?

Does anyone know which answer I need to select?

I havent spoken or lived with my father for over 16 or so years and know he will not financially support me.

Would be very grateful for any replies as limited in places to go for advice, thanks (:
Original post by LoisFrench
I have a similar situation, my mother passed away a year ago I have been renting independently since then, I have no contact with my father neither wish to however their doesn't seem to be an option for this on the student finance application?

Does anyone know which answer I need to select?

I havent spoken or lived with my father for over 16 or so years and know he will not financially support me.

Would be very grateful for any replies as limited in places to go for advice, thanks (:

Im going through this at the minute too! When I applied I selected the estranged from my parents option because my father died and I have no contact with my mother…i then got a letter off student finance asking me for proof of estrangement. So a letter from a professional who knows about your situation. In my case it was a support worker and a college tutor. Be prepared for student finance to mess you around because i've heard its really hard to convince them ������
I'm so sorry this has happened to you, however, you could ask your GB or teacher to write a letter stating your current situation (note the person must've known you for over 12 months ).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending