The Student Room Group

I want to study medicine as a mamture student holding a non-science degree?

Hi everyone
Can you please help me on this.
I want to study medicine as a mature student who has a non-science degree (BA HONS in Accounting and Finance, obtaines Upper Second-Class), and AAAA Alevels in biology, chemistry physics and maths.
so far I found these universities that offers Graduate medicine course (4 years), Kings Collge, LeIcester, Soughampton, Swansea, Notingham, St George's.
The first 3 universities want UKCAT. and the other 3 universities look for GAMSAT.
Which one do you think I should stay away from?
and isn't it better if I start 6 year medicine course ( with foundation year)? what do you think?
and what universities do you thinks is easier to get in for graduates?
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by naar
Hi everyone
I want to study medicine as a mature student who has a non-science degree (BA HONS in Accounting and Finance, obtaines Upper Second-Class), and AAAA Alevels in biology, chemistry physics and maths.
so far I found these universities that offers Graduate medicine course (4 years), Kings Collge, LeIcester, Soughampton, Swansea, Notingham, St George's.
The first 3 universities want UKCAT. and the other 3 universities look for GAMSAT.
and isn't it better if I start 6 year medicine course ( with foundation year)? what do you think?
Thanks

There's also Newcastle, and probably a number of others. I believe Newcastle accept people from non-science backgrounds.

Anyway, moving to Medicine.
Original post by naar
Hi everyone
Thanks

The 4 year course is designed for graduates, the 6 year one is designed for people who haven't done A level Chem and Bio. Unless you have an awful lot of money to throw at this, I'd try to get into a 4 year program. You would be eligible to apply for the normal 5 year program as well at most unis, but the funding arrangements for the 5 year and 6 year program leave you significantly worse off than on the 4 year.

There's no such thing as a uni that's easier to get into. Pick the ones whose requirements play to your strengths, and I'd avoid putting three GAMSAT unis down - you have your UKCAT score in hand before you apply, but your GAMSAT score is unknown at that point, so it's a risk to potentially waste 3 choices.
Reply 4
Warwick
Kcl
Newcastle
Master the UKCAT and get a high 730+ and these options will be good. They are the 3 i applied too this year with a 765 UKCAT and non science degree. I got 3 interviews, 1 offer, 1 rejection and I withdrew from 1 before the interview

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending