The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AtomicMan
Just did the SJT practice test out of interest (and procrastination), and scored 42/71. How have others done?

Hey where did you find the SJT practice test? Is it on the ukcat website?
Original post by MJK91
Or do I pick a different letter because they expect us to pick C? :P One of the great questions in life...

OR be wild and just click a random letter or keep spelling B A D over and over again...
Original post by lcsurfer
OR be wild and just click a random letter or keep spelling B A D over and over again...

I think have stumbled upon an amazing plan :colone:

Are you feeling nostalgic yet? :tongue:

Original post by MJK91
That's good to know, Imperial would be ****ing awesome! Massive congratulations on that, September doesn't feel long away at all! Good luck with everything :smile:

Thanks, I think my official start date is 1st October (one of the latest starts for GEP courses!:smile:)

Original post by 87daffodil
Hey, I've been using the 600 questions book and for the QR section it suggests using 30 seconds per a question, some of the questions are quite wordy and it takes me half that time to read them- hence I'm failing at this section, any tips?
Thanks
:smile:

I wouldn't worry about that. Try to be as fast as you can but the 600Q books are not representative (not aware of anyone that was able to do them in 30 seconds). Practice your mental arithmetic as using the calculator will slow you down and practice reading quickly and taking in necessary info quickly (don't need UKCAT resources you can do the same thing with a newspaper imo) it will help with the VR section mainly but could also help with the QR.
With AR, ret not to get too fustrated with it. Just keep doing it and start with the SCAN technique then slowly it will start to click and you will see patterns. That's what I did, and make sure you revisit everyone you got wrong esp on medify as you will start seeing the same sort of patterns reoccuring each time.
I swear a good 50% of the UKCAT is being able to keep calm and not panic through each section

What is the SCAN technique?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Joannywhite
What is the SCAB technique?

I pneumonic used to help identify patterns in the abstract reasoning.

Shape
Colour
Arrangement
Number (e.g. no. of shapes/sides/triangles etc)

Most of the patterns will fall into these categories.
Original post by mli26
I am doing the UKCAT quantitative reasoning practice from the 600 questions book. Is it just me or are these questions really difficult? On average, I have to spend 2-3 mins for one question when the recommended time is only 30 seconds/question.
DOes anyone have any experience regarding QR and want to share any tips for it?

I've moved your thread here, have a read of the OP :smile:
Original post by Beska
Hi there. Check out this FAQ for general UKCAT/book questions: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT

Check out the top post of this thread, which I have now merged your thread with, for info on the changes: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2338356

oh thanks :smile:
Original post by manupalace
I pneumonic used to help identify patterns in the abstract reasoning.

Shape
Colour
Arrangement
Number (e.g. no. of shapes/sides/triangles etc)

Most of the patterns will fall into these categories.

Oh thanks :smile:
Original post by Joannywhite
Oh thanks :smile:

There's also CATSPENIS:

Colours, Angles, Type (shape), Symmetry, Position, Exceptions (confounders or key items), Number (of all shapes/sides/individual shapes), Intersections (number, direction), Size.
guys is the ace medicine course any good? really cant decide whether to go on it or not?
Who here has done some VR questions in the 600 UKCAT practice book?

I'm finding them a bit tricky. I'm getting like 4/8 :/
Original post by manupalace
I think have stumbled upon an amazing plan :colone:

Are you feeling nostalgic yet? :tongue:

Haha, I spent the day helping a few people with the QR maths and some VR in return for wine :biggrin: haha, it was a bit nostalgic of the week where i had no social life revising for the retched thing!
Only like 60 days til i start :biggrin:
Haha, I spent the day helping a few people with the QR maths and some VR in return for wine :biggrin: haha, it was a bit nostalgic of the week where i had no social life revising for the retched thing!
Only like 60 days til i start :biggrin:

:woo:

91 days for me :redface: (tbh the extra rest and time to earn some cash will be useful)
Reply 593
I feels so behind....not done any questions for a while, being camping like crazy!!

Do you recommend 2 or 3 week of medify?
Original post by Ama2007
I feels so behind....not done any questions for a while, being camping like crazy!!

Do you recommend 2 or 3 week of medify?

I think it depends on how many hours you do a day. I used it when I was in school and didn't finish the questions in 2 weeks. But if you're spending most of the day using it then I would say go for 2 weeks :smile:
Reply 595
Okay this may seem a very stupid question but I will ask anyway...:colondollar:

If you choose 3 weeks do you get more questions or do you just get more time to do the same amount of questions?
Original post by Ama2007
Okay this may seem a very stupid question but I will ask anyway...:colondollar:

If you choose 3 weeks do you get more questions or do you just get more time to do the same amount of questions?

Just more time using the program. There are like 2000 questions. 2 weeks is plenty of time if you can put in a few hours a day or what not.
When will universities let us know how they will be using the SJT scores?
Original post by sandrabondaruk
When will universities let us know how they will be using the SJT scores?

Don't know, but to be honest I think it's almost certain they'll just be using Band 2 and above.
Reply 599
Does medify have the new type of AR?

Latest

Trending

Trending